NZXT Rogue and coolers

boomhower

Weaksauce
I have searched around and have not found any luck in finding what coolers will fit in this thing. As big as it is it should fit about anything but I have not found anything concrete. Mainly I am looking to pair a Asus P5E-VM HDMI with a Q9450 when they drop and top it off with a 120 Extreme if it will fit. I have a lead on a good deal for a 120 but need to know if it will fit before I get it.

Its slightly bigger than a QMicra v2 and that case can house a Zalman 9700 hsf in it. A search here on HF brought up 9 threads about the Rogue and there are some reviews up on the net. Just google around and you should find something. Craigbru even has a worklog posted of his Rogue build up here at HF. Read it and see what he's done. Maybe even send him a pm for his opinion. Maybe send a email to the company too and ask them whats the biggest hsf they have had or seen in their Rogue.

I just happened to run across this thread. I've taken a couple of shots to give you an idea of the room you'll have. Although it's a roomy case, you are limited to coolers under ~130mm in height.

img3628ib8.jpg

img3630aa7.jpg

Well, at least now he has a height number to work with. Should make things easier for him.

Wouldn't facing TRUE towards PSU solve the issue? I was going to get Rogue as well and use TRUE but measurement that I got told me I couldn't face TRUE towards rear exhaust fan which would have been best way. Instead facing TRUE towards PSU should work. I'm currently working on my 2yr old X-Qpack. I've got 4x1GB Ballistix Tracer, P5E-VM HDMI and 620HX and waiting for Q9450 and nice graphics card to go with it at the time of getting Q9450. I can't say I can fit TRUE in my case with P5E-VM HDMI because CPU is closer to PCI slots then DS2R but I'm about 99% sure I can although it's going to be very tight as in maybe 1mm gap or butt up against PSU. I almost though about getting DS2R which there shouldn't be any issue fitting TRUE but I took my chances and got my current Mobo(which BTW I can't OC at all for some reason) I think 13cm limit that craigbru was talking about is because of PSU. Can you confirm this craigbru since you have it and you are doing awesome job with it? Twice in a row that is. :)

Just to throw up some comparisons the 8700hsf is 67mm high, 9500hsf is 125mm high and the 9700hsf is 142mm high. The 120 Ultra and Extreme are 160.5mm high, the Ultra 90 is 147mm high, the XP-120 is 63mm high, and the AC Freezer 7 pro is 126.5mm high.

Wouldn't facing TRUE towards PSU solve the issue? I was going to get Rogue as well and use TRUE but measurement that I got told me I couldn't face TRUE towards rear exhaust fan which would have been best way. Instead facing TRUE towards PSU should work. I'm currently working on my 2yr old X-Qpack. I've got 4x1GB Ballistix Tracer, P5E-VM HDMI and 620HX and waiting for Q9450 and nice graphics card to go with it at the time of getting Q9450. I can't say I can fit TRUE in my case with P5E-VM HDMI because CPU is closer to PCI slots then DS2R but I'm about 99% sure I can although it's going to be very tight as in maybe 1mm gap or butt up against PSU. I almost though about getting DS2R which there shouldn't be any issue fitting TRUE but I took my chances and got my current Mobo(which BTW I can't OC at all for some reason) I think 13cm limit that craigbru was talking about is because of PSU. Can you confirm this craigbru since you have it and you are doing awesome job with it? Twice in a row that is. :)

Right, the 13cm limit is because of the PSU, which you can see in the pic. You may have a board with the CPU socket further away from the PCI slots, and if so, the height may be less of a concern. Meaning you could change the orientation of the CPU cooler to run parallel to the PSU. However, I don't have any air coolers to test with as I've been watercooling, and prior to that, I was running Shuttles.

Right, the 13cm limit is because of the PSU, which you can see in the pic. You may have a board with the CPU socket further away from the PCI slots, and if so, the height may be less of a concern. Meaning you could change the orientation of the CPU cooler to run parallel to the PSU. However, I don't have any air coolers to test with as I've been watercooling, and prior to that, I was running Shuttles.

OK, at least now we know it's PSU for height limit. I have P5E-VM HDMI which CPU sit closer to PCI slots then most other motherboards out there. I'm 99.9% sure that you can face TRUE towards PSU in Rogue though.

