whats the cons of getting mini/mid tower case?

firas

2[H]4U
ok so this topic is based on this one
I’m trying to find out if a small tower case can handle this rig:
Q6600
ASUS P5E3 775 X38 ATX
Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme (+2Fans)
GeForce 8800GT (would be better if it can handle some additional cooling solution for this)
Some 650-850 PSU

I found this:
Full-Tower Dimensions Approx. (WxDxH): 220 x 560 x 530mm, 8.66" x 22.04" x 20.86"
Mid-Tower Dimensions Approx. (WxDxH): 185 x 410 x 420mm, 7.28" x 16.22" x 16.54"

So I’m supposing any width close to 220 will do the Heatsink part
The height wouldn’t be really important cuz it’ll only mean that I’m losing the extra drive bays/PCI slots/HD trays
I don’t really know about the depth part but I guess if it can handle the MOBO then I’m fine
I think the VGA cooling could be a problem here

this is the case in the topic I mentioned
Lian Li A05B : 210x381x490mm(W,H,D)

Lian Li PC-B25B
210 x 450 x 515mm (W.H.D)

Lian Li PC-7S
210 x 450 x 490mm (W,H,D)

Cooler Master CM 690213(w) x 482(h) x 524.5(d) mm

SilverStone TJ-10644(d) x 207(w) x 521(h) mm

SilverStone SG-03can’t find the dim :confused:

Lian-Li PC-A12490(d) x 210(w) x 450(h) mm

what do you think the cons of getting a small/mid tower case?

I don’t think I’ll need more than 2 drive bays, I don’t need a floppy drive, I don’t think I’ll be using more than 3 hard disks (even if I did I can stick the third somewhere like I always do), I don’t think case cooling will be a problem since even the small cases have good 120mm fans (maybe the smaller size could be an advantage here since the air flow area is smaller)

maybe the fitting part is the only problem here, and not being able to put the coffee cup on it :D

opinions?

heatsinks, video cards and power supplies are all bigger, ALOT bigger than days of the old mini atx or mid tower,

I highly recommend you go with a full tower, better ventilation and better upgradeability, make sure you get a case that is capable of housing an eps power supply.

as a general rule a case needs to be nine inches at least if your going to get a high end graphics card to fit in it and always check em out before buying as some cases dont make the best use of their interior space, mid towers are not capable of handling eps power supplies, often dont offer good fan options and can also come up short where newer video cards are concerened.

the coolermaster stacker series of cases work great, especially the stacker 830 and 810 models.

A05 is the same as a regular tower case, just shorter. Its minimalist, but people have fit dual 240mm rads + 8800 GTX water cooling setups...

I plan on building a Q6600 w/ Tuniq and 9800 GTX (when it comes out) with 3 HDD's, 2 DVD burners...

You honestly don't need anything bigger... sure you can go bigger... fit more stuff... but do you need it? Nah.

A05 is as small as I'd go, it allows a large PSU (8.5" longish) full size graphics cards ( SLI/Crossfire) Any large heatsink (tuniq tower, thermalright 120 (If the motherboard socket isn't too close to the bottom of the case, ofcourse this would be an issue in normal towers as well))
A05 is the same length and width as the PC6 series, it's just shorter... they sacraficed bays to move the PSU to the front and drop the height down.

You'd only need a good 600 watt for that system

Looking at your mobo it should fit the Ultra120 just fine... check the A05 thread for pictures...

http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/6965/dsc02933qn9.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t251/lanpirate1/IMG_0108.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/shazzasmd/A05withV1.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b209/dannyd86/LianiLiWindow001.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g160/stormshadow3500/DSCN8419.jpg

well…… though I’m a n00b when it comes to cases, I don’t think mini/mid tower always mean less ventilation, maybe, in some models, some mini towers could have better ventilation than a good quality full tower…again…maybe
and even if it had lower ventilation than the average in the full towers, case cooling is important but is it that important? especially when a person like me installs a Heatsink like the Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme and some good VGA cooler and planning to replace the stock fans with some super strong fans

my first priority was going for a laptop cuz I I’ll be moving it a lot whenever I go, but since no laptop can offer me what I want (unless I pay like $4000 for some Alienware custom laptop with 8800mGTX)

besides moving a full tower is more difficult, I think I’ll look a little bit weird holding that giant thing everywhere with me :(

as I said I don’t think the average user (like me) will need more than 3 HDD's, I have 3 at the moment (1 is not working), the funny thing I hanged the other 2 on the top of the DVD burner and connected the working HD with the DVD burner IDE cable though I have 4 SATA ports and extra SATA cables (I told you I’m n00b)

1 DVD burner is enough, 2 is more than enough (generally talking of course, I know some have 3 burners and a fan controller and some led display device...etc)

I know 600 is enough and maybe I’ll go for it but I hope I’ll be able to fit some 800/850 PSU just in case I wanted to go for water cooling or wanted to add a fan controller or some lights to the case

BUT I just notice that everyone is picking the full tower and wondering if I’m missing something here!

