GTX G92

February Video Card

• Total voters

junglicious

Limp Gawd
By looking at Nvidia latest release trend with the 8800 series, its more then likely that we'll see the 8800GTX G92 for February? So far they have updated the GT and GTS to G92 so it would be a good guess to say they will do the same for the GTX. Given that the GT and GTS G92 card has about a month and a half between them. The GTX would be due in February next. I'm not saying I don't want to see them release the 9 series but as of right now it seem less of a chance. Anyone has any sources or update on what will be or if there even will be a February card?

Dare I even say the 9 series will be release during summer...

By February, I don't think we'll be seeing any of those. Perhaps during February or after, but before I'm starting to doubt. Nvidia is still winning the power struggle with ATi because of the 8800gt and such, plus they seem to be converting the 640mb to a g92 chipset too (from what I've heard anyway). Seems to me they'll still be taking their sweet time with the new 9 series. Seems unlikely to me that they'll be making a g92 8800gtx too. But, that's just one opinion. :(

A G92 GX2 to answer ATi's R680 and a D9E to replace the GTX/Ultra not based on the current G92. :p

February is awfully close to the release of the new GT and GTS, which are proving to both be extremely popular and I assume profitable for Nvidia. I can see a new top-of-class product being introduced around late February with new mainstream/performance class entering the market in late spring, early summer. However without direct performance/price competition from brother ATI I don't see the new 9000 series being as cost effective as the new GT.

I really THINK that the GT is so cheap because Nvidia was leaked info about ATI's plans to release the 3800's. That may be why Nvidia hurried to release a product that potentially harmed sales of their GTX, and would make the industry shit a brick at the price/performance.
ATI had nothing to lose. They had nothing faster than the 2900XT and it just wasnt selling at its price. In an effort to sell the technology they had to make it cheap and use less power. If ATI would have released the 3870 before Nvidia's GT I think we would have seen more reviewers praise ATI for the price move.

Reagrdless we get some awesome GPUs for some awesome prices.

Edit: Does anyone see any momentum other than Crysis to sell a new hgih end GPU? Other than bragging rights? Discuss

G92 GTX, IF D9P wasn't going to be a 9 series card, I don't think nvidia has plans on making D9E a 9 series. This card should be the next 8800GTX/ ultra . BTW the title is incorrect. I believe D9E was formally known as G96, or G98, one of them is a value chip the other is D9E.

Sadly with ATI not being as competitive as they need to be, NVIDIA could easily refresh the 8800Ultra and delay the introduction of a proper 9 series.

Sadly with ATI not being as competitive as they need to be, NVIDIA could easily refresh the 8800Ultra and delay the introduction of a proper 9 series.

I hope not, they need to launch their new series by February, as I'm gonna use my wife's new 8800gt to stepup and then hand down my gtx, hehe.

I hope not, they need to launch their new series by February, as I'm gonna use my wife's new 8800gt to stepup and then hand down my gtx, hehe.

I'd like to see new cards too, but I'm thinking we will only be looking at a refresh of the 8800Ultra at the most.

February is awfully close to the release of the new GT and GTS, which are proving to both be extremely popular and I assume profitable for Nvidia. I can see a new top-of-class product being introduced around late February with new mainstream/performance class entering the market in late spring, early summer. However without direct performance/price competition from brother ATI I don't see the new 9000 series being as cost effective as the new GT.

I really THINK that the GT is so cheap because Nvidia was leaked info about ATI's plans to release the 3800's. That may be why Nvidia hurried to release a product that potentially harmed sales of their GTX, and would make the industry shit a brick at the price/performance.
ATI had nothing to lose. They had nothing faster than the 2900XT and it just wasnt selling at its price. In an effort to sell the technology they had to make it cheap and use less power. If ATI would have released the 3870 before Nvidia's GT I think we would have seen more reviewers praise ATI for the price move.

Reagrdless we get some awesome GPUs for some awesome prices.

Edit: Does anyone see any momentum other than Crysis to sell a new hgih end GPU? Other than bragging rights? Discuss

I know it is really close to the GT and GTS release date. I was basing my assumption because the GT and GTS were both release in a close time frame.

G92 GTX, IF D9P wasn't going to be a 9 series card, I don't think nvidia has plans on making D9E a 9 series. This card should be the next 8800GTX/ ultra . BTW the title is incorrect. I believe D9E was formally known as G96, or G98, one of them is a value chip the other is D9E.

If this is true thanks for bringing it up since I am not fully up to date on the latest code name.

I agree. In this case we would want to see ATI release a GTX "killer". Only then will Nvidia be more motivated to release a new generation card to keep up with the competition. It all comes down to ATI and Nvidia competition.

I'm planing on getting an 8800 series in Jan 08 so that would give me till Mar to do a setup. Hopefully Nvidia does release a new card by then.

I am not sure if this is the trend. I thought with every next generation game release like Crysis, COD4, UT3 there would be a next generation card to keep with the game at the highest possible setting.

"9 Series" is just a name. The G92 GTS and GT could have easily been called 9800GTS and 9800GT.

ATI are probably releasing a single PCB GX2 type card.