Thanks for the help. That gives me a some numbers to work with. Hopefully someone else tries it before I get around to it in month or so.

I think I would risk it if I was getting a 120 extreme. You should be able to work out the CPU socket location on the P5E-VM with the aid of the picture in this thread:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1233021&page=11

To toss another cooler into the arena, I have similar plans to yours. Rogue+P5E-VM+Q9450. At the moment I'm planning to use a ZEROtherm BTF92, which is 130mm tall so should just squeeze in regardless of the PSU. So I'm interested to see if anyone fits the 120 extreme or not. :)

That should help. If all else fails I'll go with a Ultima-90. Not much seems to really come close. Mainly I was wanting to stay with 120mm fans in the name of quiteness. My current system is watercooled and almost completely silent. I was hoping to go with a rogue and a 120 extreme out fitted with low speed yates all around and have a nearly silent quad system running at 3.5 or better on a 45nm CPU.

I noticed the Rogue review over at benchmarkreviews.com is, rather usefully for us, using a P5E-VM.

Also they're able to successfully mount a Cooler Master Hyper 212:

nzxt_rogue_29.jpg

This HSF is 122x92x160 mm, so we should be able to mount anything within that width I'd imagine. :)

Now that is a great pic. Looks like room is not going to be a problem. Now a top down view would be icing on the cake.

Now that is a great pic. Looks like room is not going to be a problem. Now a top down view would be icing on the cake.

This is the nearest. You can work out from the line of the heatsink that it's pretty much flush against the edge of where the PSU would be.. so not much more room widthwise:

nzxt_rogue_28.jpg

Heres another review I came across. It has another feature that is sorely lacking in most other cases, the ability to disconnect unneeded front ports.

Anyone finished a build, using the Gigabyte GA-GE33M-DS2R? I was wondering about the space for the CPU cooler... finding one under 130 mm in hight, and with enough cooling, might not be easy.
I'm currently looking at the Noctua NH-U9, which is 128 mm in hight.
As cooling fan Nanoxia FX09 - (1400 rpm, 43 m3/t and 13db)
This should be enougt to cool a E6850

Anyone finished a build, using the Gigabyte GA-GE33M-DS2R? I was wondering about the space for the CPU cooler... finding one under 130 mm in hight, and with enough cooling, might not be easy.
I'm currently looking at the Noctua NH-U9, which is 128 mm in hight.
As cooling fan Nanoxia FX09 - (1400 rpm, 43 m3/t and 13db)
This should be enougt to cool a E6850

I don't think anyone here has completed a air set-up. It looks like width is going to be more of an issue than height. The performance between that and the Cooler Master used in the posted set-up should perform pretty close, with similar noise levels. The ultima-90 should also fit with plenty of clearance and outperform both of them. If a 120 won't fit I am going to go with a 90.

Anyone finished a build, using the Gigabyte GA-GE33M-DS2R? I was wondering about the space for the CPU cooler...

Spidey sense is telling me that the Thermalright 120 extreme will fit on the Asus P5E-VM in the Rogue (just).. so it should be certain to fit on the GA-G33M-DS2R, as the CPU socket is further up the board. :)

I'm currently working on a build with a Q6600, theThermalright Ultra120 eXtreme and the Gigabyte GA-GE33M-DS2R. Here are a few pics I took this morning:

new_rig_005.jpg

new_rig_009.jpg

new_rig_014.jpg

@jamemail... How is it working out with the Ultra 120 eXtreme?

I'm thinking about the Ultima-90 or maybe the SI128.... hard to deside.
Orderday is monday.

I just recieved my Rogue wanted to share some pictures before I mod it.

Planning on putting a full size ATX in it along with a Thermaltake 7" lcd and LG BD/HD dvd player have not decided on the other items yet

jan08210.jpg

I wished the front door would swing back further may have to think of a way to disconnect it quicker than unscrewing two screws
jan08202.jpg

How deep the case is
jan08247.jpg

How tall from M/B to top of case
jan08a003.jpg

Height from M/B to internal mounts
jan08a005.jpg

How much room on either side of 51/4 drive bays
jan08a006.jpg

Here is a couple of shots with a full size ATX laying inside.
jan08234.jpg

jan08230.jpg

Just ordered mine this mourning. I went with a P5E-VM HDMI, e8400, cooler master hyper 212. The cooler performs on par with the ultima 90 and comes with mounts for a second 120mm fan. That combined with the cooler running 45nm chip should prove to be more than enough cooling power. Plus I know it fits.

