NVIDIA Roadmap Outline for 1H08

Sounds fairly weak a line-up, unless the 9800GTX/GT are truly big beasts. Hope ATI's R700 doesn't whack them by surprise! The GX2 still is laughable, and the 8800GS being such a low production run is not a good thing :(.

This is what happens when AMD is putting out mid lvl cards and not pushing forward..... *sniff*

I feel we're just getting tossed around here .. just re-spins of cards to get a new name out there .. Will the real next gen card please stand up (now dammit!)

GeForce 9800 GTX in March or Feb eh ?

I wonder how many SP it will carry? Some on B3D think 192 SP @ 2Ghz.

This is what happens when your next architecture is having issues and you're not being really pressured by your competition. You guys seriously think Nvidia would play it this slow if they could actually put the final nails in the coffin? No way in hell. There are other issues here. The 9000 series is nothing more than a refresh to G80, we've already seen part of this series under the 8000 series name, they're called 8800GT and GTS 512MB. Those two cards could have easily launched as the 9000 series much like AMD did with the 3800 series.

"The 8800 GS is 192-bit bus and will ship in 320MB, 512MB, and 640MB versions with a trimmed down number of stream processors as well."

this has to be a typo because the 192bit 8800gs will be 384MB or 768MB. This would seem to be so, but until I have full confirmation from two sources, I will leave it. - Kyle

Fixed - Kyle

GeForce 8800 Ultra will be replaced by the GeForce 9800 GX2 in February / March timeframe. More information and pictures are here.

The GeForce 8800 GTX will be replaced by the GeForce 9800 GTX in February / March timeframe. This card will support Tri-SLI.
If the 9800GX2 is just 2x G92 8800GTS, we won't see a fast 9800GTX.

If I read this correctly......8800GTX = 9800 GTX, except for a smaller die size????

I just invested in a third 8800GTX to go on my 680i MB. I wasnt sure it was a good idea, if there were new cards coming.......but now it looks like the power is in multiples and not new cards; at least until mid year.

Interesting.
Thanks, Kyle for the information.:D

Well i am really kinda sad that the 9800gt isnt comin out til probably marchish

And it just drives further thoughts in my mind saying hey if there is no competition we the consumer lose - while i dont think the 38xx cards are bad or under performers, we just arent seeing the products we hoped for.

i hope this isnt an indication of the way the year will progress for technology

Well i am really kinda sad that the 9800gt isnt comin out til probably marchish

sorry for the n00b question, but will the 9800GTX just be a faster clocked 9800GT? Will there be other differences (cooler, etc)? Am I completely missing the mark?

I guess price plays a big role too...

Looks like I'll be sticking with my 8800 Ultra for a while, unless the 9800GTX or 9800GX2 look better in reality then than do here.

I have to agree with the assesment of the 7950GX2. I still have my pair and they just sucked in quad-SLI. I'm kinda suprised to see another part like this, plus only 30% faster than an 8800 Ultra? I guess that means on average.

Yeah, looks lame as hell right now. Either nVidia is having issues with next gen architecture or they really are trying to milk all they can because of AMD's lack of competitiveness.

I guess they are doing like intel. might as well have a rest and rake in some cash while there is not much competition.

What's the 9800GTX? G92 with more SP and more memory bandwidth? If so count me in. My 512MB GTS cards need more memory bandwidth.

I was really hoping for a new architecture. I've been running 8800 cards since last November. Yawn.

So what it comes down to is, they are shuffling around their product line a bit to better compete with ATI's midrange parts, and holding back everything else due to a lack of competition.

So the 9800 series is just a refresh of the G92?! WTF Nvidia!?

Really hope ATI blind sides Nvidia with the R680/R700 and pounds them into oblivion as retribution for raping the video card market!

Would also be helpful if intel gives them a good raping with Larrabee! :mad:

So the 9800 series is just a refresh of the G92?! WTF Nvidia!?

Really hope ATI blind sides Nvidia with the R680/R700 and pounds them into oblivion as retribution for raping the video card market!

Would also be helpful if intel gives them a good raping with Larrabee! :mad:

I would not even dignify this as a 'refresh' of G92.As for Larabee,I think the pounding that will come will be inevitable.But also years away.

some will snooze, some will stay will what they've already got...

some will flame...

Nvidia has really found a great way to confuse its consumers!

