Lenovo L220x Review

exspes

n00b
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum, but I recently got a L220x monitor and since there was no in depth review on the site I wanted to post one of my own. Ask any further questions if anything's unclear!

Physical Build:
The L220x resides on a sturdy stand. It doesn’t wobble or make you feel as if it’s going to tip over with the slightest bump. On the flipside, the stand isn’t the most economical one in terms of desk space. If you have the monitor raised you could probably recover some of that space since the bottom of the stand is wide and flat. The stand raises, tilts, and rotates, smoothly and without nasty creaking.
IMG_9540.jpg

The cable management system is tidy. It takes a few minutes to set it up and loop all the cables through their holes. Lenovo gives you a spiral cable organizer to twist around the bundle of cables and keep it looking as one. All in all a clean look in the back.
IMG_9513.jpg

The monitor isn’t winning design awards, but it’s not sore on the eyes. Like most things of the Think line it’s function over form. In this case you’re supposed to be looking at the monitor, and the bezel does nothing to distract you from that. The front LED is just bright enough to see, but not bright enough to distract. Same goes for the front control buttons which you shouldn’t even notice in your peripheral vision.
IMG_9526.jpg

Monitor Quality
This monitor is the only one that I’m aware of that sports a 1920x1200 resolution on 22”. It uses an S-PVA panel, and claims to have a 92% color gamut. This makes the monitor a viable choice for those who wish to work with graphics applications.
One of the biggest worries is this monitor’s DPI. Right now it sits somewhere around 106 dots per inch. I know that the size of text has not been an issue for me. The rule of thumb is if you’re comfortable working with a high resolution display laptop, you will be more than comfortable with this monitor.
IMG_9520.jpg

The higher DPI is a blessing for image quality as well. Smaller dots usually mean sharper images. Running some H264 trailers on this monitor proved how much of a difference it can make. I can honestly say that HD trailers have never looked so good or so crisp. If you are a PC-centric video watcher, I would recommend this monitor highly.
Colors are bright and vivid. Unfortunately, they can be too bright and vivid. I did not use any monitor calibration hardware with this display, so I can’t speak to how well it calibrates. I did set it into sRGB mode, which made everything slightly more accurate. Red and green tend to over-saturate in places. I heard that is due to a 92% color gamut. I don’t find this a problem on photo and video. Nothing looks unnaturally green or red, and neither color spills into other ranges. The only place where this is evident (and annoying) is on the web, where certain shades of green and red tend to make colors seem very neon and bright.
The screen lacks 1:1 pixel mapping, which can be a dealbreaker for many. If you are planning to hook this monitor up to your computer and run at native resolution, you will be very happy. If you’re looking to hook in gaming consoles, HD players, etc, you might not be overjoyed with the results.
IMG_9545.jpg

As far as connectivity, the L220x offers 1 VGA, 1 DVI, and a 4port USB hub (1 in, 4 out). The usb ports are located on the left and bottom left sides of the screen, while VGA and DVI are on the back.
IMG_9549.jpg

On screen display is quick and responsive, and the buttons are ergonomically friendly. A slight downward curve in each button means your finger will fall to its center and press the button you actually want to press.
Moreover Lenovo provides a control panel software for Windows that can handle adjusting all the values you usually find in the OSD from software. This can be faster and easier especially if you’re tweaking color. The same software automatically rotates your screen when it is physically rotated.
IMG_9547.jpg

Conclusion
This is a solid monitor to be used as a monitor and not as a small TV hooked up to your various media devices. For my taste, the high DPI is worth it – images and videos look crisper than on any screen I’ve seen before. Colors feel great, except for certain web pages (this may be possible to resolve with proper calibration). The build is sturdy, and, while plain, it’s functional. At going price of around $500 this is a great 1920x1200 monitor for anyone who wants a good image without breaking the bank.

thanks for the review

if you have a crt, you can try to measure input lag perhaps?

Red and green tend to over-saturate in places. I heard that is due to a 92% color gamut.
Yep, wider gamut means display can produce more clearer/purer basic colours. Here's very good, easy to understand explanation of this gamut thing:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/lcd-testmethods_2.html
Colors feel great, except for certain web pages (this may be possible to resolve with proper calibration).
Probably nothing to do with display because it just displays basic colours as brighter and some webpages use colours which look horrible no matter what display you have. (certain colours and combinations shouldn't be used)

Considering features it also lacks fixed aspect ratio scaling so if anyone is wanting that it might be another important thing... Nvidia cards can do scaling but ATi seems to still struggle to implement that feature.

One user here in Finland measured input lag to vary from 15ms to 47ms with average of ~29ms (only three of 18 measures above 32ms) which is on better end of VAs.
Availability just is bad in here so I might have to wait longer than to next week before I can get one, hoping Samsung 959NF CRT holds together until that, and use price gap to better non-TN 24" displays for getting 8800GTS 512.
(Dell 2408WFP is surely interesting but when I asked Dell release in here wasn't promised even for the end of next month and holding of US release doesn't promise good)

thanks for the review

Unfortunately the last CRT I had died a few years back and resides in the nethers of my house. Would it work if I test it against another LCD whose response time has been recorded already? At least for an estimate.

I'm unfortunately running this display off of my laptop until my MacPro arrives so I have limited options.

How ist he gaming and video performance on this monitor? Ghosting and and blurrs etc..

This monitor is out of stock everywhere!

I'm really interested in this monitor, but kind of worried about the DPI.

Would you be able to take a picture of the start button in windows or some text written in notepad (default fonts, etc) and hold a penny next to it? This may sound weird but I think it'll give me (us) a good idea of what 1920x1200 looks like on a 22" screen.

