Miffed at "nVidia" for including such crappy fans on 8800GT

amd7674

[H]ard|Gawd
Did any of the companies tested them? Why did they include such small/crappy/noisy fans , and now newer revisions are coming with a better/bigger fans.. Why they didn't use 2 slot solution? :mad:, and now they ship 8800GTS with 2 slot fan solution :mad: Instead of paying $290 for my xfx and buying $30 aftermarket HSF, I would prefer to get for $330 8800GTS (better card) with a better cooling solution.....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Why most of us has to pay for their luck of testing? I feel like RMAing my card, so I can get newer revision....TOTAL BS.... sorry for being a little pissed and grumpy !!!!!!!!!!!!

That's what non-reference designs are for. ;) Try this one at NCIX for instance. If you want eVGA's/BFG's/XFX's warranty though, yeah, stick with a G92 8800 GTS.

I can't hear my 8800GT's cooler over my system fans even at 65% and it cools fine. Sorry you're having so much trouble.

Always entertaining to see people bitch about features AFTER buying the product.

And if the fan is especially loud, then RMA it.

mines not that bad (70*c after an hour of crysis) i think i might of gotten the newer cooler though.. Its hardly audible even if I put the fan at 100% (i just upgraded from my old system that had a 6000rpm 60mm fan though)

mines not that bad (70*c after an hour of crysis) i think i might of gotten the newer cooler though.. Its hardly audible even if I put the fan at 100% (i just upgraded from my old system that had a 6000rpm 60mm fan though)

You *think* you might HAVE received one with the newer cooler? Check the pics. posted in the other 8800GT thread about the new cooler. There are some pictures posted of the new cooler next to the old one.

stock cooler is fine if you have a correctly ventilated case, in sli with fans at 60% I hardly go over 65c most I have seen is 70c

Always entertaining to see people bitch about features AFTER buying the product.

Its not as easy as you make it seem. With the next card they put out, a month later. There is a much better, quieter/cooler setup on the new card. While they did indeed get what they were advertised, I can see why someone would be a little upset.

But this happens all the time with hardware, or most anything. Bought a Nintendo DS... a month later, a much smaller and better model comes out, for the same price. Was I annoyed? Yeah, but I did get what I paid for. Buying something as soon as it comes out, isnt the best thing to do all the time. Lots of times, there are updates or changes to the hardware, making it better, and often times cheaper.

I think the issue depends on use and tastes. If you type in to Google "8800GT fan problem" or "8800GT heat problems" you'll get a lot of stuff. A lot of people have been posting about issues with heat, noise and lock-ups and in their posts they are linking other threads/articles about heat. noise and lock-ups.

None of this means it's a bad care per se but people should take a few things into consideration so they don't mess up their unit. On first cards factory fan RPMs were set at 30% of maximum and this didn't increase until temps of >90 degrees Celsius are reached:

http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1189&pageID=4121

People might want to make their own adjustments depening on how they use card etc .

The Enquirer wrote about this back on Oct 4 2007:

"G92 has heat problems"

"IT SOUNDS LIKE Nvidia's G92, the next-gen high-end part, is having heat problems. Several people told us that a few weeks ago, they got an urgent letter from NV to send them computers that the new G92 would go in for 'thermal analysis'. Hmmm, makes you wonder, doesn't it?"

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/10/04/g92-heat-problems

Reviewers since have taken note and this reviewer who loved card had some balance:

"Now I must rain on this parade just a bit. In doing research for this review I digested everything both good and bad regarding the NVIDIA 8800 GT (G92). One of the major issues many of the users seem to have with this product is its temperatures in the enclosures they are using. It seems that NVIDIA has determined that the standard RPM level for the fan on this 8800 GT's cooler should be 30% of maximum. Why you might ask? In a word noise, the fan is loud at anything above 80% and very loud at 100%. You might be asking yourself isn't this fan's RPMs temperature adjustable? You'd be right but NVIDIA chose to set the maximum temperature before the fan ramps up at between 90 and 100 degrees Celsius. As this was at best hearsay, I confirmed this using Riva Tuner v. 2.06.

Now again in fairness to NVIDIA, I never saw the temperatures go above 65 degrees Celsius even when overclocking and I stressed the hell out of this card. I'm also using a very well ventilated case with a 200mm fan blowing directly on the video card. I'm trying to be as objective as possible here and I'm sure NVIDIA would not set limitations that are unachievable with the card! That would be very costly if they all of a sudden had to replace a huge number of cards due to this issue. IMHO we've just got to realize that these cards are going to run very hot when stressed and do our best to provide them with the best cooling possible."

http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1189&pageID=4121

I don't think NV did anything on purpose and I don't think the cards are massively defective but if you stress the bugger you might want to be aware of the issue and do the little fixes. A buyer looking for 8800GT should avoid the "older" cards if they mind heat/noise - simple as.

