Long Island Company To buy CompUSA Assets

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks as though TigerDirect will be buying CompUSA’a assets consisting of 16 stores, its website and the CompUSA brand name. The stores and web site will continue operating under the CompUSA brand.

"We think customers really like the brand," Gilbert Fiorentino, TigerDirect's chief executive, said in an interview yesterday. "Our goal is to retain the heritage."

Bought by tigerdirect... i suppose there are worse things that can happen ;)

My experience with them was lackluster, nothing special... Except they left 300 dollars worth of kit on my front porch...

Oh well, if they match TD prices in CompUSA, then im sure itll be great for enthusiasts, more local places to pick up parts and save shipping when you need to :)

So now those employees are not longer fired? Thats good for them.

I am not so sure about liking the brand... at least from an enthusiasts point of view.

They are ok for mom and pops I guess who feel they are getting good info when shopping. For me I always remember ComUSA as having inflated prices and lackluster deals <shrug> Here's to hoping TD can turn it all around.

If somehow the stores act as a physical front for t ewebsite, this could work out very well. CompUSA always had high prices, but if linked to TD, they could be substantially lower. I would have changed the name, however...

"We think customers really like the brand," Gilbert Fiorentino, TigerDirect's chief executive, said in an interview yesterday. "Our goal is to retain the heritage."

I'm not sure what kind of 'heritage' he's talking about but the only thing that I've gotten to know CompUSA for is overly inflated prices and insanely expensive and useless service plans.

I'm not sure what kind of 'heritage' he's talking about but the only thing that I've gotten to know CompUSA for is overly inflated prices and insanely expensive and useless service plans.

This meshes pretty nicely with TD's 'heritage' of poor service and lost rebates...

I was really hoping Fry's was going to move into the neighborhood... guess not.

I wish it was Fry's, they could make mini chain stores. That would be awesome.

Anyways, for being TD, I guess it's better than nothing, but I think CompUSA is done with.

Anyways, for being TD, I guess it's better than nothing, but I think CompUSA is done with.

Agree. Anyway Tiger Direct was in talks to buy most of the company outright at first but it somehow fell through. After that they were in talks to buy the website but looks like they are picking up some of the busy stores in the process.

Now if only fry's or microcenter would expand more and open up in my area.....

This is good news for me! I always hated compusa way overpriced and horrid customer service along with very shady return policies my only surprise was that it took them this long to go out of business. Tiger Direct can only improve the store because it's not possible for them to make it any worse :D and there is one just a few miles from my house. Previously had to drive 35 miles to get to a Tiger Direct.

I dont know about this heritage and customers like the name stuff though, I suspect if Tiger Direct took a poll at least 75% of people would have similiar input as myself!

If it is, expect rejection notices of pay because they filled out the paperwork wrong and 3-6 months delivery.

Wow. Why don't they just buy the "Edsel" name and start selling cars?

They would probably do better.

I think the CUSA name is tarnished beyond repair at this point.

I agree with the name being mud right now. Just buy the assets and stores and open under TigerDirect.

Just as long as they reopen my local CUSA. I would like to have a store where DIYers can shop when they need it now.

Only TigerDirect would think that absorbing the CompUSA name was a step up.

LET THEM DIE!!!

Seriously, the name is damaged beyond repair. How much longer are people going to flog this dead horse.

/rant from a former CUSA employee.

Congrats to Mr. Fiorentino, best of luck.

Compusa was the only place to find computer parts around here, the mom and pop's are all horrible and wouldn't know an enthusiast from my grandmom. Kinda like computer rumage sales where computers go to die.

CUSA's prices were too high, and they lacked cutting edge motherboards, power supplies, and memory. But when I needed something stupid in a hurry they were the only place to go. And I liked being able to check their inventory online before heading out there.

I'd never bought anything from TigerDirect prior to buying my QX9650 there. They scalped like everyone else, but they were still lower priced than most of their competitors.

Hopefully they will move alot of their bleeding edge inventory into the stores, even if they have to use each store as an internet shipping center to defer costs.

If they have reasonable prices and cutting edge gear I will be happier than a pig in shit. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Are there only 16 stores in operation now or is that just the amount that they will keep open and close down the rest?

Agree. Anyway Tiger Direct was in talks to buy most of the company outright at first but it somehow fell through. After that they were in talks to buy the website but looks like they are picking up some of the busy stores in the process.

Now if only fry's or microcenter would expand more and open up in my area.....

This may still work. If enough people put together that craptacular CompUSA is owned by craptastic TigerDirect, maybe they'll BOTH get flushed away and we'll finally get Fry's or MicroCenter in the NorthEast.

Wow. Why don't they just buy the "Edsel" name and start selling cars?

They would probably do better.

I think the CUSA name is tarnished beyond repair at this point.

