E6750 and Vista 64bit

fantomau

2[H]4U
I was thinking of getting Vista Ultimate 64bit.

According to Newegg, This cpu supports 64bit, But this is what I see:

PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE - x86
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER - x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11, GenuineIntel

On the m$ website, It says this:

If you are currently running Windows XP on your PC you can determine if the PC has a 32- or 64-bit processor by following these steps:
  1. From the Start menu select "My Computer"
  2. From the "My Computer" window select "View system information"
  3. From the "System Properties" window select the "Advanced" tab
  4. From the "Advanced" tab click the "Environment Variables" button
  5. Look through the "System variables" list for a variable called "PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE". If this PC has a 32-bit processor this variable will have a value of "x86". If it has a 64-bit processor this variable will have a value of "x64".
You should consider ordering the 64-bit DVD only if your PC has a 64-bit processor.

So does that mean I cant run the 64bit version of Vista, Even if my cpu has 64bit support?

http://www.intel.com/products/processor/core2duo/prod_brief.pdf

Read page two:

Intel® 64 Architecture

Enables the processor to access larger amounts of memory. With appropriate 64-bit supporting hardware and software, platforms based on an Intel processor supporting Intel 64 architecture can allow the use of extended virtual and physical memory.

Intel® Virtualization Technology (Intel® VT), Intel® Trusted Execution Technology (Intel® TXT), and Intel® 64 architecture require a computer system with a processor, chipset, BIOS, enabling software and/or operating system, device drivers and applications designed for these features. Performance will vary depending on your configuration. Contact your vendor for more information.

Plus, you're running XP 32-bit. So, it will probably only see your processor as a x86 architecture processor.

Now, you want a bit of humor? Here's what my Vista Ultimate x64 has to say about my Q6600.

PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE - AMD64
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER - EM64T Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11, GenuineIntel

Ok, Intel® Virtualization Technology (Intel® VT) is enabled in the bios.

Now, you want a bit of humor? Here's what my Vista Ultimate x64 has to say about my Q6600.

PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE - AMD64
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER - EM64T Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11, GenuineIntel

Weird.

So does that mean I can run Vista x64?

I mean I dont wanna buy it if I cant run it.

If you buy Vista Ultimate retail, you get both the 32-bit and 64-bit DVDs in the same box.
If you buy any other version of Vista retail (including upgrades), you can order the 64-bit DVD for the cost of shipping & handling (about $10-$15). Both DVDs will use the same key (but you can only use the key once, so it's not possible to install both versions on the same PC with the same key... You can however switch over and reactivate (over the phone)).

Only with OEM you have to buy the exact version you want to use. You will only get one DVD, your key will not work on the other version, and you won't be able to order the DVD.

If you know someone who has the DVD, you can just use your key on it (doesn't matter if it's Home, Business or Ultimate, the DVDs are equal, the key makes the difference). You could even download the ISO off the internet and burn it, if you don't want the official media.

I bought Home Premium Upgrade retail, then ordered the 64-bit DVD... But it took too long, so I borrowed my brothers Home Premium OEM x64 DVD and installed it with my key.
This was on an E6600 by the way, as said, all Core2 Duos are 64-bit (as are all Pentium Ds, and some Pentium 4s).

I just built a Vista Home Premium X64 computer for a friend at work using a E6750 and it works great. Go for it. You won't be dissapointed.

All Core 2 processors support 64-bit. They are indeed all x86 processors, but they have 64-bit extensions; the naming is all pretty confusing. There's no such thing as 'x64' except as an abbreviation, they're more accurately x86-64 processors. They report as running in AMD64 mode because AMD invented the 64-bit extensions and Intel largely copied them; Intel's own IA-64 is the Itanium architecture and is not directly back-compatible with 32-bit code, making it slow to run and making the Itanium fairly unpopular.

If you buy Vista Ultimate retail, you get both the 32-bit and 64-bit DVDs in the same box.
If you buy any other version of Vista retail (including upgrades), you can order the 64-bit DVD for the cost of shipping & handling (about $10-$15). Both DVDs will use the same key (but you can only use the key once, so it's not possible to install both versions on the same PC with the same key... You can however switch over and reactivate (over the phone)).

Where would I get more information on this, and find out where to order the 64 bit DVD. I'm buying Vista on the 3rd at school (for 7.50), but I'm pretty sure it only includes the 32 bit premium. I would love to install the 64 bit premium, but none of my friends have any vista disks.

Where would I get more information on this, and find out where to order the 64 bit DVD. I'm buying Vista on the 3rd at school (for 7.50), but I'm pretty sure it only includes the 32 bit premium. I would love to install the 64 bit premium, but none of my friends have any vista disks.

There was a pamphlet in my retail box about the 64-bit media, it basically directed me to http://www.windowsvista.com/1033/ordermedia

Back