It always sucks when they use small cheap fans.

There are prob. hundreds of dif. motherboard models that use shitty cheap fans that die in less than two years. I hate them all.

But, what would be the point of me finding the model number of each one that I don't own and bitching about it somewhere if I hadn't bought one?!?

I got an 8800GT, the fan is noisy and I don't like it.

First of all thank all of you for your feedback :D Second of all I'm a nvidia man, I've used x850xt-pe for a little while, but it has been nvidia all the time....

I'm just a little bitter at the fact that after a week (not even) I bought my xfx 8800GT (with a smaller fan), there is already an improved version with a bigger fan. Let me tell you as many of you know buying 8800GT was a nightmare, no ETA, sky rocking prices....etc....blah, blah.. so after calling several stores I've got one...

My only beef is I don't understand, why NV didn't realize the fan they've included was too small prior releasing the product on the market? Few weeks after release boom we have a new version with improved fan?, and now all because I've raised my voice some of you callm a whiner and complainer :rolleyes:

Yes I'll shut up now, and yes I know if I don't like it I can buy aftermarket hsf, but I've already went over my budget with my new rig and I don't have any more money to throw around. I rather add the 'aftermarket' hsf money to buy something for kids for xmas. Plus you don't want me to tell you how my better half likes this....:eek:

if anybody from XFX good folks are reading this and if YOU are willing to do an exchange my XFX 8800GT XT for a newer improved version please PM me with instructions on how to do this...

peace out

How exactly do I increase the fan speeds at certain temps? Last time I finally put my system together and ran FEAR for 5min. Right after I looked at rivatuner's temp monitor. It was 88deg. I touched the heatsink and I almost burned myself. It was really really hot. My case was open too and I might keep it that way since that thing really puts in a lot of heat into my case. Can I progressively ramp up the fan speeds according to increasing temps? I've been using ATI since 9800 days so I'm not familiar with nvidia's utilities.

What you should be bitching about is NVidia's not implementing the SPDIF/HDMI audio pass-thru that they designed in to the boards. Most OEM's didn't bother including the parts because NVidia didn't WRITE THE DRIVER yet!!!!!

Nothing like letting ATI be ahead of them in something for no reason.

I would like to use my HDTV with the 8800GT, and that includes digital audio coming over the HDMI cable like it is supposed to. :eek::confused::mad:

How exactly do I increase the fan speeds at certain temps? Last time I finally put my system together and ran FEAR for 5min. Right after I looked at rivatuner's temp monitor. It was 88deg. I touched the heatsink and I almost burned myself. It was really really hot. My case was open too and I might keep it that way since that thing really puts in a lot of heat into my case. Can I progressively ramp up the fan speeds according to increasing temps? I've been using ATI since 9800 days so I'm not familiar with nvidia's utilities.

Try using rivatuner fan profiles.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/article/449/

In many ways I agree with the OP.

My last card a Asus 7950GT with a reference cooler sounded like a hair dryer if the fan speed was increased much past 60%, below that and it crashed under heavy load, was forced to void warrant and replace the stock fan.

The 8800GT I purchased knowing the fan may be outside my personal tolerance, but you just never know to you try it yourself, sure enough had to replace the cooler again.

This problem goes back to around the FX series.I think the review sites need to start bagging Nvidia for crappy coolers, maybe Nvidia need to form an alliance with an aftermarket cooler manufacturer, because clearly they suck at it.

I agree with the OP too. It's a ridiculously loud fan. At least 33dba at the most idle situation possible.

Did any of the companies tested them? Why did they include such small/crappy/noisy fans , and now newer revisions are coming with a better/bigger fans.. Why they didn't use 2 slot solution? :mad:, and now they ship 8800GTS with 2 slot fan solution :mad: Instead of paying $290 for my xfx and buying $30 aftermarket HSF, I would prefer to get for $330 8800GTS (better card) with a better cooling solution.....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Why most of us has to pay for their luck of testing? I feel like RMAing my card, so I can get newer revision....TOTAL BS.... sorry for being a little pissed and grumpy !!!!!!!!!!!!

They didn't use a 2 slot solution because some people like their slots dammit! 1 slot solutions are great. The card cools just fine at stock. If your going to overclock then you should be used to spending more for extra cooling anyways. There isn't anything to complain about here. I keep my card plenty cool with the stock cooler at 50% fan speed and it is only slightly audible over the rest of my very quiet watercooled setup.

They did good by bringing back a single slot, high-performance card. People that like having usable slots and those with SFF systems thank them for it.

