3008wfp Review Thread with Pics and Feedback

yoshi9784

Limp Gawd
Yesterday my 3008wfp had arrived. I got a relatively good deal for $1500. I had paid $1400 for the Samsung 244T when it originally came out so this was a great deal for a 30" LCD.

ALL THE PICTURES BELOW ARE A BIT RED BECAUSE OF MY CAMERA. THERE IS ALSO A LOT OF CAMERA NOISE.

In this post are my impressions and pictures of what I thought most people want to see--scaling and color/contrast perfomance. All pictures have not been modified and as a result have plenty of noise.

Screen/Real Estate:
The 3008wfp has a lot of screen space that it takes getting used to if you run one window/application that fills the screen. This is truly a multi-app monitor. Some people like to divide their space by having a second or third monitor with a the monitor bezel, acting as a work space divider, but it is nice to have one large monitor with a large resolution when dealing with games or movies especially.

The screen is definitely more matted like my 244T than say a shiny laptop screen. I actually prefer this type of screen as I don't deal with my eyes switching focus between the displayed image and my own reflection.

Backlight uniformity:
This is a nice panel, but I do see some bleeding. It is not insane, but there is some bleeding on the top left and bottom right of the screen. My Samsung had no noticeable bleeding so I figured that most monitors in this price range have no bleeding. I would have to rate the backlight as OK.

Colors/Performance, Speed, Lag:
I have no prictures that can fully represent response time since my camera takes forever to take a shot, but the response time is decent. I ran Crysis and many other games to look for response time. It is pretty good. I'm not a response time genius or even a lag expert, but I had no problems playing games on any of the inputs.

Colors are great. I have some patterns I want to show you below, but the colors seem bright and somewhat accurate out of the box. I did adjust the RGB a little. The color looked slightly red. I also lowered the green and blue a bit.
Notice how my camera makes these grays appear very red. I want to include this picture, but really the camera messes up how nice it really looks.

Blacks/Whites:
I think the black level is actually pretty darn good. I played Lair on the PS3 and there are some scene in movies and during gameplay that are really dark and you lose detail on a lot of monitors/TVs. I am proud to say that I could make out quite a bit in these scenes. The pictures I took were very blurry so I am not including them.

The whites are bright and I did lower the contrast a bit to make up for it. Otherwise, the whites are good.

Scaling/Inputs/Etc:
I have included several pictures of different content running on the monitors many inputs at different scalings. Scaling aspect-wise and full screen do appear slightly softer, but it really matters what input you are using. For the most part VGA and digital inputs have no really bad scaling issues. But again, they can appear slightly softer if you really look. I didn't see any overscan or underscan issues.

The pictures are not clear. They are meant to give you an idea of how much space they take off or if there is any overscan or underscan.

First up HDMI:

PS3 720p 1:1

PS3 1080p 1:1

PS3 1080p Aspect

PS3 running PS2 game with normal upscaling to 1080p (game set to 16:9 progressive)
The monitor is set to Full scaling

Second S-video:

Dreamcast Aspect scaling

Third Composite:

Dreamcast 1:1
You really don't get it here, but the image was noisy. I don't know if these are the cables, since I never use composite and the cables are cheap knock-offs.

Fourth VGA:

Dreamcast through Blaze VGA adapter (runs 640x480) very crisp Aspect scaling

Dreamcast 1:1

These are my impressions: I like the monitor; sorry the pictures turned out horrible; backlight issue is sad, but I guess this is still normal with LCDs; monitor started out a little red and I adjusted the RGB; monitor started out a little bright so I adjusted the contrast. It also seems as if there is no individual input memory, which is upsetting. Sorry, I don't have a displayport graphics card. If you want me to run something or take some pictures (maybe with a steady hand this time), just ask.

Thanks for an excelent review and pictures. Everything looks great except the backlight bleeding. It is bad enough to return the pannel IMO.

Thanks and good job.

Dave

Backlight uniformity:
This is a nice panel, but I do see some bleeding. It is not insane, but there is some bleeding on the top left and bottom right of the screen. My Samsung had no noticeable bleeding so I figured that most monitors in this price range have no bleeding. I would have to rate the backlight as OK.

