My volt modded 8800GT results

LordBritish

2[H]4U
I volt modded my evga 8800GT SC using a modded BIOS.

I have final OC results in.

The default for an evga 8800GT SC is 650/1625/950 (Core/Shader/Mem).

My final maximum OC results are 700/1750/960.

I use ATITool artifact test in order to test for stability. My threshold for stability is a minimum of 3 hours of error free artifact testing.

The biggest improvement I see in the voltmod was the shader speed - prior to the voltmod, I could only do 1680 tops.

I didn't get a really great overclocking 8800GT to begin with so at least it's a little faster.

Yes, I know there are people with plain vanilla 8800GTs who can overclock more than me w/o a voltmod, but I'm still glad for whatever little speed I can squeeze out of it.

Now I still have the option of stepping up to an evga 8800GTS 512 which I'm considering since my 8800GT is a relatively poor overclocker.

I also voltmodded my 8800GT. Same results but I can up my shaders to 1760

For those interested, you can use your stock bios and just modify it with nibitor, it's very simple and safe. Just move the "extra" vid option to 1.1

Also, you cannot go over 1.1V with a softmod (at least not one that is known), changing hexs in nitbitor to anything over 1.1 defaults it back to 1.1 or 1.05 (forgot which)

... don't know this for certain, but I'm thinking this is pure placebo effect.

The G80s had the option to change voltage in BIOS but the setting did nothing at all. I seriously doubt that's changed with the 92s.

The voltmod is definitely working.

My temps and shader overlcock has increased.

Interestingly, my core and memory OC max did not increase.

5 more degrees C

OC from max of 675 to max of 730 on core, stable.

It's the real deal.

5 more degrees C

OC from max of 675 to max of 730 on core, stable.

It's the real deal.

Are you running stock cooler? What are the temps on load? Curious because that's 30 more than I can do, nothing to scuff at if we have the same set up.

Also, can you guys go to RivaTuner's hardware monitor and see what it claims your shaders are at? it says mine at 1782, I read at XS about this and didn't pay attention.

where is this volt modded bios found or did you tweak your own with nibitor?

also, i assume it would work on any of the reference model 8800gt's right?

730 runs 80C at load (fan 43%) and 54C (fan 29%) idle. That is with the new EVGA BIOS as a basis before mod. They fixed the fan so it spins up at a lower temp.

Shaders 1728. Any faster and they artifact. BTW, the next point is 1782, anything else set in between using Riva Tuner goes to one of those.

I did the mod this way...mod

No volt mods, just good old Rivatuner and ATITool, then running some Crysis for a few hours.

Reached 730/1840/1100 stable on a stock eVGA 8800GT.
Clocked down to 700/1800/1000 just to be on the safe side.

... don't know this for certain, but I'm thinking this is pure placebo effect.

The G80s had the option to change voltage in BIOS but the setting did nothing at all. I seriously doubt that's changed with the 92s.

It actually DOES work... trust me I had to eat a bucket of crow over it in another thread a week ago. :p

You can't get anything more than that .05v extra without a hardware modification though.

Amazingly that .05v helps quite a bit, but you REALLY have to make sure you've got adequate cooling. Hell with the original cooler the GT seems to always teeter on the edge of a meltdown anyway. :D

Oh and on the subject of Nibitor and mvktech? A little birdie told me that we might see the ability to alter the fan profiles in the G92 BIOS very soon.... ;)

Are you sure you even needed to volt mod? did you try reaching those clocks without it? Its just thats a pretty low max OC result for a GT.

Before the volt mod, my shader didn't like to go above 1680.

My memory speed has always sucked.

Yea, i got really bad 8800GT unfortunately :(

Perhaps I should stepup to the new G92 8800GTS

I find that I have to crank my fan up to 80% in order to keep temps under control. Even then it climbs above 80C sometimes.

I think my heatsink is not making good contact with the GPU and memory.

Why is it so impossible to make a bootable USB key, and WHY does it still require you to have a floppy just to get the files?!?!

Thanks for the links. :)

I guess I have a ok card to OC.

Right now, I can oc my card to 745/1800/1000. ANYTHING higher than 745 core, I run into trouble with the card.

eVGA 8800GT reference (no factory OC) card.

Why is it so impossible to make a bootable USB key, and WHY does it still require you to have a floppy just to get the files?!?!

It is possible, that's how I did it. A little bit of google..

This will get you started (links to USB bootable files): HERE

You don't need to boot blind, just use the boot media creation info and replace the floppy part per this quick guide HERE

i found no difference when overclock the core 50MHz.. crysis and HL2:E2 run the same speeds..

I have a bootable DOS CD disk. Works great :)

I do not even own a floppy drive - i can remember the HUGE 8 inch floppies of the past. Damn I'm old :)

This will get you started (links to USB bootable files): HERE

You don't need to boot blind, just use the boot media creation info and replace the floppy part per this quick guide HERE

Yhere's also a how-to on setting up a USB boot flash drive right here on these forums, a simple search will bring it up. Last I checked it was in the motherboard section.

