Survey of 32" 1080p monitors

DanCar

Limp Gawd
July 14 Sceptre at Costco $650.

Sony: KDL-32XBR6, available now, $1,130, 24fps and 120Hz, owners manual, Roadmap!

Toshiba:
32RV530 available now. Street price $810 . Manual, 4 hdmi 1.3 ports, gaming mode, 8ms response time or better, 15,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio, Amazon user comments, AVS forum comments 2 3 4 5

Samsung:
* LN32A550P avail now, $930 (Amazon), 15,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio w/ Wide Color Enhancer, 5ms response time, 3 HDMI, 2 Component, and 1 PC inputs, Swivel Stand
* LN32A650, $1040, 120 Hz.

Sharp 2008:
* LC-32D64U, $956 2 3 retail, avail now, 2x HDMI 1.3 inputs, 2x component and a PC VGA input. Compared to GP1U
* gp3u, $1,140 street, available now, 24fps support, forum discussion
2007:
* d62u, $880
* gp1u, $1,100, included DVI connector

Panasonic: lz800, lzd80, Avail now, $915, gaming mode . TX-32LZD85, 100 MHz motion technology

LG: L70 , ?, unknown price, 20,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio, 120Hz, 24p, Four HDMI 1.3

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I've also been trying to compile info on new 32" 1080p's These are a couple more that I found.

Samsung LN32A550P "The 1080p (1920x1080) resolution 5 series adds touch-sensitive controls on the cabinet, three total HDMI inputs (one on the side), and a side-mounted USB 2.0 port. It includes the 32-inch LN32A550P..." http://ces.cnet.com/8301-13855_1-9841396-67.html

LG L70 Series (possibly the L60 series too, the press release doesn't say if that series is 1080p or not) is going to include a 1080p 32" 120hz, 4 hdmi's etc: http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/news.phtml/12006/13030/lg-lcd-television-ranges-ces.phtml

I'm glad I canceled my order for a Sharp lc32d62u. I don't think the weird staggered pixels would have been very good if I was going to use it for a monitor.

Finally sony is releasing a 1080p 32" incher. though knowing sony it'll probably be $2000 or something ridiculous.

Finally sony is releasing a 1080p 32" incher. though knowing sony it'll probably be $2000 or something ridiculous.
$2K is for next years model with dual hd tuners. ;)
I updated the list with the sharp 32D64U. :)

Wow, that new LG look really slim. Seems like it would cost around the $2000 for a 30" category. Now I'm interest in how the review goes for that model. Dan, you could add a link to the jr.com GP3U for people who do not know about the GP3U review thread.

I added a link to Amazon since it is $25 bucks cheaper. Is that o.k.?

I'm not sure. I know that JR does free shipping and there is no sales tax for me because i'm not from NY. If the other seller does free shipping and no sales tax that would be a good deal.

Waiting for a review of that toshiba and the samsung. im hoping they are all that and a bag of chips

that is too much difference btw canadian price and american price.
we have almost same currency now...

boo...anyway still waiting for getting 32rv530 in canada.
I can't find it yet.

but sharp lc32d64u is available at futureshop for $1199.
Not sure which one to get...

toshiba's 4 hdmi sounds really good to me
compare to 2hdmi+vga's sharp.

Sony's XBR6 will be the most expensive one and then LG's
bcuz they have 120hz support...

Anyway I believe samsung and sharp gp3u will be the decent product with not so high price.
around 1200... (but still no idea about samsung's 32" price...)

Been through 3 large LCDs recently...probably the 4065F Samsung will be a keeper...(though it has an annoying buzz I sometimes hear...)

I'd suggest considering a 40 inch model if at all possible. More to chose from....

And I'd be weary of banding on the Sharp sets, which was a deal breaker for me...

(But in any case, you might have to go through several to end up with one without banding, clouding, dead pixels...quality control on these things is not optimal...)

I think many ppl who try to get FHD 32" are consider it as PC monitor. So am I.
same resolution as 27" (and also 24") and yet bigger size, bigger font (I assume it with dot pixel) and almost same price around $1000 as 27" monitor.

40" is too big for the desk user.

I think many ppl who try to get FHD 32" are consider it as PC monitor. So am I.
same resolution as 27" (and also 24") and yet bigger size, bigger font (I assume it with dot pixel) and almost same price around $1000 as 27" monitor.

40" is too big for the desk user.

Well...I had also thought so, which is why I started with a 32 inch...

But actually, with a fairly modest wood desk, I can still push the 40 inch back far enough. Only issue, is that it is kind of tall...I might replace the stand with another to lower it a bit...

I must confess to knowing almost nothing about Toshiba. Looks like it has nice features...

Does it use a Sharp panel?

One thing to note with Sharps is that text will be clear, but not quite as clear as on a conventional LCD, because of the way Sharp's multi-pixel technology breaks up each pixel into two...

pretty neat. i predict 32" will be the new 22" in 18 months for computer displays. How do I know this? Only because I currently have a 19" 4:3 LCD and my next purchase will be a 32" LCD...in the next 18 months. MARK MY WORDS. MUWAHAHAHAHA.