ATI's move to the simpler designation makes much more sense than this convoluted junk

I would not even dignify this as a 'refresh' of G92.As for Larabee,I think the pounding that will come will be inevitable.But also years away.

Apparently late 2008 - early 2009 is the projected release for Larrabee. Recall reading somewhere that intel was snatching up gpu engineers left right and center. :D

Disappointing ?
sonofwaffle.gif

Apparently late 2008 - early 2009 is the projected release for Larrabee. Recall reading somewhere that intel was snatching up gpu engineers left right and center. :D

I've read that in places too. Although I question using up to 16 (so the rumor mill says) simple in-order scalar X86 cores, other than for GPGPU. The X86 instruction set isn't exactly the most efficient...

What's really sad about this is that AMD might actually have the faster card in March at this rate. We know Crossfire generally scales much better than SLI (up to 100% performance increase where as SLI never comes close to that) so a 3870 X2 might actually be as fast or faster than a 9800GX2. Honestly, a 30% increase after a year-and-a-half or almost two years? Come the fuck on...

The 9800 GX2 is said to be at least 30% faster than a 8800 Ultra

2 new gpus in sli and just "at least 30% faster than a 8800 Ultra" ??!?!?!

if should be at least 60% !!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's really sad about this is that AMD might actually have the faster card in March at this rate. We know Crossfire generally scales much better than SLI (up to 100% performance increase where as SLI never comes close to that) so a 3870 X2 might actually be as fast or faster than a 9800GX2. Honestly, a 30% increase after a year-and-a-half or almost two years? Come the fuck on...

Wow.. Crossfire scales 100%? SLI scales much less than that? Don't provide proof or anything

I really hope AMD/ATI or whatever we're supposed to call them get their act together and pull another 9700pro on nvidia. It's astonishing to think the 8800GTX will be nearly 2 years old before there's a serious replacement, and even that's just speculation at this point.
It might be a sensible business plan for nVidia, but they're starting to look smug and lazy to me.

NV, you did so well with the 8800GT, then you pooched availability. Now that the 8800GT is getting more common, we're all waiting for the next-generation parts. I don't see them. I purchased my 8600GT (for $120) almost 9 months ago, and I'm looking for something new to replace it with. I don't want a 120W card (330W PSU, MicroATX case), I don't want to pay $260, I don't have a 30" monitor, and I don't play Crysis. I want a nice, sensible, $150, 75W card with the kind of performance you delivered on the old 8800GTS.

ATI's Radeon HD3850 is looking pretty darn attractive at $170 now, considering that you can't even buy a GeForce 8800-series card (256M or 512M) for under $250 on the Egg right now.

I don't think any of this has anything to do with nvidia not being able to get their next gen parts working. IMO it's all down to the lack of competition. If there was pressure coming from ATI then I'd bet my ass that nvidia would have a new architechture ready for release. Without it, they can afford to take a nap almost.

If the R700 from ATI shows itself to be something special, you can bet your bottom dollar intel will try to respond with a completetly new part.

Nvidia will not spend money on R&D unless ATI trumps it. It was made plain and simple in 07 and continues in 08. If ATI went under right now they would probably not release anything in 08. I wonder what their engineering department is doing or has been doing the last year.

It'll have to be faster then the gx2 thats for sure, if its going to have 192sp's you can expect a 50% increase compared to the current gtx.

Let me qoute it again:
GeForce 8800 Ultra will be replaced by the GeForce 9800 GX2 in February / March timeframe. More information and pictures are here.

The GeForce 8800 GTX will be replaced by the GeForce 9800 GTX in February / March timeframe. This card will support Tri-SLI.
So you are expecting the 8800GTX replacement to be faster than the 8800Ultra replacement? I bet the 9800GTX would perform just like a 8800Ultra on steriods but cost a little cheaper.

Thats what i was thinking.
If the 8800 Ultra replacment (9800 GX2) is CRAP, then the 8800GTX replacement (9800 GTX) will be even worse. They look to be launched around the same time. If thats the case then what a load of rubbish.

I bought a 8800 GT 320 in August because i wanted to wait till the end of the year (2007) for a new high end card. Well that never showed up. Now this poo shows up. I keep thinking i should have just bought a GTX/Ultra back then.

GTX/Ultra owners have had a good run with thier cards.
Looks worse then a bunch of FX5*** cards.

#runs away utterly pissed off#

Back