I can overclock mine to 700mhz core and 1000mhz memory without any voltmodding... 725mhz core was stable but it got a little warm for my taste.

I can overclock mine to 700mhz core and 1000mhz memory without any voltmodding... 725mhz core was stable but it got a little warm for my taste.

That's nice - i cant do that.

I would need cryogenic submersion to reach 725 mhz on my stupid 8800GT..

Don't feel like quoting all the guys responding to my USB key flash drive boot mini-rant, but I ended up just saying f**k it and plugged in a floppy I found in the computer I found of my parents that I just replaced about 8 months back, somehow it was still in the storage room, they never get rid of anything, although I did use the processor from that machine to build the rest of a Shuttle XPC for my friend with no money and a sad WoW addiction on a POS laptop. So umm, yeah the floppy at least worked. I've decided to just keep it hidden away in the drawer next to my computer to whip out if I ever need it again...

Umm, runnning strong at 1.1v VCore at 700/1000 (loosened timings to match the spec, my memory would overclock worth a damn before), and my max core before was 674mhz, so I'm pretty happy with this and may or may not try to push it further before I go with watercooling for my CPU and GPU.

I volt modded my evga 8800GT SC using a modded BIOS.

I have final OC results in.

The default for an evga 8800GT SC is 650/1625/950 (Core/Shader/Mem).

My final maximum OC results are 700/1750/960.

I use ATITool artifact test in order to test for stability. My threshold for stability is a minimum of 3 hours of error free artifact testing.

The biggest improvement I see in the voltmod was the shader speed - prior to the voltmod, I could only do 1680 tops.

I didn't get a really great overclocking 8800GT to begin with so at least it's a little faster.

Yes, I know there are people with plain vanilla 8800GTs who can overclock more than me w/o a voltmod, but I'm still glad for whatever little speed I can squeeze out of it.

Now I still have the option of stepping up to an evga 8800GTS 512 which I'm considering since my 8800GT is a relatively poor overclocker.

do you have any crysis benchmarks??? before and after OC..

cause i got it to 725/955 without any vmods.. Unless i'm CPU limited, going to 725/955 from 625/900 only gave me 3% performance.. (27 vs 28 FPS in crysis @ 1440x900, all HIGH, 4xAA)

cause i got it to 725/955 without any vmods.. Unless i'm CPU limited, going to 725/955 from 625/900 only gave me 3% performance.. (27 vs 28 FPS in crysis @ 1440x900, all HIGH, 4xAA)

P4, I'd say that's quite a bottleneck. It also seems as if some cards come with 1.1V already perhaps, or just good overclockers to begin with, but before my voltmod, I couldn't go past 690 core, 1725 shaders, now I can also do 725 and 1760 shader

I haven't done any game benching yet.

I have a bootable DOS CD disk. Works great :)
I made a bootable DOS CD disk using FLASHCD. On the same CD, I burned my edited bios,
nvflash.exe, and cwsdpmi.exe. The CD boots up fine, and tells me that my bios utilities are on R: .

I've tried everything I can think of to start the flash. How do I get to the R: ? I thought all I did was type R: . When I try just "nvflash voltmod.rom" at the a:\>, I also get denied. :confused:

What am I missing? LordBritish, how did you make your bootable DOS CD? Can you elaborate on the steps you took?

Here is what Staypuft said from here: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1249339&page=2

Here's what I did, took 10 minutes:

1) Created a bootable floppy using this, just run in windows with floppy in drive: Bootable Floppy Maker or the main site bootdisk.com

2) Download and run this, .nvFlash 5.57 from here mvtech page for nvFlash 5.57, it unzips to two files. Run the nvFlash.v5.57.exe file and it unzips again. Drag files (cwsdpmi.exe, nvflash.exe) from the last unzip directory onto floppy

3) Reboot PC with floppy in drive, set floppy as first boot device in BIOS. The A:\ prompt shows up.
You will type: "nvflash --save orig.rom" (that's a double dash, and the file name orig.rom is your original video bios being saved)

4) Eject the floppy and reboot into windows. Re-insert floppy and copy orig.rom to somewhere you can find it later.

5) Download and install NiBiTor 3.6 from here mvtech NiBiTor 3.6 page

6) Run NiBiTor, got to menu File>Open BIOS and select your orig.rom. Navigate to the 'Voltages' tab, then 'Exact Mode' tab. In the drop-down for 'Extra' select 1.1V.

7) Got to menu File>Save BIOS and create a new name like voltmod.rom. Exit NiBiTor and copy your voltmod.rom to the floppy.

8) Reboot PC with floppy inserted and you're back to A:\. Type "nvflash voltmod.rom" . It will ask you if you're sure, so make up your mind and type Y if you are sure. When it's done eject the floppy and reboot.

9) Retry overclocking beyond your previous limit.

My advice is to read the other links provided by sam0t and then use this chimp list as a reference for our particular voltmod. You can also edit the Clockrates tab to put your safe overclock permanently into the BIOS so rivatuner isn't always running. Up to you. Good Luck.

My 3dmark06 results from the voltmod, posted them in the link above too:

clipboard01no3.jpg

21387945rx8.jpg

Back