weird "problem" with gateway xhd3000

nation

n00b
I recently bought the 30" monitor from Gateway. I couldn't be happier with it, it's the perfect monitor.

However, I've noticed one weird thing about it. It's not so much a problem, but I'm worried it could be an indicator of a problem. Every once in awhile, the monitor will turn off and flicker back on immediately. It's off for no more than 1 second. It doesn't have the startup screen with the sound or anything, it's just like a very quick flicker. This has happened maybe 3 times in the month I've had it. I use the monitor basically every day.

Has anyone had this happen to them with this or any other monitor? I would really hate for this to be a problem as I ordered this online from best buy and didn't keep my receipt. It would be a huge hassle. Thoughts?

Thanks,

nation

If you did research you would know its a common problem on that monitor. Throwing away a receipt on a $1600 purchase is never good. I would exchange it if i could though;)

Contact BestBuy; they should have some record of it; but as mentioned above, throwing away your reciept was a bad idea. BestBuy's customer service is very good. I got back every cent including the shipping when I returned mine.

Dave

so is this a problem that is going to compound and become worse? or is this just something that happens that's not a big deal?

truthfully, it doesn't affect any of my usage now, i'm just worried it'll eventually happen more and more and be indicative of failure of the product. should i just try to exchange it now?

so is this a problem that is going to compound and become worse? or is this just something that happens that's not a big deal?

truthfully, it doesn't affect any of my usage now, i'm just worried it'll eventually happen more and more and be indicative of failure of the product. should i just try to exchange it now?

Who knows, but when spending that kind of money on a monitor, you shouldn't have to deal with it turning on and off even if its for a split sec. Do your best to get an exchange asap

Who knows, but when spending that kind of money on a monitor, you shouldn't have to deal with it turning on and off even if its for a split sec. Do your best to get an exchange asap

I would return it for a refund. It sounds like a design flaw leading to marginal DVI signal integrity. Until Gateway fixes this signal integrity problem, what's the point of an exchange?

From doing research, it appears most likely that all XHD3000's are affected by this issue. Mine has done it since day one but the frequency has not increased over time. It does it maybe once a night. Taking into consideration that besides this issue the monitor is perfect and there is no screen flaws, that I could exchange it and get another one with the same problem and/or have dead/stuck pixels and that the shipping both ways would be a nightmare here in Iraq, I have decided to live with it.

Some other things I have noticeed about the problem: It only happens when using DVI and the sound also "cuts" out for a second when the screen goes black. The issue does not happen with my PS3 over HDMI or my 360 over component. If for some reason in the future the frequency of the blackouts did increase, I still have a warranty.

Thanks for the replies. I think for now I'm going to keep it as it is not a problem that affects my work and seems to be common with this monitor. It doesn't really bother me; I'm just afraid it might be indicative of future problems. Other than this, the monitor is perfect and suits my needs so I'm going to stick with it. Thanks for the help.

-nation

Back