Might pull the trigger on an NEC 2490WUXi, owners, how do you like yours?

Dunan

[H]ard|Gawd
These look like the best bang for the buck for pro LCD's. I would look into the 2690 but they are backordered everywhere.

Does anyone own one of these and what do you think?

dead pixels, uneven backlighting, etc......

How are the blacks, i know the contrast ratio is is little under the norm at 800:1 but the 400nit whites are a plus. This will be for color critical work, and a more usable ratio. At least I wont get blinded to death:D

I cant find any reviews on them either, only the 2690...........:(

so NO ONE owns one of these and can input their experience with them......:confused:

bumpzzzz

I just ordered one; will receive it monday. Couldn't find anything else that I thought I would be satisfied with - hopefully it will be really good.

I just ordered one; will receive it monday. Couldn't find anything else that I thought I would be satisfied with - hopefully it will be really good.

i have to ask, where did you order yours from?

i might get it today from provantage or whatever the place is called...

so NO ONE owns one of these and can input their experience with them......:confused:

bumpzzzz

Do a search for a user named ToastyX. He is pretty tech savy on LCDs, owns one and has posted his review, thoughts, etc.

i have to ask, where did you order yours from?

i might get it today from provantage or whatever the place is called...

Ordered from Provantage. At least they have someone there you can talk to and the price was about the best I could find. If I was willing to spend about $100 more I would have ordered from CDW as they have a record of good service. I have no experience whatsoever with Provantage. It was shipped same day I ordered.

I have had mine for a month, moving over from a 19" CRT.

I love it. The H-IPS panel (same one in the 24" iMac it is sitting next to) is great. Even illumination, wide viewing angles, awesome color, no dithering, no significant ghosting in fast FPS games like Q3 or TF2, it is awesome. My one cencern was reported input lag relative to a CRT or TN LCDs, but if it is there I don't notice it. I can rail Q3 bots and fight as effectively with the scout in TF2 as I used to on my old CRT.

The only thing I would look out for at this point is if Apple introduces an update to their monitors. Rumor is that they will be doing a long overdue product refresh during Macworld. If this is the case, they will certainly use that same H-IPS panel in the NEC and 24" iMac, except that it will be cheaper than the NEC as Apple's price in that size is currently $900. If they put in that panel and have a price drop, no contest.

So yeah, if you can hold off another week and a half before pulling the trigger it might be a good idea to wait and see.

I love it. The H-IPS panel (same one in the 24" iMac it is sitting next to) is great. Even illumination, wide viewing angles, awesome color, no dithering, no significant ghosting in fast FPS games like Q3 or TF2, it is awesome. My one cencern was reported input lag relative to a CRT or TN LCDs, but if it is there I don't notice it. I can rail Q3 bots and fight as effectively with the scout in TF2 as I used to on my old CRT.

The only thing I would look out for at this point is if Apple introduces an update to their monitors. Rumor is that they will be doing a long overdue product refresh during Macworld. If this is the case, they will certainly use that same H-IPS panel in the NEC and 24" iMac, except that it will be cheaper than the NEC as Apple's price in that size is currently $900. If they put in that panel and have a price drop, no contest.

So yeah, if you can hold off another week and a half before pulling the trigger it might be a good idea to wait and see.

It won't be cheaper. What makes you think Apple, who is charging $900 for a 23" old 16ms panel, will not charge more for a 24" 6ms panel with better technology? I would estimate a retail debut at $1100+ for the 24" model. Besides, the Apple CDs have had issues with Windows PCs and are far outclassed by the NEC in control and functionality.

Ordered from Provantage. At least they have someone there you can talk to and the price was about the best I could find. If I was willing to spend about $100 more I would have ordered from CDW as they have a record of good service. I have no experience whatsoever with Provantage. It was shipped same day I ordered.

cool, thats where i'm going to order from:cool:

no dead pixels, anything like that? color shifting, what about banding?

I have a 2690 for a year now, and I'm quite happy with it. Especially HD stuff is treat with these. I do find that its colors are so prominent, you need to really set that back a nodge for most applications.

There's a huge 2690 thread you might want to check for all the ins and outs. I don't feel like writing it all down again.. ;-)

It won't be cheaper. What makes you think Apple, who is charging $900 for a 23" old 16ms panel, will not charge more for a 24" 6ms panel with better technology? I would estimate a retail debut at $1100+ for the 24" model. Besides, the Apple CDs have had issues with Windows PCs and are far outclassed by the NEC in control and functionality.

Most of the time Apple either keeps the prices on their products the same, or incrementally lowers their prices even while boosting specs. This has been the case with their LCDs right from the beginning. Improved specs, panels, etc, are either accompanied by the same price as the previous model or a simultaneous price drop. I have never seen a price increase on any of their product lines, monitors included.

Keep in mind that that same improved H-IPS panel in the NEC is also in the current 24" iMac, and that baseline 24" iMac is cheaper than the prior 24" iMac which had an inferior LCD panel (not to mention inferior CPU, GPU, hard drive, enclosure, etc...). I will be very very surprised if a new monitor results in a price increase.

Otherwise I know of no issues that current ACDs have with Windows, and as far as control this is all stuff that you can do via hardware profiles or graphics drivers (which I do anyway when I calibrate my screens).