What setting did you put the monitor into to take the back light picture. Let me know and I will try to take one here for comparison in the evening when it gets darker.

Not sure under what setting you too the pic, but here is what mine looks likes. My desktop background is set to black and brightness is set to lowest level

IMG_2233.jpg

Not sure under what setting you too the pic, but here is what mine looks likes. My desktop background is set to black and brightness is set to lowest level

That looks much better. I still see some bleeding in the topleft and bottom right corners. Is that how it looks in person, or all four corners about the same?

I thought the OP's pannel looked defective from the get go.

Thanks

Dave

That looks much better. I still see some bleeding in the topleft and bottom right corners. Is that how it looks in person, or all four corners about the same?

Yes, thats how it looks in person if I were to turn off all the lights in the room. When lights are on I can still see some bleeding in the upper left corner, but can't see any Bottom right corner bleeding.

Returning a monitor that size is a HUGE pain and I'd be worried that I might get one with dead pixels (which is FAR worse IMO)
Actually, it's very easy with Dell. You can do it all online or over the phone. They'll send the replacement and you simply pack your defective LCD in the same box. The box will have a pre-paid return label. Call whichever shipper is on the label to arrange a pick up. The whole process won't cost you anything.

RETURN BOTH IMMEDIATELY

I would not use either one of those monitors with such backlight bleeding especially for the price they cost considering my $450 Samsung 245bw TN PANEL has a perfect back light

I person.. the back light bleeding may not be that bad... The appearence may be intensified with a slow shutter speed

I person.. the back light bleeding may not be that bad... The appearence may be intensified with a slow shutter speed

Most sensible comment about backlight bleed in this thread!!

These guys are taking pictures in darkness, the shutter speed is going to be slowed down and will exaggerate the effect.

Does it look ok to the eye in darkness? If so, and you're comfortable with it then thats cool. If you personally are unhappy...then return it.

RETURN BOTH IMMEDIATELY

I would not use either one of those monitors with such backlight bleeding especially for the price they cost considering my $450 Samsung 245bw TN PANEL has a perfect back light

Dont get one then ;)

RETURN BOTH IMMEDIATELY

shut the fuck up already. nobody cares about your TN crusade. you're trolling these boards with giant all caps messages like this

So again, another expensive monitor that still cant handle the lowliest types of signals - NTSC/480i/p

As you can see from the composite input. It produces a 3:2 aspect image. Yet it's meant to be displayed at 4:3 or 16:9 to match tv aspect.

Distorted, and you cant do anything about it.

Man that pisses me off.

So again, another expensive monitor that still cant handle the lowliest types of signals - NTSC/480i/p

As you can see from the composite input. It produces a 3:2 aspect image. Yet it's meant to be displayed at 4:3 or 16:9 to match tv aspect.

Distorted, and you cant do anything about it.

Man that pisses me off.

This week I will test a composite input on my XHD3000. Maybe it will get it correct, it got a 480i DVD correct on S-video.

The bleeding is pretty bad, but I would much rather have that over a dead/stuck pixel. Bleeding is only noticeable in the dark for me, dead/stuck pixels bother the crap out of me.

What setting did you put the monitor into to take the back light picture. Let me know and I will try to take one here for comparison in the evening when it gets darker.

The Brightness is locked at 75 and Contrast is 42. I keep the DDC/CI enabled.

The Brightness is locked at 75 and Contrast is 42. I keep the DDC/CI enabled.

Here is what mine looks like at those settings

IMG_2255.jpg

After uploading the picture into the computer, I looked at both the picture and monitor at the settings that you specified and it appeared that the backlight leakage in the picture is exaggerated as compared to the real monitor. Plus, my camera is probably different than yours as well. I am starting to think given the angles and camera this is a highly subjective test.

bumping this thread, has anyone else gotten oen of these monitors? I'm looking to buy one next month to use as my primary work monitor (with a 24" dell next to it) and for my xbox.

my big question is, how's the 1080p over the component inputs on this monitor?

shut the fuck up already. nobody cares about your TN crusade. you're trolling these boards with giant all caps messages like this

Why so harsh? He said some truth. $1,4K monitor deserves some more.

that wasn't the part i was harping on, everyone else who's been here for a while knows what im talking about

Back