Asus 8800GT - no temp?

McCheese

n00b
I recently got an Asus EN8800GT from newegg, it turned out to be the one with the new "glaciatornator" cooler or whatever it's called. It works fine and all, but I can't read any temps off it. I searched around and I'm not the only one with this issue, but Asus tech support has no clue on it.

RivaTuner, nTune, the Asus included software all read 0.0C. no fluctuation at all. I took the stupid cooler off, added some heatsinks to the mosfets and put on an Accellero S1 using zalman ram heatsinks and some Ceramique and have a 120mm low speed Nexus blowing across it from my P182's HD-cage duct, so I'm not worried it's overheating, but boy would it be nice to be able to read the GPU temp.

For what it's worth the monitoring programs have no trouble getting the core, shader and ram speeds from the card, or stats from anywhere else in the computer (cpu temps, etc...)

Any ideas?

Edit: forgot to mention I tried both the drivers that came with the card and the current Vista 64 nVidia drivers.

Do you have a picture of this card? I'm intrigued as the only Asus EN8800GT that I'm aware of is the reference design with the Company of Heroes stickered cooler.

[EDIT: Nevermind, now I remember... yeah I think this card also uses a custom PCB by Asus so that might be why the temp reading isn't working. You might want to check the Asus support site for a BIOS update to solve this issue]

Here's a pic of it, I tried to flash the BIOS already but it didn't see the card at all.

Well at least you have the coolest temps in all the forums...;)

Just out of curiosity, have you tried Atitool at all?
I doubt it will work, just cause like the rest this is also software based, but you never know.

Like mentioned ^^^ Asus Support probably has a viable answer.

ATItool was a no-go. I've submitted a ticket to ASUS support, but others doing the same have had no such luck. There's no BIOS for this specific "R2" model on the site either. The BIOS for the 8800GT cards doesn't recognize this version.

I did find some info on a Japanese site:

http://www.unitycorp.co.jp/support/faq/answer/vga/en8800gt_g_htdp512m.html

Ran it through babel and got this:

Q:You cannot verify GPU temperature from the monitoring software such as SmartDoctor and nTUNE. Is there a method of verifying GPU temperature?

A:Because the GPU temperature sensor is not loaded, the monitor of the GPU temperature with the software cannot do this product. Please acknowledge.

So it looks like the sensor is disabled or non-existant. Maybe they'll come up with a specific BIOS for this revision soon. I'll keep this thread updated of my progress because I know I'm not the only one with this issue.

UPDATE:

Just got off the phone with Asus, it got passed directly up to level 3, whatever that means. They're going to try to duplicate the problem it sounds like, but when I described the card to them, they didn't seem to know it existed. They're supposed to call me back.

I also have the ASUS 8800GT and SmartDoctor only shows overclocking sliders.

Similarly the Nvidia drivers and Ntune have the fan control and temperature portion of the Nvidia Control Panel greyed out.

From what I've found on the web, it looks like it's a driver/BIOS problem with the 8800GTs in general. A number of forums on the web claim that the 8800GT fan is locked at 29% until the card gets above 70C or so.

I've sent a note to ASUS support to inquire about a fix or update to get SmartDoctor working, but they haven't responded other than to ask me for more information.

Other companies like XFX and have released BIOS updates to address the 29% fan issue.

I've heard of people having success getting temperature readings and fan settings from Rivatuner off the guru3D.com website. That's not an option for me because I run Vista 64-bit and the whole digital drivier signing thing means that Rivatuner's driver won't install because it's not signed.

I'm a little disappointed with ASUS since they're usually rock solid and very good about being out front of the competition as far as service and updates go. It looks like companies like XFX are ahead of ASUS this time.

Out of curiosity, does yours look like mine (see a few posts up) or is it the reference design?

I'm running Vista 64 and didn't have any trouble getting the latest version of RivaTuner to run.

Also I have yet to hear back from Asus tech support. No surprise here. When the 9XXX series comes I'll definitely be going EVGA or XFX.

My 8800GT looks the same as yours. No shroud. Just the fan with a lot of fins and secondary heat sink at the end of the board.

I tried to run Rivatuner 2.06. Which version were you running?

I "upgraded" from an EVGA 8800GTS 320Meg superclocked version to the Asus 8800GT. The fan and temp controls worked great on the EVGA through the Nvidia control panel and Ntune.

I hope Asus gets it together, but if that one thing you found is right then perhaps there isn't any temperature sensor in the Asus board. I just can't see that being true though.