The Edsel name was probably too expensive. Edsels are expensive collectors items now.

they are only buying 16 stores, thats not that amazing really when you consider just florida had 56 compusa locations...

anyway i doubt they will be buying any compusa stores down here since we have 2 within 20 mins of each other and they just expanded the one attached to their offices

If somehow the stores act as a physical front for t ewebsite, this could work out very well. CompUSA always had high prices, but if linked to TD, they could be substantially lower. I would have changed the name, however...

Actually, Tiger Direct has at least 1 store that I know of. Its located in Naperville, IL I remember going there and getting the old style Alienware cases for $5 each and picking up about 10 of them

At first it sounded good, but since it is only stores on the S.E it means the ones in Cal are still toast.
Still amazed that San Francisco has no Fry's and only one B.B.

It looks like from now one if I NEED anything I have to take Bart about 45m to get something at Frys (still cheaper than BB)

BTW: as far as the sales go, it appears WED is the markdown day of the week.
Finally matching online prices, just took them to go out of business

Waiting for Enclosures and SATA DVD Burners to drop more than 15%,

I agree that Fry's should have done it. Oh well, at least I'm lucky enough to have a Microcenter around amidst the sea of Best Buy stores here.

I just wish I had something now that was in the east or southeast that was like NewEgg, Zipzoomfly, etc. that I could get stuff quickly without paying for overnight or 2 day.

Since Monarch Computer went out, CUSA was the only thing I could get something quickly that wasn't way overpriced (although some stuff was). Even local mom and pop shop is more expensive than BB.

The only CUSA we had in SC was in my area.

Wow. Lots of haters here.

Tiger's always had great prices and shipped quick for me. Rebate problems? Here's my key to success: avoid them regardless of who's offering them. A deal's not a deal if I have to mail in a rebate. No one's an angel when it comes to rebates. I've even had Comcast try to screw me out of a free after rebate Motorola Surfboard by claiming I didn't include my cable bill with the rebate. :(

I've always like the retail stores because you can get it NOW and only have to pay web-type prices.

Anyhoo... I understand not using the Tiger name anymore. On the outside of a store, it simply doesn't convey that they sell computer parts inside, but I do agree that the name is quite tarnished. MOST people won't know that inside the store is completely different than the CompUSA they knew from the past.

I guess we'll see what happens.

Weird.. can't edit posts here.

It's also good to see that the folks that work in those stores get to keep their jobs and that this move will also create a dozen more jobs at the corporate level. I hope they offer to move some of the folks working in Dallas to work for Systemax. I think it would suck to can everyone at CompUSA corporate just to hire new folks back. :(

Weird.. can't edit posts here.

It's also good to see that the folks that work in those stores get to keep their jobs and that this move will also create a dozen more jobs at the corporate level. I hope they offer to move some of the folks working in Dallas to work for Systemax. I think it would suck to can everyone at CompUSA corporate just to hire new folks back. :(

Seems like corporate was the problem. If I was buying them out, they would all be gone for sure and new people in their place.

Seems like corporate was the problem. If I was buying them out, they would all be gone for sure and new people in their place.

That could very well be true.

My experience in the industry has been that the product managers make the decisions on product selection and pricing and we all know that's two things CompUSA did suck at if not anything else.

I think this is money down the drain.......

In a few years we will see.

i hope they go to the compusa about 15 mins away, only if they offer tigerdirect prices not that shit compusa prices. Although that store was good when u needed a fan or some thermal paste.

i hope they go to the compusa about 15 mins away, only if they offer tigerdirect prices not that shit compusa prices. Although that store was good when u needed a fan or some thermal paste.

Compusa wouldnt have been so bad if it wasnt for the fact that the only way they knew how to put stuff on sale was through MIR.

I wonder where the locations are that will be staying open. God knows my city could really use it.

TD are a bunch of a$$holes and pretty much a gang of thugs in the electronics industry. Should be fun to watch them try and recover CompUSA while big Blue and Yellow puts the clamp even tighter on them ;)

TigerDirect is from Long Island?

That explains the horrible business practices you all are talking about ;) I've been in LI for a few months, and the quality of ALL stores is drastically lower than what I expected back home... it's like nobody in retail on Long Island cares about doing their job, much less a good one.

/rant

Sorry if I offending any Long Islanders, but my time here really hasn't been an awesome one ;)

I don't understand why people disliked CompUSA so much. The one here in Oklahoma City was nice.
1. The staff didn't jump on you to "help," but they were always around if you needed to ask about something.
2. Prices were almost always cheaper than the Bad Buy down the street.

I used to go in there all the time for games and little things I didn't want to order online, like fans and case lights.

I don't understand why people disliked CompUSA so much. The one here in Oklahoma City was nice.
1. The staff didn't jump on you to "help," but they were always around if you needed to ask about something.
2. Prices were almost always cheaper than the Bad Buy down the street.

I used to go in there all the time for games and little things I didn't want to order online, like fans and case lights.

Here the stores had horrible CSRs that knew nothing but always jumped on you, the prices were outrageous compared to online and other B&M stores, and the selection was just pretty much horrid.

I only purchased 1 or 2 things there on deep deep discounts, and it was still just a bit less than online :rolleyes: :p

Back