Early Geforce 9600 benches and reviews

cool lets take a look and see how good this card is.

edit: it doesnt look great at all. a 8800GT IS MUCH BETTER. MAYBE IF THE PRICE OF THIS CARD IS UNDER £100 THEN IT WILL BE A DECENT PURCHASE BUT ANYTHING HIGHER IS NO POINT BECAUSE A gt IS BETTER AND IS ONLY £140.

cool lets take a look and see how good this card is.

edit: it doesnt look great at all. a 8800GT IS MUCH BETTER. MAYBE IF THE PRICE OF THIS CARD IS UNDER £100 THEN IT WILL BE A DECENT PURCHASE BUT ANYTHING HIGHER IS NO POINT BECAUSE A gt IS BETTER AND IS ONLY £140.

The 9600GT is supposed to retail for $169 USD, its not supposed to replace the 8800GT and is meant to be a budget performance card.

I think its quite good for the price, especially considering back in the day I paid way more than that for the good ol GF2MX which was vastly inferior to the standard GeForce range. It looks like the 9600GT can actually play modern games decently, which I think is very much a first for a card of that price.

The 9600GT is supposed to retail for $169 USD, its not supposed to replace the 8800GT and is meant to be a budget performance card.

I think its quite good for the price, especially considering back in the day I paid way more than that for the good ol GF2MX which was vastly inferior to the standard GeForce range. It looks like the 9600GT can actually play modern games decently, which I think is very much a first for a card of that price.

yea one thing i got to pay credit to nvidia is that there low/mid range cards are bloody awsome for bang for buck cards. like many have mentioned before, anything lower then a 8800 series cards totaly sucked in every way. now we are getting cheap ass cards that can play most games in high at decent fps rates. lets see what the ultra replacement price will be. if its less then £300 then could this mean that gfx card components are becoming cheap now? gfx cards tend to be the most expensive component on a decent gaming rig so its good that prices are falling and that there are cheaper alternatives

I thought the 8800GS was going to slot in there. Speaking of which what happened to that card. I haven't seen much on it recently, did they kill it off before it got out of the gate?

Nothing wrong with this card at all. It's a good replacement, if not shockingly better, for the 320MB version of the old 8800.

I thought the 8800GS was going to slot in there. Speaking of which what happened to that card. I haven't seen much on it recently, did they kill it off before it got out of the gate?
It was only temporary solution. There was never meant to be more than 100000 8800 GS cards manufactured..

We have enough budget cards. Nvidia needs to stop releasing crap.

February 14th (valentine's day). And the 9600gt is comparable to the 3850 512mb, so it is not "crap."

Wow, looks like a damn good gaming budget card. ATi might have lost their crown with the 3850 depending on how this is priced: if the 9600GT is $170, then its a close price/performance call. Good info though, thanks OP :D.

Yes, this card is in the same tradition as the 6600 GT and 7600 GT, both solid midrange performance cards at $199. Here the midrange FINALLY makes the jump to a 256-bit bus, and the introductory price drops (largely thanks to ATI, who FOR ONCE decided to release a product that competed on price). I'd say good for everyone, the average selling price of performance cards has been too high for far too long.

That D9M GPU that 9600 GT uses is huge! 240mm^2! That's 25% larger than RV670 or 42% larger than G84 which is supposed to be replaced. Not to mention AMD's RV635: 120mm^2 ..and now think that 9500 GT is said to sport D9M chip. So perhaps these D9M GPU's aren't that cheap to make compared to AMD's?

G92 (754M transistors, 324mm^2)
G80 (681M transistors, 484mm^2)

Back