Thnx a lot Blazestorm you sir made my day, I’ll add to what you said that the mini tower looks more elegant (at least for me) and if it had a window at the side panel it’ll be pure sexiness

Thnx for the help conghelach, I hope u’ll have something to add here cuz I noticed from u’r other posts that you own a computer store or something (and I noticed that you love coolermaster :D )

You gotta realize that a Q6600 + 8800 GT is only going to pull 350-400 watts on load. 600 watts is literally all you need for an A05 setup...

There were tests with SLI 8800 GTX and Qx6800 and it was pullin 530 watts on load. They hit 860 watts when they were running SLI GTX Ultras with Dual FX72's

http://www.jonnyguru.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3137

You could add water-cooling and still be good :D

You gotta realize that a Q6600 + 8800 GT is only going to pull 350-400 watts on load. 600 watts is literally all you need for an A05 setup...

There were tests with SLI 8800 GTX and Qx6800 and it was pullin 530 watts on load. They hit 860 watts when they were running SLI GTX Ultras with Dual FX72's

http://www.jonnyguru.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3137

You could add water-cooling and still be good :D

I’m convinced, n00b Q: if I changed my mind in the future and wanted to replace the A05 with full tower… will the 600W stay enough? I’m not rich but I just like to get enough+1 :)

Just depends on what you put in the computer, not the size of the case :)

I've seen people who buy full towers with 7 DVD drive bays, 12 harddrive bays... then put 2 harddrives in it, and 2 DVD burners... Core-2-duo and a 8800 GTS... it's like... :confused:

Heh.

I am thinking about an understocked A70 or A71. I have to ask how much space does a little PC case REALLY save. I keep my case on the desk or on the table for dust reasons (I have a cat). So that space saved really is mostly vertical space and doesn't make that much difference.

A smaller case like the A05 LOOKS really cool. But it will have less cooling and be a real "BITCH" to put together compared to case with removable motherboard tray that's really big. Also the wiring is WAY easier in a big case.

Truthfully I wouldn't mind a LARGE midtower but they don't see much smaller and their cooling set up seems to suck. Compare the whacky cooling of an A10 with an A71.
Pete

I love my A70, It has plenty of space and the cooling is great.

I like the A71 also, But I personally dont like doors, But thats not a con, Just personal opinion.

Yeah it is true that in some mid tower cases, Wiring can be a pain.

Just depends on what you put in the computer, not the size of the case :)

I've seen people who buy full towers with 7 DVD drive bays, 12 harddrive bays... then put 2 harddrives in it, and 2 DVD burners... Core-2-duo and a 8800 GTS... it's like... :confused:

Yeah, Thats true, But the thing is the space is 'there' if and when its needed.

Dang that A05 looks nice. Seems like my HDDs would be a bit warm though...not a lot of airflow in that area of it for lots of HDDs.

I really like the PC60 Plus II I have as well. Not HUGE, but still roomy with plenty of space and VERY good cooling (keeps my e6600 @ 23C idle)

Dang that A05 looks nice. Seems like my HDDs would be a bit warm though...not a lot of airflow in that area of it for lots of HDDs.

I really like the PC60 Plus II I have as well. Not HUGE, but still roomy with plenty of space and VERY good cooling (keeps my e6600 @ 23C idle)

There's a 120mm fan sucking hot air out the front.

A05 is a minimalist case, I'd rather have "just enough" than "5x too much"

It's personal preference...

Haha, that's me. :eek: I only bought a large case because I know I'm going to add more hard drives, and SLI'ed 8900GTX's.

If you're planning ahead then it works :) I plan to keep the same case for a while, I've always gotten new cheap $40 cases each build until I realized that every case I'd bought was a POS, this time around I plan on getting a nice Lian-Li and keep it through a few builds until standards or my requirements change.

But cases like that are basically server cases... E-ATX boards and ridiculous amounts of bays :D

The problem with going smaller is the lack of room, and the increase of heat. I had gone to a smaller case (2 dvd spaces) but I quickly found out I had a warmer inner cavity and I definately had an issue with what to do with all that extra wiring from the power supply. I went back to what I call the "standard" mid case(4 dvd spaces), with floppy with much relief!

Poor ventilation, some components may not fit, lack of bays (which shouldn't matter for you), some don't support ATX mobos, lots of extra wires with nowhere to put them (go for a modular psu)

Poor ventilation, some components may not fit, lack of bays (which shouldn't matter for you), some don't support ATX mobos, lots of extra wires with nowhere to put them (go for a modular psu)

Only one of those that affects the A05 is the "lack of bays"

Supports ATX, Every heatsink on the market fits, Good ventiliation, and plenty of room to hide wires if you make an attempt to hide them.

the A05 (H:381mm) is fine, but maybe the H:450mm cases would be a better choice
above 450 is not necessary unless you will really need the extra space or inlove with some big case :D

my.php

damn the A05 can fit anything!

http://www.pcdvd.com.tw/showthread.php?t=691148
http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/77909585/m/319001496831
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1133290&page=7

revampsmya4.jpg

100_0235.jpg

Back