If you order the case get it from buy.com. Go here to get another 5% off. Much cheaper than the egg(about $50 with shipping for the blue.)

Just ordered mine this mourning. I went with a P5E-VM HDMI, e8400, cooler master hyper 212. The cooler performs on par with the ultima 90 and comes with mounts for a second 120mm fan. That combined with the cooler running 45nm chip should prove to be more than enough cooling power. Plus I know it fits.

If you order the case get it from buy.com. Go here to get another 5% off. Much cheaper than the egg(about $50 with shipping for the blue.)

Thanks for posting that deal. Well looks like my sff setup is complete. I just placed my order for the Red LED version of this case. Hope I can throw an Ultra 120 in mines. :D

@'99...I finally got the machine up and running last week and took it to a small lan party this past weekend. The system ran great. I ended up hosting all the games played and even hosted while loading games that I didn't have time to install before the lan party.

I lapped the cpu and TRUE before installing them and was surprised at how easy that was to do. My temps (using Core Temp) on all 4 cores at idle was between 22 and 24 and my max core temp coming out of games was 35. I hope to start overclocking this week.

First off lets say this thread is awesome with a wealth of information. I have one question. I am wondering it is is possible to mount a Thermalright Ultima 90 from front to back on a Gigabyte G33-DS2R, or would you run into the same problem as with the TRUE with the powersupply?

Bumping this awesome thread.

I'm building a Rogue (red) with an ASUS P5E-VM, Q9550 ES, 8800GTX (waiting for GT250 maybe), and plan on migrating my Ultra120 over. I'll get pics and stuff when it comes in.

Bumping this awesome thread.

I'm building a Rogue (red) with an ASUS P5E-VM, Q9550 ES, 8800GTX (waiting for GT250 maybe), and plan on migrating my Ultra120 over. I'll get pics and stuff when it comes in.

so... did the ultra 120 fits?

bumping this thread to see any other coolers that can fit in the Rogue...

anyone?

I built up a machine using the rampage 2 gene and a true and posted pics here.
The link in that first post does have a straight top down shot too.

After I get more ram, the second video card, and the aftermarket coolers for the cards, I plan on taking more pics and updating.
The video card coolers are going to be a challenge, because they can't be thick or tall in that case, but i think i can jam an trad2 with a couple slim fans on the top video card, and then an accelero extreme on the bottom card.

Nice, CrazyRob... I am currently trying to shoehorn a Scythe Mugen 2 on my Rampage II Gene inside the Nzxt Rogue... It's so tight!

Looks like it may also cover a ram slot, also I'm afraid these OCZ Reapers aren't going to make things easy.

Nice, CrazyRob... I am currently trying to shoehorn a Scythe Mugen 2 on my Rampage II Gene inside the Nzxt Rogue... It's so tight!

Looks like it may also cover a ram slot, also I'm afraid these OCZ Reapers aren't going to make things easy.

Yeah with the required orientation of my True, extended height ramsinks will not fit in the first slot. Originally i had planned on some gskill modules that were like that, but went with ocz instead. My second set of OCZ 3x2gb 1866 mhz modules are on their way :D

How close is the heat sink to the PSU? I can't quite see from the picture you posted.

So you couldn't rotate the mount 90 degrees? I'm trying to figure out if that's possible with mine... I have yet to remove the original backplate.

Cheers to your kickass i7 Rogue!

How close is the heat sink to the PSU? I can't quite see from the picture you posted.

So you couldn't rotate the mount 90 degrees? I'm trying to figure out if that's possible with mine... I have yet to remove the original backplate.

Cheers to your kickass i7 Rogue!

The power supply is about 3/4 of an inch away from the heatsink as configured, I can't imagine any way a True would fit exhausting to the rear

Back