Besides, if you're going to spend this much on a card and b*tch about the cooler, then spend a little more for a more quiet and efficient aftermarket cooler. Yes, at this point it would be better to just get a GTS if you want to stick with the stock cooler.

Shame that companies like BFG, eVGA, and XFX aren't coming out with models like Gigabyte's or Galaxy's 8800 GT; they cost around the same amount as standard 8800 GT's, but have much better cooling, perhaps even better than the stock 8800 GTS. If one of those three had, I may well have gone for that; I'm not willing to deal with a company that makes you jump through hoops for service at this point.

I know; that's why I said I wish that BFG, eVGA, or XFX came out with a non-reference 8800 GT. ;) As opposed to Gigabyte, Galaxy, or Palit, the only three I've seen do that so far.

Both of the GT cards I have used are silent. The Zalman 9700 on the CPU is louder.

Gt's shipped with shitty TP application, take off the HS and put on some AS5 or something, shoudl make a diff.

Gt's shipped with shitty TP application, take off the HS and put on some AS5 or something, shoudl make a diff.

Makes a small difference, and increasing fan speed to 45-55% where it stars to become annoying also makes a small difference, but it is still not acceptable imo.

Nvidia two slot fan solutions aren't exactly efficient either as anyone that has touched a GTX/GTS/GTS512 under load will testify,also with temps commonly in the 80'S. This is not a 1 slot vs 2 slot debate, they all suck.

Makes a small difference, and increasing fan speed to 45-55% where it stars to become annoying also makes a small difference, but it is still not acceptable imo.

Nvidia two slot fan solutions aren't exactly efficient either as anyone that has touched a GTX/GTS/GTS512 under load will testify,also with temps commonly in the 80'S. This is not a 1 slot vs 2 slot debate, they all suck.

lol, touching an HSF ain't an exact assessment of its efficiency. Temps are high 'cause the chips are hot but they are designed to work under those conditions. With 8800gt, it's obvious the reference HSF ain't cut out to cool down the chip well enough while you can run any GTS/GTX/Ultra with 2 slot reference cooler day and night and never have a single problem.

lol, touching an HSF ain't an exact assessment of its efficiency. Temps are high 'cause the chips are hot but they are designed to work under those conditions. With 8800gt, it's obvious the reference HSF ain't cut out to cool down the chip well enough while you can run any GTS/GTX/Ultra with 2 slot reference cooler day and night and never have a single problem.

Read my post properly, I never said the reference coolers don'tt do the job, no use lecturing on the thermal tolerance when we all know its well over 100C on the G80 and prob G92. The G80/G92 reference coolers are loud at higher RPM and HOT (GPU temp and to touch), within thermal tolerance sure!!

To dumb this down for you. Many after market coolers do a spectacularly better job than the Nvidia reference coolers, you would think Nvidia could release reference cards with better designed coolers that doesn't cost a ton of extra $$.

I am also wondering if the Nvidia engineers had thought to check the card temps after deciding on a fan design. I am happy Nvidia decided to change the referance fan to a larger one, but the people who bought the older ones seem to have to suffer. Nvidia should allow an RMA to fix the fan issue to anyone who bought the older type of cooler.

Wow, if you guys think you really could do a better job at designing an effective, low-cost cooling solution then why aren't you working for NVIDIA?

Wow, if you guys think you really could do a better job at designing an effective, low-cost cooling solution then why aren't you working for NVIDIA?

Plenty of people have...they're working for Arctic Cooling, Zalman, and Thermalright though it seems. ;) Lest you take issue with them not being low-cost, remember that the Palit, Galaxy, and Gigabyte boards with those coolers as default don't cost any more than stock 8800 GT's, and in many cases less.

Read my post properly, I never said the reference coolers don'tt do the job, no use lecturing on the thermal tolerance when we all know its well over 100C on the G80 and prob G92. The G80/G92 reference coolers are loud at higher RPM and HOT (GPU temp and to touch), within thermal tolerance sure!!

To dumb this down for you. Many after market coolers do a spectacularly better job than the Nvidia reference coolers, you would think Nvidia could release reference cards with better designed coolers that doesn't cost a ton of extra $$.

Uhm, read my post properly, too. All I was saying, the GTS/GTX/Ultra HSFs are designed to do their job, period. The HSF efficiency is a not a goal for Nvidia, don't like it, get an aftermarket solution. Now, the original GT HSF is a different story.

First, you simply have to add the plug-in to see those options. Pretty straightforward. Just check the options in the monitoring utility.

Finally. I feel like a tard. Running back and forth from my internet PC to my gaming PC. Half way there I forget what I read. Now I'm ready to do some overclock testing.

Back