your pc game of the year v3

pc game of the year

• Total voters

Leb_CRX

Gawd
a lot of debate has been going on in the other thread in the general section

figured I'd make a poll...and I'm bored waiting for witcher to download

vote/add in the thread...for others (and I didn't get all the games), reply

and yes, I included orange box as 1 item, because it was sold as 1...some of you will disagree, and that's fine

Fantasy Wars.

PS: Should've not made another thread just to add Quake Wars.

You should've seperated HL2:Ep2 and TF2 but I voted for Orange Box because it was the only one I've played so far.

You should've seperated HL2:Ep2 and TF2 but I voted for Orange Box because it was the only one I've played so far.

But then you would be excluding Portal, the true GotY.

Fantasy Wars.

PS: Should've not made another thread just to add Quake Wars.

I tried to edit the poll and realized I couldn't

I tried to make another one and messed up

so I made a third one and got it right...hopefully I didn't piss off any mods...

it's like my first day on the internets

COD4 - fantastic SP and the most addictive MP i've ever played.
TF2 is a close second (everytime a pyro says something and it's muffled by his mask i laugh my ass off :D).

Personally a game must be epic, have a great story, beautiful soundtrack and fun gameplay. The one that almost fits is EP2. It did have a good story, the game was somewhat epic, the soundtrack was alright at most, but gameplay was ridiculously fun.

Games need to take away two things from the Halo series: the soundtrack(full orchestra and epic theme) as well as the monumental scope of the game(one hero, and you really get the sense that everything is relying on you alone).

Cod4 was fun - the Portal/Episode 2/TF2 trio in the Orange box knocks the socks of it though.

Orange Box was good, but I've gotten the most fun out of Call of Duty 4. Great single player game and excellent MP. UT3 was good also, but it just feels like a prettier version of UT2004. Crysis wins points for being the prettiest game out there and having physics that are second to none. Beyond that it is much to like Far Cry to get my vote for game of the year. Like Far Cry, I felt that Crysis's MP sucked.

I vote The Orange Box, solely for Portal. It has been the only "new" game I have played in years, everything else has just been remakes of the same general ideas.

I voted orange box. It is almost unfair to not have those games separate. I enjoyed all three of them quite a bit. CoD4 MP gets a near second, (might have came in first if it were not for how invasive and useless PB is). UT3 a distant 3rd.

The orange box is a package, HL2 and HL2 ep1 cant possibly win GOTY again (HL2), nor can they win it for 2007, I vote for it being removed from the list, or atleast the 3 games separated.

Stalker FTW,
World in conflict second, UT3 3rd, Crysis 4th, COD4 5th, Then it comes down to bioshock, TF2 (its only MP), and a few others.

I wish it was Hellgate: London but it was not meant to be, seemed to be rushed and buggy and the multi player doesnt live up to expections. This was the year of the big titles which where mostly big disapointments.

Black Box for me, err Orange Box

So many good shooters this year....hard to choose...yea i had to do it, i went for Crysis

Orange Box for sure. So many different games that will last me for a long time. Portal is the most innovative game this year, and I'm still not sick of TF2.

Out of those, I've only played BioShock and Quake Wars. And while BioShock is a fantastic game, I played through it once and likely won't play through it again. Quake Wars on the other hand, is all I've been playing since I got it, so unless the Orange Box drops to a non-ridiculous price in the next week or so (so that I can get it in "this year"....and I know I'll love Ep2), I have to give my vote to Quake Wars.

Out of those, I've only played BioShock and Quake Wars. And while BioShock is a fantastic game, I played through it once and likely won't play through it again. Quake Wars on the other hand, is all I've been playing since I got it, so unless the Orange Box drops to a non-ridiculous price in the next week or so (so that I can get it in "this year"....and I know I'll love Ep2), I have to give my vote to Quake Wars.

Wow, I can't believe anyone would vote for Quake Wars. It was easily the most dissappointing game of this year. I looked forward to it, and it just felt like BF2142 with better frame rates and the physics of Quake 3. The weapons, physics, damage system and virtually everything just felt off to me.

Bioshock was good, but it has low replay value as far as I am concerned. UT3 and COD4 are my two current favorites. I liked the Orange Box and I'll continue to play it given some more time, but I've gotten far more enjoyment for my money out of the afore mentioned UT3 and COD4. Crysis was great but I was dissappointed in the multiplayer.

