Phenom Black Edition Pics (56k is dead...)

alg7_munif

Supreme [H]ardness
I've posted this on another thread but I guess that this deserves a new thread.

Feast your eyes :D :
black2qa9.jpg

black3qf9.jpg

black1sl3.jpg

The cooler looks quite good:
p1010386largenv8.jpg

Copper plate at the bottom:
p1010388largehs3.jpg

4 heat pipes, 2 on each side:
p1010391largebf3.jpg

p1010389largerw3.jpg

Only thin and small copper base plate:
p1010396largepa9.jpg

Others are aluminium fins, you can see through it:
p1010394largewu6.jpg

p1010400largeij8.jpg

Should I clean this and replace it with AS5?:
p1010402largetn8.jpg

I was hoping for a different case sticker for the BE, this one is the same as a normal Phenom:
p1010406largepx0.jpg

Where'd you get that? I want one!! I also would need an AM2+ mobo though.... very nice though, bring on the overclocks!!

Edit: Of course clean that stock crap off and use AS5 ;)

Why is AMD using still using that heatsink. I believe that was the heatsink that came with the FX55 and some of the lower end DP DC 940 opterons. The heatsink that comes off the FX60/X2 before AM2 is way better than that, it has 4 heatpipes, an 80mm temp controlled fan and a thicker piece of copper for the base. This heatsink in the pic looks taller however. Still better than the POS aluminum heatsink they gave my brother with his 5200+ (cheap bastards).

Have fun overclocking.

Where'd you get that? I want one!! I also would need an AM2+ mobo though.... very nice though, bring on the overclocks!!

Edit: Of course clean that stock crap off and use AS5 ;)

It's everywhere in Europe. We got the CPU first before you guys but HD3870s are very limited here not like in the US. It's not mine though, it is for a friend's build, we are still waiting for the K9A2 Platinum to arrive but another friend has the M3A32 MVP Deluxe Wifi, so we might try it there.

Why is AMD using still using that heatsink. I believe that was the heatsink that came with the FX55 and some of the lower end DP DC 940 opterons. The heatsink that comes off the FX60/X2 before AM2 is way better than that, it has 4 heatpipes, an 80mm temp controlled fan and a thicker piece of copper for the base. This heatsink in the pic looks taller however.

Have fun overclocking.
This one also has 4 heatpipes.

BTW, my in-laws are still on 56K, when I went back like 8 months ago I had all my new computer parts shipped there. I set up the computer and when I tried to update or download anything.... holy CRAP I forgot how painful it was. Even my 1mb connection here seems blazing fast compared to that :(

Anyways, keep us updated, good to see these are released. I'm going to go check Newegg now.....

This one also has 4 heatpipes.

Sorry, im hung over. Fact remains, it looks slightly less capable then the stock heatsink I was referring too, maybe its because this phenom has a 95w TDP (I believe), and the FX60 had 125w tdp. But then again I believe this is the same heatsink they would be giving you with a 125w 6400+.

Someone needs to test this.

is it already available (retail)?

Not on Newegg it isn't. I'd wait for the B3 revs, or better yet the 45nm Shanghai parts to show up before taking the Nestea plunge on Phenom though that don't need the performance handicapping TLB fix and for the price to drop like a rock. (And from the looks of it they already have quite a bit...)

The black box is sexy! :)

That HSF looks very similar to the 4 heatpipe cooler that came with my oppy 175.

I remember reading back then they stacked up pretty good against most aftermarket coolers.

I also thought the BE's didn't come with heatsinks... guess they changed that for the Phenoms

Not on Newegg it isn't. I'd wait for the B3 revs, or better yet the 45nm Shanghai parts to show up before taking the Nestea plunge on Phenom though that don't need the performance handicapping TLB fix and for the price to drop like a rock. (And from the looks of it they already have quite a bit...)

Not to mention 6 megs of L3 cache instead of just 2Mb

actually the stock pase that comes on the stock cooler is pretty good stuff (shin-etsu i think)

That would be great if true.I hope it is ! Also nice to see NCIX's info confirmed on the 3 year warranty on it ! :) Cant wait to get mine !

Edit : alg7_munif I have used all three of the 790FX mobos that are out,and have built systems with all three.IMHO the Asus is the best for overclocking as long as you have the latest BIOS.It also seemed to run the coolest of them all.

