Nintendos secret weapon to finally win this console war

oqvist

[H]F Junkie
This is the coolest thing ever... This must be the next generation gaming controller.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw

I have played around with TrackIR in HL 2 and armed assault and it shows promise you do get the look out of a mirror thingie but not the stereo3Dbut man this is just craaaaazy... I don´t get that stereoscophic vision even with my stereo3d glasses and fresnel lens wonder if it can translate well to true 3D graphics? I think so since it has full control over where your head and eyes are at but I am not so smart as that mega brain asian guy :D Still even if it´s impossible there is tons of innovative and ground breaking games that can be produced thanks to this :). Rush out wii fit and start producing this Nintendo will make virtuaboy or what it was called forgotten forever ;)

Wow. :eek:

That was freakin' incredible. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that's what Nintendo's next console did. Moving us closer and closer to "real" virtual reality. Matrix, here we come! :D

Just found that website this guy is the smartest guy I have ever seen for sure.
Also we really don´t have to wait for Wii 2 nintendo could incorporate this feature quite easilly with the Wii (forgetting all about the legal stuff and such).

I mean it´s part of their business plan to release new hardware pheripherals continuously like wii zapper, wii fit etc.

Imagine fight night on a big screen with head tracking, that would be pretty trippy. But the odds of nintendo doing something like this are pretty slim i'd imagine.

Very cool. Did anyone else think that his voice sounded like Kermit the Frog's voice? :D

"It's not easy being green..."

Very cool because of how cheap and effective it is relative to other options for the same effect, but other than that I have to say....

Welcome to 1999.

quite mind boggling... Why don´t we have games that support this technique already... I mean it´s dirt cheap maybe that is the reason. The industry wants us to buy half crappy VR helmets for 1000$ or 3d monitors for 10000$. Both these techniques is inferior... 3d monitors requires that you maintain a spot in the middle that issue is gone with head tracking. And it allows you to see objects from several angles. I don´t know if this technique works with 3D graphics but why wouldn´t it? I desperately need to chat with this guy do we have any gorgeous looking woman in here that can get him to chat with me lol.

Can´t think of a better console to start with then the Wii... It´s widespread and it´s easy to show off the technique in easy accessible titles like Wii sports. However must be some weak point somewhere this should have been done already...

I saw this this morning and I must say it's pretty cool. Though I don't really know how it'd be implemented. When I'm gaming I don't want to have to be moving around that much. I don't even find the Wii that much fun, personally.

hasnt the Wii already outsold the 360 and PS3 already? to me that is a win....

At the rate it's selling, it won't be long before it's outsold both combined! :eek:

OT: My wife got me MOH: Heroes 2 and RE4 for Christmas. I played MOH quite a bit yesterday - it's damn good.

no one counts on 1 year's console sales to dictate the lifespan of a console...

look at the GC, it sold really well for awhile too, and then it crashed and burned bc of a lack of quality games.

These consoles will be around for at least another 3 yrs or so, that's when a winner will be declared. Unless we have ridiculous margins like the PS2 did (120 million units sold *cough*)

It´s not just number of sold consoles it´s how many games they sell... The 360 is more busy for many then the Wii I am sure and it´s the profit that counts not number of consoles sold :).

Nintendo actually won over the Sony and the PS 2 because they make larger profits each year due to their gameboy and now DS mostly ;)

quite mind boggling... Why don´t we have games that support this technique already...

My guess is that they want to take it one step at a time, for business reasons. The Wii already has enough to differentiate it substantially from its "competitors," which was Nintendo's goal. If Nintendo developed all of their ideas and released them with the Wii they would have fewer selling points for future consoles and Sony and MS would be able to catch up more quickly.

In terms of sales I believe the 360 and Wii were about tied going into the holiday season. The shortage of Wiis may have led to people opting for a 360 instead, which probably caused the 360 to remain #1. This is pure speculation as I haven't seen up to date sales numbers anywhere.

Very very impressive...would like to see this implemented sometime.

Very cool.

If someone could incorporate that into a new Wiimote/Nunchuck, you could have some pretty sweet games.

Not to mention even more people complaining about being sore ;)

Next challenge up is figuring how to do this with multiple people. Imagine the possibilities...
Call of Duty 5, you and your friend can cover each other using different angles.

Nintendo actually won over the Sony and the PS 2 because they make larger profits each year due to their gameboy and now DS mostly ;)

this is not true at all. during the heyday of the PS2, the gameboy did not make nearly as much profit as the PS2. only w/ the DS have we seen handhelds start rivaling sales figures of the main consoles... and even then the DS has not moved nearly as many units as the PS2 has, and not for nearly the same price. Even today the PS2 is 129, which is the price of a DS. But back when it was released the PS2 was what, 250 bucks or so?

The DS hasn't come anywhere near the over all game and console sales figures of the PS2.

On topic though, this guy is pretty insane, and I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo has or will make a pass at him in the future. I think he's way to talented at what he is doing to not be offered a job.

Nintendo is probably somewhat scared of VR, bc if you think back abit, Nintendo has tried it before, and it failed abysmally. I'm sure they are thinking about it in their lil R&D workshop, who wouldn't be, its been over a decade since they tried it last, if not nearing two decades. I still don't think all the tech is in place though for a great total VR experience.

this is not true at all. during the heyday of the PS2, the gameboy did not make nearly as much profit as the PS2. only w/ the DS have we seen handhelds start rivaling sales figures of the main consoles... and even then the DS has not moved nearly as many units as the PS2 has, and not for nearly the same price. Even today the PS2 is 129, which is the price of a DS. But back when it was released the PS2 was what, 250 bucks or so?

The DS hasn't come anywhere near the over all game and console sales figures of the PS2.

On topic though, this guy is pretty insane, and I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo has or will make a pass at him in the future. I think he's way to talented at what he is doing to not be offered a job.

Nintendo is probably somewhat scared of VR, bc if you think back abit, Nintendo has tried it before, and it failed abysmally. I'm sure they are thinking about it in their lil R&D workshop, who wouldn't be, its been over a decade since they tried it last, if not nearing two decades. I still don't think all the tech is in place though for a great total VR experience.

you have take costs into account when comparing profits. nintendo may not have had numbers last generation, but with selling each console at a profit from the start, instead of taking a large loss to allow a cheaper price with more expensive hardware (xbox, ps), they remained in the black not counting software sales at all. i believe that microsoft was NEVER in the black on the xbox, and i am sure the ps2 didnt make money until far after it was released.

oh, and make sure you buy a monitor like this when your friends start firing things at your screen http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=AAdku9YhSCI

Nintendo have year after year making bigger profits then Sony so yes they did win ;)

trackIR I have it you don´t get the 3d thing with that even though it should of course be very possible to achieve :). The mirror thingie is exactly the same though.

That would make for some AWESOME fps games. Can you imagine ducking and the like.

That would be, ---SO--- , fun.

not necesarily. if thats the case then would you agree that the highest sold music album ever is the best album ever? same goes for films. is i am legend the best film ever made has it as got the BIGGEST box office gross ever?

Very very impressive...would like to see this implemented sometime.

You can implement it right away with several games using the freetrack link I supplied. TrackIR is grossly overpriced for what it is.

Nintendo have year after year making bigger profits then Sony so yes they did win ;)

trackIR I have it you don´t get the 3d thing with that even though it should of course be very possible to achieve :). The mirror thingie is exactly the same though.

Old trackir supported only two axis, the new 6 axis. You get 100% the effect in the video.

Back