CoD4 multi player is excellent but single player is highly overrated. besides a few missions which i enjoyed i found it to be pretty average. the fact that i could run through a whole level without firing a single bullet is pretty lame, the game plays itself all you have to do is make it to the next checkpoint without dieing and the never-ending onslaught of npc will stop spawning and kill each other off . orange box was all around is much more worthy for goty so i choose it instead.

Gotta go with the Orange Box for the PC. Only decent multiplayer game to come out in years as far as I'm concerned.

If Portal could be up for Game of the Year it would win hands down.... I picked Orange Box followed by CoD4. I dont have Bioshock but the demo was a blast. And lame or not I am having a helluva a lot of fun with Hellgate London.

Orange box was $25 at best buy a while ago and they had plenty in the store. I don't think thats a ridiculous price.

Enemy Territory: Quake Wars gets my vote... there's so much to do, it's much better than the battlefield games, it has much more depth. And the developers are awesome!

1. Orange Box - Portal was awesome, EP2 was enjoyable and tf2 kept me entertained for a couple months.
2. COD4 - single player was like watching a A+ movie
3. Gears of War - hey its fun
4. Bioshock - it was ok

Crysis was the biggest disappointment this year

How so.

It was a big disappointment in terms of the hype that went behind crysis, but it wasn't a disappointing game. Very unoptimized however, blame EA.

Unoptimized
graphics that did not reflect actual gameplay
storyline that made me snore

I thought cod4 looked alot better, at least on my machine.

Witcher - first crpg in years which isn't a fantasy/star wars heroic gayfest. It's dirty, gritty and fucking awesome. GOTY for me, even despite tech problems on launch. Hopefully the christmas patch will fix them.

Some comments on other titles:

Crysis is a technological marvel and it deserves 1st prizes in every tech contest. Gameplay was really cool (b/c of advanced physics and great graphics) but story and characters sucked. So, no GOTY.

Orange Box - cool, Portal was interesting but IMO HL2 was overhyped, so were EP1 and EP2. I didn't like the story from the beginning (beginning meaning HL1) and in HL2 it only got worse. Silent Gordon is getting fucking ridiculous.

COD4 - if there was no Witcher, COD4 would definitely be the GOTY for me. Like another posted said - it's like a great action movie with really damn EPIC scenes (Havoc scene, end of Act I etc).

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - one of the most immersing games of all time, at least IMO. Inventory system, ballistics, overall combat are IMO waaaaaaaaay underrated. I'm eagerly awaiting the next installment in the series, hopefully they're going to improve the survival and inventory management aspects of the game to make it look even more realistic. And the fake endings were a great idea - even when I finished the game it was damn fun to look at gaming forums and see al those "WTF?" threads started by all those speed runners :D

mad. said:
Silent Gordon is getting fucking ridiculous.

Why? I personally like it very much. I can imagine what I, as the Freeman, would say instead of having a developer stick words in my character's mouth. It doesn't make a difference what I "say," but that isn't as large of a difference as having Gordon say the same thing every time a certain point in the game is reached as you would think. No matter what, all of the events that follow your conversation would be the same, in accordance with what the developer wants. So, it's not really that ridiculous in the context of the HL games.

I've had a lot of fun with the Orange Box this year. A close second would be the Witcher- it's a great game that is an unabashed Computer RPG, complete with 80 page manual. I hope that it does well commercially, so that we can see more from this developer.

Orange box was $25 at best buy a while ago and they had plenty in the store. I don't think thats a ridiculous price.

Yeah, that's not a bad price considering I was expecting to be able to buy JUST Ep. 2 for like 20 bucks.

Voted for Bioshock. I have serious problems considering the Orange Box as a single game for GOTY, but I'm tired of debating that point with people.

Orange Box!

I admit it is a bit unfair, but it was awesome. EP2 was okay, Portal was fun and innovative, and TF2 is the first online game I have played for some time that I liked.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R and HL2 Ep 2 were my two favourites.

Bioshock and Crysis were my biggest disappointments of the year. Overrated and over hyped. By comparison System Shock 1 & 2 and FarCry were much better games.

There's a lot of love for The Witcher on here. I'm gonna have to and check it out over Christmas - I'm after a game after completing COD 4, Crysis, Bioshock, HL2 Ep2 and Gears of War. All the games seemed to come out at once, now there is little to play.

Back