Mine should be here (from ProVantage) next week.

...and I just pulled the trigger on the SpectraView Kit directly from NEC.

Has anyone used this SpectraView software and the Colorimeter in Vista Ultimate 64?

I have been reading that Vista's Color Management is buggy when it comes to ICC profiles.

I plan to calibrate the monitor and I guess generate an ICC profile for Windows to use. Then I will use an application called "Windows Calibration Wizard" to force this same ICC profile in games since apparently games usually ignore the Windows ICC profile.

Mine should be here (from ProVantage) next week.

...and I just pulled the trigger on the SpectraView Kit directly from NEC.

Has anyone used this SpectraView software and the Colorimeter in Vista Ultimate 64?

I have been reading that Vista's Color Management is buggy when it comes to ICC profiles.

I plan to calibrate the monitor and I guess generate an ICC profile for Windows to use. Then I will use an application called "Windows Calibration Wizard" to force this same ICC profile in games since apparently games usually ignore the Windows ICC profile.

i did the same thing. mine also should be here early next week.

windows calibration wizard works well so far for using the calibrated profile for gaming.

I am so glad I didn't buy a cheaper, less quality display. Got it yesterday and the only thing I have done is turn down the brightness. Photo's look absolutely stunning with detail that almost takes your breath away. Web surfing is great to. Oh, I also managed to get a bit of work in and updated a couple of websites and designed a brochure. AND I haven't even calibrated it yet. I am also glad I didn't go for the 26". This one is about as big as I would want on my desktop.
No issues, hopefully it will stay that way. Very satisfied with my purchase.

I am so glad I didn't buy a cheaper, less quality display. Got it yesterday and the only thing I have done is turn down the brightness. Photo's look absolutely stunning with detail that almost takes your breath away. Web surfing is great to. Oh, I also managed to get a bit of work in and updated a couple of websites and designed a brochure. AND I haven't even calibrated it yet. I am also glad I didn't go for the 26". This one is about as big as I would want on my desktop.
No issues, hopefully it will stay that way. Very satisfied with my purchase.

so its that good, huh?:D

nice.

how are the shadows in the blacks, the detail?

if its that good i just may sell my benq.....

The NEC sucks. It makes you realize how crappy all other LCD monitors are. It will ruin all other LCD monitors for you. Be warned.

The NEC sucks. It makes you realize how crappy all other LCD monitors are. It will ruin all other LCD monitors for you. Be warned.

Best endorsement yet. :)

I have two of these panels side by side, one in the NEC, the other in the iMac, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't spoiled right now.

so its that good, huh?:D

nice.

how are the shadows in the blacks, the detail?

if its that good i just may sell my benq.....

I have not seen the BenQ but I bet if you get the NEC you will put it as your 2nd display or sell it.
I have not really done any color critical work yet. I am considering ordering the NEC calibration package. Out of the box I have no complaints. Black is deep for a LCD. I went from a Dell 1905 which is a good LCD but the NEC is tons more vibrant, richer and accurate out of the box. Of course until true calibration the "accurate" is relative. If I were not doing photo editing and publishing I certainly would not bother with any calibration - turn the brightness down and you are good to go.

I adore mine. I bought it almost two month ago now and I've never looked back. For me, it's as close to "perfect" as anyone's going to get anywhere remotely in these price ranges. No, it's not cheap, but you get what you pay for IMO. Top quality IPS all the way is where it's at for me.

I have not seen the BenQ but I bet if you get the NEC you will put it as your 2nd display or sell it.
I have not really done any color critical work yet. I am considering ordering the NEC calibration package. Out of the box I have no complaints. Black is deep for a LCD. I went from a Dell 1905 which is a good LCD but the NEC is tons more vibrant, richer and accurate out of the box. Of course until true calibration the "accurate" is relative. If I were not doing photo editing and publishing I certainly would not bother with any calibration - turn the brightness down and you are good to go.

right on good to hear about the blacks.

i ordered the spectraview software from NEC since i have the one eye display 2, hopefully it will calibrate nicely

Pretty much this.

I have the 2690 (2 of them actually), and all I can say is that working on anything else makes my eyes cry :).

I've been researching the best 24" display and display technology for the better part of the past two months. I'm about to pull the trigger on the LCD2490WUXi as well. I see a lot of people are buying from provantage. What revision model are you receiving? Could you post the first few numbers of the serial number? I don't want to get a model with the standby bug (versions prior to 2C). I believe the information is located on the box as well as the display itself. The OP was ToastyX in another thread.

I purchased a 2490wuxi and a 2190uxi this past October. Fantastic.

I would have gotten two 2490s but wanted to run one in portrait mode. The 2490 seems a little ridiculous in portrait mode...

I thought they would match up well but that was not the case out of the box. The 2490 is the better of the two. To get them to match I set the brightness on the 2490 at 50% and turned on autoluminance. Then I tweaked the colors a bit on the 2190 while leaving it's brightness just shy of 100%.

Please somebody enlighten me on the 'standby bug'.

Buuuu..... :mad: :( :( :mad: :( :(
Everyone is buying from provantage. Do you know if they ship to Europe? :)
I waaaaaant oooooneeeee as welllllll.....
:)

Back