Sharing WiFi off my laptop to my desktop?

Hooligan

Gawd
Hey all

So I just recently moved, so I am having a bit of a problem setting up in my new home.

The problem is that I don't have a wireless NIC on my desktop and there is no cable coming into my new room. I can, however, access the network through my laptop's wireless card.

My question is this:

Can I "share" the laptop's network access to my desktop?
ie. Use a network cable that goes from my laptop's NIC to my desktop?

I tried this but obviously, nothing really happened, since I'm not sure how to setup the settings on my computers to enable this (if its even possible). Its hard to google this since I'm not even sure what to call this :(

Any help? I'd <3 u :D

Indeed it can be done.

Make sure the NIC's on the laptop and desktop are both enabled.
stat->settings->control panel->network connections->right click on your wired connection->advanced tab-> check allow other network users to connect through this computers internet connection.

That should do it. May want to make sure both computers are on the same workgroup, and a reboot of one or both machines may be in order, your results may vary.

i tried what you said and it didnt work... i had to enable sharing on the wireless one, not the wired one. who knew? :p

Eh, half way right... ;) It had been awhile since I had done it so I had a 50%-50% of being right, go figure. At least you got it working! :)

Back