BFG Release new 8800GT 512 OC Bios!

johnno

n00b
http://www.bfgtech.com/bfgr88512gtoce.aspx

Click the support tab and there you'll find the a BIOS for the OC boards that adjusts the fan control.

Note that OC2 boards already use a BIOS with a modified fan control.

I have yet to try this, so it would be interesting to see if it works!

ok i flashed it, looks like it tries to keep it <85 rather than <100c now, instead of 42% @92c it now runs 83c@53% fan (full load with atitool)

haven't checked on performance differences yet

edit:

3dmark really didn't change, was 12,238 before (vista32/[email protected]/8800gt 700/1800/1000)

3DMark Score 12264 3DMarks
SM 2.0 Score 5809 Marks
SM 3.0 Score 5595 Marks
CPU Score 2739 Marks

This resulted in a drop from 85 to 72 under load for me, haven't done any rivatuner fan hacks yet.

Max was 91c now 82c. This is a lot better for these cards and I may stop using RivaTuner now.

Sounds like the eVGA one, bios update from 90c to 80c.

Getting there board partners lol!.

So it does the same as using Riva without using Riva? I adjusted the fan speeds in Riva so that i max out at @ 69C under full load. Can't see how this would help?

Out through the window goes Nvidias "its been designed to run @ 100c" terminoly and thank god for that!

Do you guys notice much noise difference between BIOS versions?

edit:

Mean that hopefully the spin up/down threshold has not been set to a temp, in which the cards fan speed goes up and down all the time. I for one am willing to accept bit higher fan speed if it constant. With 1900XTX the fan speed went up and down all the time, and that was annoying enough to drive normal person insane.

FYI- I flashed this on a "newer" heatsink BFG card no problem. My Rivatuner fan-speed automatically increased to 65%, I lowered it back down to 45% for noise sake.

So it does the same as using Riva without using Riva? I adjusted the fan speeds in Riva so that i max out at @ 69C under full load. Can't see how this would help?

Same here. I was just going to increase the fan speeds via rivatuner. If that's all that BIOS does it's not that helpful. I might as well flash it though so maybe I don't have to use rivatuner.

Ditto on that .. please enlighten us . Ive heard "talk" about it , but did not think they were out yet . Pic's man pics ! ;)

The newer 8800GT cards have a fan with larger diameter. The hole for the fan on the heatsink is larger as a result.

The newer 8800GT cards have a fan with larger diameter. The hole for the fan on the heatsink is larger as a result.
yeah but MrSneis was talking about the "new heatsink" on his BFG card. thats funny because BFG is NOT using the new fan yet.

So is everyone happy with their BFG OC card? I happened to score one at BB but I can't decide whether to keep it.

I need a new card so that I can move my current card into a new pc I am building. My options are pick up an EVGA 8800 GT 512 which would last me a good while, pick up an Evga 8800 GT 512 looking to step-up by March or hold onto the BFG while looking to upgrade come August.

So is everyone happy with their BFG OC card? I happened to score one at BB but I can't decide whether to keep it.

I need a new card so that I can move my current card into a new pc I am building. My options are pick up an EVGA 8800 GT 512 which would last me a good while, pick up an Evga 8800 GT 512 looking to step-up by March or hold onto the BFG while looking to upgrade come August.

very satisifed with mine, did 705/1766/2000 out of the box (didn't even try to go higher) and have completed cod4/kane & lynch so far with 0 issues (and tested with atitool also)

yeah but MrSneis was talking about the "new heatsink" on his BFG card. thats funny because BFG is NOT using the new fan yet.

Yeah...it's a new fan, I've owned several GT's and this was the first to have the bigger fan!

I would take pics but alas I'm on vaca until tomorrow out of state.

Where did you buy your card from? I'm debating bringing mine back to Best Buy and hoping to get one with the new fan.

Where did you buy your card from? I'm debating bringing mine back to Best Buy and hoping to get one with the new fan.

BestBuy In-store; I had to call in advance to check their stock (none listed via website) -- they only got 2 in their shipment and one sold immediately, I had them hold the other one for me. Tempe Marketplace in AZ.

good news for me since Rivatuner isn't Vista 64 friendly "officially"

gonna check this out when I get home

I replaced the cooler on mine with a VF900, new ramsinks, nothing on the mosfets yet (ordered the thermalright mosfet kit), and reached 733 core, whatever the shaders were linked to, and 2100 on the ram with ease. I lowered it down to 700/2000 just because I didn't feel like pushing it.

Also, not sure why people were complaining about the ramsinks not sticking, a healthy alcohol scrub and they stuck without issues.

Yeah...it's a new fan, I've owned several GT's and this was the first to have the bigger fan!

I would take pics but alas I'm on vaca until tomorrow out of state.
well I definitely want to see pics . if BFG does have the larger fan now I will exchange mine.

any feedback on the new bios?

not sure I really need to install it but I downloaded it

good news for me since Rivatuner isn't Vista 64 friendly "officially"

gonna check this out when I get home

you can use Gainward Experttool it will control the fan speed. It works well in Vista 64 for me.

i doubt there is a new fan/heatsink. that is why there are no pics. but i hope somebody will prove me wrong. don't worry, bfg offers a lifetime warranty. just don't lose your receipt. i'm sure mine will burn up.....:)

mine rocks, it is AMAZING!!!!!

i doubt there is a new fan/heatsink. that is why there are no pics. but i hope somebody will prove me wrong. don't worry, bfg offers a lifetime warranty. just don't lose your receipt. i'm sure mine will burn up.....:)

mine rocks, it is AMAZING!!!!!

Damnit you win, I just pulled my card and I could have sworn it was the newer fan. I think the blackness of the pcb threw me off :(

Trying the new bios now (but have yet to re-install drivers) ... but so far with the first run of BF2 it seems to have not done doo-doo fan wise . BF2 froze in a few minutes with fan at default (auto) speed . (

Sorry to say , Ive had a ton of more heat problems with the GT vs my past (g80) GTS/640 . Hell I just may sell this sucker if things keep up this way . :(

*edit*

Ive now re-installed the drivers , and will report back if any change or improvement .

*UPDATE*

Well , Ive installed the new bios ...I dont like it and would avoid if possible . Maybe its just my perticular card , but now I cant keep ANY oc'ed settings now , let alone the bios did no help in the fan dept . I now have the fan set at 55% in Riva Tunner and a 80mm door fan blowing directly on the cards intake , and the card still wont run like it should . After 20-30 minutes of a game I usually get kicked back to the desktop even at stock speeds . Riva tunner shows the card is NOT over heating (not even close,well under 70*c in BF2 , 71*c on average for other games) ; even thought the cards not over heating it contuinues to act like it is .

I think Iam going to ask BFG support for another/differant bios if possible , or just RMA this card . Ive never had any problems with ANY game with my GTS/640 . My first BFG card , and maybe my last depending on the /Support/RMA service ; or just ditch the GT thing altogether at this point .

I have two BFG 8800GT's in SLI, housed in a silverstone LC-17 (for games on mah TeeVee), and this BIOS definately helped out. Load temps seem to hold steady around 75 degrees, instead of 85 or higher, where I would sometimes experience lockups. I wish I could get a couple of the new coolers, or even put on an aftermarket cooler, but BFG doesn't like that, so I guess this is as good as it will get.

Sounds like your card might just be toast.

seems i can't update my bios. it seems like it works, i press y to continue. but the bios is not matching the new one, i still have the old bios.

any ideas?????

thanks!

Back