In Feb we may well see card labeled 9 series, but its very possible it may be a G92 GX2 card to match ATI and or a single G92 card with a increased memory bus.

What I am saying is, don't assume the new 9 series card will see a huge jump in performance like previous generations.

Very good point, Battleneter2. I find it very strange that, on one hand, AMD kept the same series codename for its die-shrink (R600 -> R670) but bumped the marketing label (2xxx -> 3xxx), while NVIDIA bumped the codename series (G80 -> G92), but not only kept the same marketing name series, but kept the same exact name (8800)! :eek: Both for basically the same thing: a same generation die-shrink.

idk bout this, considering the 3 way sli that came out. I really wish they would focus all the attention on a new card.

Anand dropped a huge hint the other day,that anyone buying a GTS 512 or a GT would regret it in about ~2.5 months... Google is your friend. :)

I already bought a XfX GTS 512 and have it oc'd to the tits,but will just drop it into my wifes system,and buy anew, when this card hits,that he was talking about.

So what people here are saying is, not only is nvidia going to release D9E, its going to be a gx2 card, then their saying you can put three of them together. You know the kind of thermal problems nvidia would run into making a solution like that. Not to mention the last time they made a GX2 card their was no way nvidia made money on it. Not to mention nvidia STILL has the top part new single or dual card or not.

Long shot isn't quite the word to use for a GX2 card, absurd is. Mark my words, nvidia has no need, and better yet, no desire to make an GX2 card this year, not with how already their going to cruse thru 2008.

After all of that, IF they did release one, people would still bitch about it, and talk about the thermals and power usage of the card like their the devil, so don't say you want the card then bitch about power usage.

Id like to see them release a G92 with 1GB on the wider GTX/Ultra memory bus and the dual SLI connections...because the GTS/G92 is being hurt by the lack of memory speed (hence why its slower than a GTX) and running 3 of those together would, well, CRUSH anything on the market for the next year.

I think we can all rest assured in knowing the cards we have now are good enough for the games we have, and the cards of tomarow are going to keep up with the games of tomarow. Getting all worked up about what might be ahead of the horizon, comparing what you have to what MIGHT come next can make one appreciate less for what is here today.

So all the people who baught a 8800 g92 or 3XXX card, be happy, enjoy it and wait patiently for the next big releases, your needs are taken care of until the next big thing. Have fun! Thats what these are made for after all:D:D

it doesn't really concern me, since i just bought a g92 8800gts and don't think any games (besides crysis, which isn't a fair judge anyway) will really force me to upgrade any time soon. and if new cards DO come out in feb, i'll have my step-up program to snag those. Either way, I'm totally stoked on my new card. I completely agree about just having fun.

my money is on a refresh as there really isnt much competition, in fact next year unless amd gets out some competitive products, we will see a slow movement once again to new products.

The thing that people seem to not be noticing, imo, is that nVidia is not competing only with ATi. They are also competing with their own previous offerings.

I find nVidia holding back products (by more than a few months, at leasT) quite unlikely because even if ATi never comes out with another graphics card, this would only result in nVidia saturating the market.

If nVidia wants to sell me another card, regardless of what ATi does, they will have to come out with something better. Surely nVidia would prefer to sell me three, four or five cards rather than simply maintain dominance with a single card that will last me twenty years after the initial purchase?

I think we can all rest assured in knowing the cards we have now are good enough for the games we have, and the cards of tomarow are going to keep up with the games of tomarow. Getting all worked up about what might be ahead of the horizon, comparing what you have to what MIGHT come next can make one appreciate less for what is here today.

So all the people who baught a 8800 g92 or 3XXX card, be happy, enjoy it and wait patiently for the next big releases, your needs are taken care of until the next big thing. Have fun! Thats what these are made for after all:D:D

I will agree that you should be happy with what you have now and enjoy it for what it is. This thread was not might as a downer for people who have already purchase the GT/GTS G92, but for people who are looking to upgrade soon. That or just want to be inform on what will most likely be happening in the future. I have a new tower build coming up and wanted to plan my purchase the best I can. The build will be in Jan.

The thing that people seem to not be noticing, imo, is that nVidia is not competing only with ATi. They are also competing with their own previous offerings.

I find nVidia holding back products (by more than a few months, at leasT) quite unlikely because even if ATi never comes out with another graphics card, this would only result in nVidia saturating the market.

If nVidia wants to sell me another card, regardless of what ATi does, they will have to come out with something better. Surely nVidia would prefer to sell me three, four or five cards rather than simply maintain dominance with a single card that will last me twenty years after the initial purchase?

You do have a good point. Is that very good business ethic? Maybe to them, but not the consumers. So would it be safe to say they will do an update version of the GTX for February and release a new generation card during summer of 08? You have to also take consideration that if ATI does pick up the ball and release a card that will surpass the GTX, Nvidia will most likely counter that with a better card.

I find it amazing how information does not leak sooner when it comes to Nvidia. With the bike industry you'll have leak specs and pictures months before the official publishers can even release it.