I'm strongly considering going with a 32" 1080p instead of the 30" LCD I planned to buy with my tax refund. I flip-flop between the two all the time. :p

Come on someone buy and try the toshiba ;)

im tempted to order it and post a review of it. I may just do that. hmmm.

* d62u, $880, available now
* gp1u, $1,100, now, included DVI connector
* LC-32D64U, $1,000 2 3 retail, avail now, 2x HDMI 1.3 inputs, 2x component and a PC VGA input. Compared to GP1U

Thumbs down to all of these and their dynamic color. I don't know if the GP3U has the same problem, but all of the 64Us and the GP1Us do. There's a big thread about it on AVSForum with pics. I purchased a GP1U and saw it myself.

Toshiba, Panasonic, or Samsung imho. I have not owned a Panasonic screen before, but Toshiba and Samsung are great.

Thumbs down to all of these and their dynamic color. I don't know if the GP3U has the same problem, but all of the 64Us and the GP1Us do. There's a big thread about it on AVSForum with pics. I purchased a GP1U and saw it myself.

Toshiba, Panasonic, or Samsung imho. I have not owned a Panasonic screen before, but Toshiba and Samsung are great.

did you even try d64u? I'm not talking about old model d62u.
because d64u is identically the same as gp3u. like d62u and gp1u do.

anyway what's bad thing about them?
tell us your exp.

Dynamic contrast/color can be turned off with GP3U.

Deal killer I had was some banding (a manufacturing defect with my particular sample) that compromised the screen's uniformity in low level dark scenes.

(Much more minor issues were a more limited viewing angle than some LCDs and Sharp's multi-pixel technology, which makes text slightly less defined.)

All that menu option did on mine was turn off the dynamic contrast. Changing the color settings did not turn off the dynamic color saturation.

If they fixed it finally, then that's great and it's a viable display, but it definitely wasn't six months ago.

I'm really close to buying the 32" toshiba. I know it's been out for about a month and the 37" for about two months but I can't find a single review whether it's positive or negative! I need one person or website to say, good tv, and I'll buy it. Did anyone pull the trigger yet?

Do us a favor and be the first to review it. :)
You'll be rewarded with endless trivial questions and requests to take many pictures. haha

Anybody know which of these will pass audio that comes from the HDMI input back out of the toslink output?

I don't have an audio card in my PC right now except for my 2900XTs, if I can pass the audio through HDMI to the monitor and back out to my Z5450s via optical, it would be ideal.

"OWNER'S REPORT"
(2+ months use)
2008 32" Sharp LC-32GP3U.....

How sweet it is !!
Used as a combo "PCMonitor & Gaming Panel".
Resolution: Its always run at "1080P" (1920X1080 rez),

When used as PC Monitor (always 1920x1080 rez) the Text is sharp, crisp, clear. Blacks are excellent. Colors brilliant.
And Gaming in Oblivion on a 32" (all eye-candy turned "on") is much more enjoyable than on my real nice 30" Dell 3007WFP.
Also, I can't agree with the claim: "An extra 2" screen size wont make much diff". I found that it does make a big diff.
Look at it this way: when you upgrade your LCD to a 30" diagonal size, u enter "Big Screen Country". A 30" diagonal gives u a real big screen.
Now, if you increase that 30" diagonal 2" more---- you get a pretty BIG boost in "total screen size". I tested this, using 3 Big Monitors.....
I put the new 32" GP3U between my huge 30" Dell and big 23" HP L2335. Wow, what a surpise I got.
Sitting next to that 32", the 30" looked small and the 23" was freakin' midget !

And on a 32" diagonal screen, I find Gaming is much more "immersive" than on my 30" diagonal. The "gameworld" is significantly bigger.
I see more of everything ..... mountains, battlefields (can track enemys better) and can see more of a city street, and more of a dungeon, etc.
I now agree with guys who say, that for "Hi-rez Gaming & PC Work" a 30" LCD is no longer king (..."the New Kid On The Block is a 32" 1080P").

Also, I have Sharp's "Dynamic Colors" feature turned Off. Result: Colors & Colors shades stay same, in Text & Pics & Scenery (when I change websites, channels, Game-scenes, etc).
Colors, tints, hues, no longer shift if u dont want them to.
(For 2008, Sharp finally heeded the bitching n' moaning of its 2007 customers and made the "D-C" feature "user-controlled").
I luv this Beautiful hi-gloss "Piano-Black" 2008 Sharp 32" LC-32GP3U, its matte screen, its smoothly-swiveling hi-quality frame (it swivels left, right at touch of hand). .... 'nuff said....

One of the things to remember also is that the 30" is going to be 16:10, while the 32" is 16:9. So your 30" screen will have somewhere around 404.5 square inches of area, and the 32" has somewhat less than you'd expect at 437.3 square inches (about 8% larger at best). But the slightly better width (and shorter height of the 32") will make it seem more immersive.

Back