Silverstone SG04 to debut at CES?

xcrico

Limp Gawd
I was thinking about getting a Micro-ATX case and had searched these forums to see what people had bought and came across the SG03, which I thought would make for a good Micro-ATX case because of its cooling and how much you can mod it. I didn't want to buy something and then get screwed over by an update, so was searching around at the CES website a little less then a month ago and came cross the SG04! Check it out:

http://myces.bdmetrics.com/PDT-25503.../SST-SG04.aspx

I'm glad I waited. Now I just need to wait and see what reviewers say about this case.

All it says is:

"Details:
The SG04 is based off the revolutionary SG03 chassis that pushed SFF cooling performance to new heights."

Sounds like a mini-tower setup like the SG03. Probably made some improvements and upgrades to the SG03 design and calling it the SG04. I hope they put a rear 120mm fan in it. The case design could really use one. Thats probably my biggest gripe about the SG03 design. It needs a rear exhaust fan for improved airflow. Although the SG03 has room to mod a 120mm blow hole and fan in the top back portion.

I hope it's a 80/92/120mm blowhole up top and interchangeable side panels.

I was just about to buy an SG03 like in 2 weeks too.

All it says is:

"Details:
The SG04 is based off the revolutionary SG03 chassis that pushed SFF cooling performance to new heights."

Sounds like a mini-tower setup like the SG03. Probably made some improvements and upgrades to the SG03 design and calling it the SG04. I hope they put a rear 120mm fan in it. The case design could really use one. Thats probably my biggest gripe about the SG03 design. It needs a rear exhaust fan for improved airflow. Although the SG03 has room to mod a 120mm blow hole and fan in the top back portion.
How do you a see a 120mm fan fitting at the back of this case? Maybe if they move the PSU to the front, other than that I don't see how it can be done.

I hope it's a 80/92/120mm blowhole up top and interchangeable side panels.

I was just about to buy an SG03 like in 2 weeks too.

there was a top-rear blowhole in the prototype SG03, but they removed it because it made no thermal difference.

All i want to see in an SG04 is a plain side panel and a stealth drive facia.

How do you a see a 120mm fan fitting at the back of this case? Maybe if they move the PSU to the front, other than that I don't see how it can be done.

Let me clarify what I meant to say. You can mod a blowhole and fan on the top (roof) of the case in the back. Sorry about the confusion. :D Now how could they design a 120mm rear exhaust on the back panel? That would require some case redesigning.

Yes, the SG04 is at CES. Saw it yesterday when I visited SilverStone's booth. I didn't have a nice camera with me, but I did take pictures of it with my Treo. I'll upload the pictures as soon as I can. All I can say is that I'm glad I didn't wait for the SG04. It's basically the same frame / body as the SG03 except that they put a smooth rounded panel in front of the front grill, they added a handle at the top and they have this thing that's supposed to be a stealthed drive bay cover on it. It was really ugly (to me anyway). The insides are exactly the same as the SG03's.

Photo_010708_007.jpg
Photo_010708_008.jpg

Photo_010708_006.jpg

Photo_010708_005.jpg

Photo_010708_004.jpg

The SilverStone employees at CES did say that the SG04 will come in black and silver too.

Omg, that's so fugly! :( That case handle is horrible, imo...

Thx for the pics anyway.

They basically took the SG03, covered up the front grill (the grill still can suck in air through openings on the side of that front piece covering the grill), added a handle and added a stealthed drive bay cover.

Shit. It looks like they grabbed a SG03 and threw some riced up plastic parts on it. :confused:

What the hell is that!

It might be the ugliest case I've ever seen. They've taken poor thermal design and made it worse by removing the mesh front and replacing it with a near solid piece of aluminium. I was expecting an improved airflow configuration, because it's plainly obvious the SG03 needs it. Instead, we get some glued on handle? What a dud.

LOL honestly.

My suggestion to all those who were thinking of getting the SG03 - grab one while stock lasts!

:cool:

BTW since they removed the side panel from that case, I wonder how ugly the side vent is going to be this time. :p

But I guess that case won't be so bad without the handle...

Wow, maybe I should have got an SG03 and never waited. How could they make a case so ugly? I think I might just get an SG03. That power button looks so out of place; I liked it when it was at the top of the case.

Woah! I'll stick with my SG-03 Thank you.

That is one fugly case! They killed it! :eek:

I notice that Silverstone has been re-releasing cases in a different form.... they should stop that and get a little more creative.

I notice that Silverstone has been re-releasing cases in a different form.... they should stop that and get a little more creative.
In a way they were very creative. Do you know any case other with these dimensions that has a round front and a huge-@ss handle? ;)

I dont care for the look of it either. Nice that they added a handle but that plastic body molding doesnt really move me to excitement. I'd rather have the SG03 and use a GearGrip harness. Which I do on mine. At least with the SG03 you can mod a 120mm blowhole fan ontop the case. This SG04 wouldnt allow for that with the handle like that. I dont see the SG03 going out of style anytime soon. Afterall, the SG01 is still around.

The SG04 could still see some changes though before going into actual production. Not too late to rethink their design and try again. I'm guessing people at the CES will have some not so nice comments about the look of the SG04.

it's a decent case, but i'd only buy it if it didn't have that ugly handle on the top :eek:

I literally choked on my spit when I saw the pics :( This thing doesn't scream silverstone by any means, no machined aluminum buttons. Let's hope this case gets forgotten like the SG02.

did anyone notice that.... there running Crossfire in a micro ATX form factor pc.. with a mATX motherboard, maybe theres a crossfire mATX motherboard?

The mobo used is the Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R according to the pic.

I'm not sure how they managed to xfire, hrm :confused:

so wtf.... the motherboard listed only has 1 PCI-E slot, and im sure they don't make X1950's in PCI? as far as i know, i really want to see what motherboard there using.

and yes the case is very ugly, my sights are more towards the mini-P180

Yeah, you can CF on the DS2R if I remember correctly. Its not true CF though. I think it runs at like 4x instead of 8x. Something like that. I think there was a thread on how to do it over at XS somewhere. Been awhile though so memory is a little fuzzy about it.

Dear god that's ugly!

I am a big Silverstone fan, and fully intend to get a Sugo 03 style system.

I was hoping that a stealth drive-bay version would be released before I buy, but i certainly won't be buying an 04.

Sorry SST, it is hideous.

[edit]
to clarify:

the Sugo 03 is a very handsome case with clean lines.

all it needed was an LC16 style stealth drive facia and it would be perfect.

how did we end up with this?
[/edit]

I cast my vote in the hideous pile, case mfrs really need to stop with the big rounded plastic handles on metal cases. Also every piece of the front on it seems to be a different shade of black/grey

The case might have been cool if the entire case was carved out of a Solid Block of Aluminum. Then I'd give it props. But since it isn't, I won't.

did anyone notice that.... there running Crossfire in a micro ATX form factor pc.. with a mATX motherboard, maybe theres a crossfire mATX motherboard?
Good eye! The connector looks like it is in the right place, but I’ll bet that is a new board… The cards would have to be fairly bent it to work in the DS2R and I don't think the connector will reach.

PS. That style of case has been around forever. They just added a handle.

I'll bas on this abomination. Wth was the silverstone design team on when they thought of this?

I'm wondering if they were trying to emulate Alienware or something. Kinda reminds me of a Alienware case with that plastic body molding.

You'd think you guys had never used searches before. :mad:
The G33M has a full x16, and an open-ended x4. It is completely Crossfire capable, as are Asus' P5B-VM (G965) and P5K-VM (G33).

And the case is fugly. Kinda reminds me of a Cylon(sp?).

Back