Crossing my fingers...

I'm running 2.06 as well, with the C2D plugin, on Vista Home Premium 64.

an update on the issue, someone over on a similar thread at Tom's Hardware posted this.

4WD said:
I have spoken to Asus Support again. They told me that it is a nVidia driver problem and there is no facility to get informations about the temp in the next time. A Thermal Sensor is certainly on the card!

I think that the dude at the Hotline told a lot of rubbish.

Sorry for my bad english

regards from germany

I can't imagine that there's no temp sensor on the card at all. How's the fan supposed to increase speed when the temps get to 70 degrees or higher if there's no sensor or is the fan set to run at 100% permanently? If it's running at 29% and there's no sensor then the card will burn out or crash in 3D intensive games!! If it is set to increase to 100% when temps reach a higher limit then there must be a temp sensor. For me the main issue here is to be able to speed up the fans especially for 3D intensive games. If I can't do that then I might as well throw the card in the bin because it won't last long if the fans are locked at 29 degrees and there's no temp sensor!!

The only other thing I can think of is that it is an engineering fault and with the 'MADE IN CHINA' label responsible for so many rejects lately I wouldn't be surprised if Asus's Chinese connection is to blame. All the other 8800GT cards on the market have temp and fan controls enabled except this one even the TOP card which has the same Glacier fan so can this honestly be a Nvidia driver issue?? I think it needs either a bios update specifically for this card or it is faulty engineering but I'm certain a bios update can get the fan controls working because it is the bios which is locking them. Nvidia drivers work with other 8800GT cards just not this one which makes me lean towards a bios lock which has to be unlocked. Very poor quality control but that's 'Made in China' for you.

Here's my response. They don't seem to have even the slightest clue that this is a major issue with many users.

Dear Valued Customer,
Thank you for contacting ASUS Technical Support Department .
As to the question you consulted:
Please help us confirm whether BIOS and latest Smartdoc
(you can download at:
http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/vga/app/SmartDoc5081.zip)
can read the card's temperature or not.
Sorry for any inconvenience caused you.
Best wish you have a great Merry X'mas and a wonderful Happy New Year 2008!

Best regards!

ASUS Customer Service Center (China)

Anyone in the mood for some GOOD NEWS???

Latest reply from Asus today:

Dear Valued Customer,
Thank you for contacting ASUS Technical Support Department .
As to the question you consulted:
I have contact our RD engineer.
This card is adopted special thermal senser, we will release a new version of Smartdoctor in this 2 or 3 days, which can read the temperature of this card.
Would you please wait for a couple of days?
Apologise for all the inconvenience caused you.
It would be wonderful if the above information can help you.For any further questions, please feel free to contact us again.
Best wish you have a great Merry X'mas and a wonderful Happy New Year 2008!

Let's hope this is true :p:p

Riva tuner isn't an option for me because my Vista setup had automatically installed all the latest updates.

There are several Windows updates that prevent unsigned drivers from being loaded. 8-(

I'm glad to hear that Asus is going to release a new SmartDoctor to get things working again.

The new SmartDoctor is out, it lets you see the GPU temp, but not the RAM temps. Some people haven't been able to get the OC sliders to actually affect anything, but mine seem to work fine. I pushed 700/1600/1855 so far and my GPU is only hitting 44C under load with the S1 on it.

I got the new SmartDoctor -- I had to get the link of the Asus forums as the main download site didn't seem to show it.

I've got temps -- 40 Celsius at idle. I ran Crysis for about a half hour and then checked temps and it was 54 Celsius.

There doesn't seem to be fan control or fan speed monitoring with this SmartDoctor though. But at least temps are a start.

Very glad to see that some of you are getting temp readings now and from what it seems the readings look quite cool with the new fan. I don't think there will be an overheating problem with those with this fan.

Here's the latest but I'm definitely much encouraged by the temp readings regardless of this latest news. But if they could fix the temps then they most likely can also fix the fan adjustments. If not it's still a great card with a great cooler.

Apologize for any inconvenience.
Simply speaking, the card EN8800 which with a big fan on it can not adjust fan speed.

Well that's too bad about not having fan control. However since the temps don't seem to get too bad I'm not that upset about it. The only downside is not being able to detect a fan failure.

I'm not an overclocker so I won't be generating extra heat beyond what the heatsink and fan can do from the factory.