Edit : alg7_munif I have used all three of the 790FX mobos that are out,and have built systems with all three.IMHO the Asus is the best for overclocking as long as you have the latest BIOS.It also seemed to run the coolest of them all.

I have used the K9A2 Platinum before but the board was DOA so we sent it back but they didn't have it in stock anymore so we went with the M3A32, which is really a brilliant board for the price. It has a better value for money than my overpriced Maximus Formula. The Gigabyte board was out of question because of the PCI-E slot arrangement.

FYI: The heatsink is the same as its designed to cool a max of 125 watt TDP parts, I don't think we have anything that hot anymore so it should work just fine for all other parts.

I just tried it on M3A32 MVP Wifi, 2.7GHz is not AOD stable with stock voltage and stock BE cooler but the cooler is quite good, max temp is 48C at load with 2.7GHz compared to 55C at load with normal Phenom 9600 @2.3GHz and normal stock cooler.

Why is AMD using still using that heatsink. I believe that was the heatsink that came with the FX55 and some of the lower end DP DC 940 opterons. The heatsink that comes off the FX60/X2 before AM2 is way better than that, it has 4 heatpipes, an 80mm temp controlled fan and a thicker piece of copper for the base. This heatsink in the pic looks taller however. Still better than the POS aluminum heatsink they gave my brother with his 5200+ (cheap bastards).

Have fun overclocking.

you mean the AVC Z7U7414001 !

this is why they're still using it!!!
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2001&page=5

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1962

Well if the supplied heatsink is decent enough and getting an aftermarket cooler won't help the OC much, getting the BE 9600 is just like getting a stock 2.8GHz Phenom at the price of 2.3GHz :D I would rather have a 2.8GHz BE Phenom B2 with stock heatsink and pay the price of a 2.3GHz Phenom than paying more for a stock 2.8GHz Phenom B3.

BTW, just to satisfy some of our curiosities, what is the size of that fan?

Yeah bullshit the AVC z7u7414001 is better than a zalman CPNS9500 or some of the other coolers that link says its better than, id rather listen to madshrimps on what they got to say about this heatsink, but currently theirs nothing on it at madshrimps.

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&number=9&artpage=1656&articID=406

also that was the heatsink I was referring too just incase their was any confusion.

I think the reason they use it is because its smaller than the heatsink in the link above, so they put more boxes into a case or however they do it, combined with the fact that, yeah it mite be better.

wow, all interested in a HSF (which can be replaced decently cheaply) and not what he is doing w/ the $2xx CPU...
I am personally waiting for B3 stepping for 2 reasons: end of the errata, and by then the AM2+ boards should have more maturity and better offerings. I have a coolermaster stacker 832 to fill up, and want the best board I can get.

wow, all interested in a HSF (which can be replaced decently cheaply) and not what he is doing w/ the $2xx CPU...

I made the comment that AMD was cheapening up the stock heatsinks, that the ones that came with dual core 939 chips, the madshrimps link I had on my last reply, were better than the heatsink coming with the BE 9600, j1979 begged to differ, giving me the links he did. And I begged to differ with the sites results because their testing methodology in my book is flawed.

http://www.frostytech.com/testmethod_mk2.cfm

Basically what they do is put the heatsinks on a machine that produces x watts of heat, say 125 to represent a stock 125w AMD dual core chip, Then they measure how many degrees over ambient temp is the base of this machine. First its not done in a computer case with an actual CPU that this heatsink would be used on, second the surface which the heatsink comes in contact with isn't an accurate representation of a CPU because the heatspreader on both intel and AMD heatsinks are nickel plated copper, and depending on what chip you got, the IHS could be slightly concave or convex. Secondly you can't factor in the ambient case temps which computers are usually housed in, this is why heatsinks with fans that point towards the back are better than fans that point down due to air flow, which this doesn't test.

Bla bla bla it goes on, I am really not interested in that, all I said was I thought the old heatsink they used was better than their new one, only one person took interest that I said that, he gave me some sketchy test results of this new heatsink, I am not saying their wrong, I was just saying I can't in any way be satisfied by the results of the test when the test itself was flawed. None of this pertains to the OP other than the fact it was the stock heatsink which I made the comment on, I wasn't telling him to get this heatsink over that one.

the most important question: how does it compare to an overclocked q6600? :)

Back