At this rate, Nvidia can really do whatever the hell they want. I'm perfectly content with my 8800GTS 640, and well, if something better comes out then we'll all have something to look forward to. However, i don't think they are going to release something that will crush this generation, there's simply no need, not with ATi stumbling like this.

So this is where the rumors of the GX2 8-series are coming from. Rumors being changed into near confirmations which are turning into "this is whats coming out in a few months". Now there are going to be people all over the internets getting bad information based on speculation being misinterpreted as fact or likelihood. The only people that have any idea are probably under an NDA so whatever you read here is not even an informed opinion, much less an educated guess.

So this is where the rumors of the GX2 8-series are coming from. Rumors being changed into near confirmations which are turning into "this is whats coming out in a few months". Now there are going to be people all over the internets getting bad information based on speculation being misinterpreted as fact or likelihood. The only people that have any idea are probably under an NDA so whatever you read here is not even an informed opinion, much less an educated guess.

How do you know the rumor are generated from this thread or this thread alone for that matter? Where in this thread that stats that what ever will happen in 08, February to be precise will be a fact? The rumors have been going on long before this thread even started. No need to get your panties all in a bunch or worked up for that matter. The internet is a big place and I'm pretty sure there are more rumor generating threads than this one even though we are only giving our opinion. My "EDUCATED" guess is that we will more then likely see a updated version of the GTX in February. It is because they have already updated the GT and GTS. Based on the release time frame of those two cards it would be a good guess to say the GTX is next as well. Now I have not and I do not think anyone in this thread has stated their opinion to be a fact.

BTW, I'm sure a lot of us have been asking and thinking the same question for Nvidia next release. This would be a good place and time to share your thoughts on the subject.

I have heard a lot of rumor that Nvidia's 9 series will be released sometime in February. I just can't wait!

How do you know the rumor are generated from this thread or this thread alone for that matter? Where in this thread that stats that what ever will happen in 08, February to be precise will be a fact? The rumors have been going on long before this thread even started. No need to get your panties all in a bunch or worked up for that matter. The internet is a big place and I'm pretty sure there are more rumor generating threads than this one even though we are only giving our opinion. My "EDUCATED" guess is that we will more then likely see a updated version of the GTX in February. It is because they have already updated the GT and GTS. Based on the release time frame of those two cards it would be a good guess to say the GTX is next as well. Now I have not and I do not think anyone in this thread has stated their opinion to be a fact.

BTW, I'm sure a lot of us have been asking and thinking the same question for Nvidia next release. This would be a good place and time to share your thoughts on the subject.

Here:

So would it be safe to say they will do an update version of the GTX for February and release a new generation card during summer of 08?

It would be safe to say that no one who can talk about it has any idea. In order to have an educated guess you have to have something to base your guess on. The release of previous cards forecasts nothing. In fact the only released news on non-rumor sites says Nvidia reps have confirmed D9E in February. I won't even trust that until it comes from the Horse's mouth. There is no "safe to say" or "educated guess" when there is nothing to base those assertions on.

PS: I am perfectly calm, almost half asleep. :p

nvidia "D8E" High End solution, what can we expect in 2008?

Yes [H] unlike any other forum has a monopoly on speculation.

well thats not right at all. you are confusing D9 with D8. D8 is referring to G92 and D9 will be the next architecture of cards aka likely the 9000 series. D9E will be the high end of the 9000(or whatever they decide to call the next gen). D9E was never the G96 or G98 as they are low end cards and D9E means enthusiast(high end). Also the G96 or G98 are D8 series anyway not D9.

NVIDIA's newest roadmap claims the DirectX 10.1 family of 65nm processors will also hit store shelves this Spring. The chipsets -- codenamed D9E, D9M and D9P -- are architecturally different from the G80/G92 family.

http://www.dailytech.com/AMD+Announces+R680+RV620+RV635+Graphics+Cores/article10033.htm

Here:

It would be safe to say that no one who can talk about it has any idea. In order to have an educated guess you have to have something to base your guess on. The release of previous cards forecasts nothing. In fact the only released news on non-rumor sites says Nvidia reps have confirmed D9E in February. I won't even trust that until it comes from the Horse's mouth. There is no "safe to say" or "educated guess" when there is nothing to base those assertions on.

PS: I am perfectly calm, almost half asleep. :p

Maybe your are reading it wrong. That was a question. I do not see how that question was stating a fact. Last time I checked question were not fact. The release of the previous cards does indeed forecasts something, its called HISTORY; History does repeat itself. Also you mention you read it on "non-rumor" sites. Now what qualifies as a "non-rumor" site besides the official website itself. Since you did read it on "non-rumor" sites does that not allow you to make an educated guess? I do not even know why you used the word "educated".

It is hard to tell how people's moods are on the threads since you can not see or hear any expression. However I was merely making a joke of it :)

the right question here, what will be after the 9 series? 10? or they’ll come with a new naming thing? :D

my guess is on a G92 GTX with:
720MHz core
2400MHz mem
1GB mem

I don't care if its a dual pcb or single pcb dual card, :p

why don't ATI and NV have a hardware AFR splitter on the cards :O? wouldn't that fix alot of the sli/cf scaling issues?

Back