I agree 100%. Currently I'm using a Gainward 7800gs GLH card and the fan is set at 100% and I've never had to adjust it because of noise and the cooling is plenty good even in hot months. It's a 2 slot cooler and although it has fan adjustment I've never ever needed it once in over a year of gaming.

I would rather have the 8800GT 2 slot cooler without fan adjustments than the 1 slot cooler which I've heard runs too hot no matter what fan speeds are set at. From reports I've seen so far the 2 slot cooler is quite good and maybe Asus didn't worry about a fan adjustment because it runs fairly quiet and keeps the temps low.

The important thing to me is that the cooler is good enough to keep the temps under control and this beauty definitely is from reports I've read so far while it's former 1 slot version has had many users and reviewers complaining why companies didn't use a 2 slot cooler. Well Asus seemed to listen and acted quickly on it and we are all about 7 degrees better off than the 1 slot version.

I got the new SmartDoctor -- I had to get the link of the Asus forums as the main download site didn't seem to show it.

I've got temps -- 40 Celsius at idle. I ran Crysis for about a half hour and then checked temps and it was 54 Celsius.

There doesn't seem to be fan control or fan speed monitoring with this SmartDoctor though. But at least temps are a start.

54 degrees after 30 minutes of Crysis is excellent and 40 idle is superb. Even if the temps go to 65 or more in summer that's nothing for this type of card. They can go as high as 125 I think so your card is having a vacation playing Crysis at that temp. Less intensive games than Crysis won't raise temps much more over the idle temps so I think this is a very good cooler on this version.

Dear Valued Customer,
Though your card cannot adjust fan speed, the fan run with fully speed it wouldnot be overheated.
(BTW: generally bluescreen always caused by CPU and memory)
Please check the temperature and fan speed of with our latest Smartdoc:
http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/vga/app/SmartDoc5084.zip
If the fan of the card runs slow and caused overheat, please simply bring it back to your place of purchase for the unit to be checked.

Date:2007-12-22 19:07:04

Apologize for any inconvenience.
Simply speaking, the card EN8800 which with a big fan on it can not adjust fan speed.
Best regards!

ASUS Customer Service Center (China)

I bought one of these two days ago and received + installed it today. I thought my card was broken up until I found this thread. Thankfully it's fine, I'm sitting at a lofty 38C idle, haven't played any games yet or overclocked but I'll return some results soon. The fan seems to do a fine job as it stands.

Dang, fancy that. The stock heatsink is pretty incredible, 38C idle/42C load, the load barely moves as I increase clock speeds, currently torturing at 700/1600/1900 (core/shader/mem) and the max it has touched is 43C.

Funny thing too, I bought a VF900CU for this, thinking that the stock HSF would suck, and now I don't know if I should put it on or not :confused:.

Ive heard that ppl with XFX or eVGA (stock cooler) Had temp above 60...

I got the Big FAN. I cannot hear it. Its silent since my 120mm Case Fan is loud .. lol..

35 Idle 46 Load.. wow.. and the game Company of heroes full setting No aa is amazing.

Do we have to register for waranty ?

-ForceWare 16925_Vista32

Well thanks for posting link for new asusdoc. I also got this bad boy because it had the non-reference cooler. I'll post some temps and OCing data in a couple of days.

**EDIT**
Can you guys report what your voltage is? and what clocks/temps you have....Thanks

Hi Guys,

I got a same card likes McCheese ‘s and encountered exactly the same problem.
I downloaded the SMARTDoctor from the link on previous page while the problem still exists.
After I installed SMARTDoctor and reboot my computer, a window appears and shows a message “Cannot find resource.dll”. Then the program stops.

Does anyone have any idea to solve this problem, please help me. Thanks!

Hi Guys,

I got a same card likes McCheese ‘s and encountered exactly the same problem.
I downloaded the SMARTDoctor from the link on previous page while the problem still exists.
After I installed SMARTDoctor and reboot my computer, a window appears and shows a message “Cannot find resource.dll”. Then the program stops.

Does anyone have any idea to solve this problem, please help me. Thanks!

Reinstall the program?

Make sure it's version 5.08 or later, for your specific operating system.

people, to get the temp reading with the rivatunner 2.08 u have to change the data provider item in the sensor set up screen. i've allready posted in the asus forum,

Just click in that order

temp_solution.jpg

PD:
1) This screens are from my office PC, i got the 8800gt in my house PC
2) Excuse my bad english

Back