How big is your "windows" folder in vista?

computerpro3

LightningRod
I have ultimate x64 and it's a whopping 26gb with SP1 installed.

I don't really care, but WOW that's massive. I was trying to figure out where space on my raptor was going and there it is.

How bigs yours?

Business x64: 12.4GB standard install with updates (no SP)

I don't know if I'm going to "upgrade" to SP1. I usually don't reinstall Windows, but I'll probably slipstream SP1 info Vista Business x64 and reinstall since I want to upgrade some hardware.

My Vista \windows folder is 16GB, with over 6GB of that taken by the winsxs folder (I have VS and other large side-by-side using applications installed). SP1 probably archives many files if it balloons to 26GB.

OP: I know you're hiding something in there! ;)

Vista Business w/SP1-RC1 is 10.4GB (10.5GB on disk)

WTF, now its saying its 10.3GB. I just double checked and its giving me a different size?

Vista Home Premium 64bit w/ SP1 installed: 16.5GB.

Considering I've got a shitload of games and programs installed, that seems pretty darn good.

Vista 64 Ultimate..16.9 gigs..SP 1
I was seriously running out of room on my Raptor, formated and moved all the programs I could..I know the feeling;)

Vista 64 Ultimate..16.9g..SP1..I was seriously runnin out of room on my Raptor, I know the feeling..Had to format and move all the programs I could.

that's with SP1 installed

hmm .. cant view the second page of this thread to edit my previous post :confused:

[F]old|[H]ard

Wow, those are big Windows folders.

XP Pro 32bit - 2.24GB
Actually considering the size of modern hardrives, 20 or so gigs is small in comparison. Plus I'm sure that a windows 2000 or so folder is even smaller than your Xp one, lol. Plus you cant really compare the size a 6 year old operating system to a modern on, lol.
Mine is 7.63 GB

*Edit*- Oh yea this thread was "How big is your "windows" folder in vista?" NOT Xp or any other operating system.

Vista automagically shadow copies important files. Windows files, files on your desktop, files in your documents folders.

Enable "Show System Files and Folders" and "Show Hidden Files" and you can see these backups.

Vista Home Premium: 8.58GB

Back