Right now I'm using a Thinkpad T60 with the 14.1" 1440x1050 screen as well as a Dell 2001fp at 1600x1200 and I like it a lot.

Riley

How ist he gaming and video performance on this monitor? Ghosting and and blurrs etc..

This monitor is out of stock everywhere!

New batches should be out pretty soon, maybe even in a week or two. I called a couple of places (superwarehouse.com, couple others) and they said they were getting new shipments on the 31st.

Right now I'm using a Thinkpad T60 with the 14.1" 1440x1050 screen
If you don't have bigger problems with that (or most laptop screens) you shouldn't have any problems with DPI of L220x. Pixel pitch (official term for pixel size) of L220x is considerably higher than in that laptop.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_pitch
While that page doesn't have values for every display size/resolution combination estimating missing values should be easy.

Some Finnish gamers who managed to get one when these were in stock have played COD4 without any problems.

I myself put order in five hours ago... some shops said more of these are coming to importer in 12th day of next month, and some that there's one batch coming two days from now and there's supposed to be one unreserved monitor in that batch. I guess Samsung 959NF I currently have could hold it together to that later day now when it hasn't developed bigger failure signs in last ten days. (probably it now blows up when I press power button next time :p)

Would you be able to take a picture of the start button in windows or some text written in notepad (default fonts, etc) and hold a penny next to it? This may sound weird but I think it'll give me (us) a good idea of what 1920x1200 looks like on a 22" screen.

Right now I'm using a Thinkpad T60 with the 14.1" 1440x1050 screen as well as a Dell 2001fp at 1600x1200 and I like it a lot.

Riley

Here's a picture with a dime, not a penny. Couldn't find a penny, hah.

dimecomparison.jpg

I am right now on a Thinkpad T41. I have 1440x1050 at 15". The thinkpad's pixel density is higher than the L220x. So, if you're used to a 1440x1050, this monitor will feel like it's got huuge jumbo letters for ya ;)

Firstly, thanks exspes for the review. Ive been in the market for the best 22" LCD I could find (22 inchers are the biggest I can fit on my desk) that wouldn't completely destroy my bank account.

You state that this is an S-PVA panel. All over this forum is posts that say in the 22 inch market, they are all TN based panels. Has this changed?

I want to reconfirm this because TNs generally have a listed angle of 160/160 but I cant find a viewing angle listing for this model. Its predecessor, the D221 listed 176/176 which would indicate S-PVA as well. However, some stores have the L220x listed as 160/160 which confuses me.

Anyway, Im coming from an old 19" CRT (Mitsubishi 930SB). I do a lot of photo editing and will be presenting photos on this display in a professional environment (point of sale situations). Ill also be doing a good deal of gaming as well (in which case Im gonna need one of those 3870X2s to really take advantage of the resolution here). Is this monitor the best choice in the 22" range for what I intend here? It would seem it is, but I had to ask.

Thanks

-DeathCom

This Lenovo isn't only 22" non-TN display.
There's one other S-PVA panel display from Eizo with standard 1680x1050 resolution... "wiping rear" with TN panels in this test:
http://www.prad.de/en/news/shownews_tft1310.html

But it's quite surely only and first 1920x1200 resolution 22" display until now.
Product page itself tells viewing angle in other form:
http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/cg...=897/ENUS107-646&appname=lenovous&language=en
Here's some reviews:
http://www.computerworld.com/action...ewArticleBasic&articleId=9056059&pageNumber=2
http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=Thinkvision&thread.id=2
I've heard professionals liking Lenovo also from other sources than that.
And considering photo editing needs lot of space I would keep L220x's higher resolution as much better. (1200 vertical minimum here after using it six years with now failing 19" CRT)

I just want to double check on the 1:1 pixel mapping issue to make sure that it doesn't concern me.

I will be using the L220X as a PC monitor only. I haven't played a PC game in well over a year, but just in case I want to try a game someday: say I am playing at a resolution of 1024x768 (or an other 4:3 res) I can still force 1:1 mapping thru GFX card drivers, right? Result will be 4 black bars on all sides (2 bars on the sides for 1600X1200)? :confused:

I had been eying this for a while and waiting for more reivews, but I was ordering a Lenovo notebook earlier today and noticed I can add the L220X as an accessory for $383 before tax and with free shipping (although they mention 4 weeks wait)! I think it's too good to pass. And I need to order soon because the sale that Lenovo has on notebooks ends on the 4th.

Thanx in advance

The monitor can't do 1:1 mapping with black bars by itself. As far as I know, I can't find an option in my ATI control panel to do that through graphics drivers. But I did hear that Nvidia cards CAN do this through the driver.

I would say you should research the capability of whatever video chipset is in your computer to see if this is an issue for you.

I'm actually getting the L220X for a new build. And I was tending towards nvidia's 8600GT anyway cause it's pretty cheap and more than enough for a non gamer. Plus it comes in a small package and consumes less power than ATI's equivalent, which should come in handy for a uATX SFF build.

I tried googling the issue. It's a bit hard to judge because different posts are from different dates and with different driver versions (for both ATI & nvidia). But from first look it seems like nvidia drivers at least have the options for scaling, whether they work as intended or not is a completely different issue :p.

If anyone can chime in on the 8600GT and its drivers with relation to the whole 1:1 mapping issue I would be more than grateful.

I guess I'm gonna order the L220X anyway, its not like the probability of me playing a game anytime soon is that high!

Well, also consider that with an 8800gt, you will probably be able to run most of your games at 1920x1200 anyway ;)

If anyone can chime in on the 8600GT and its drivers with relation to the whole 1:1 mapping issue I would be more than grateful.

Change Flat Panel Scaling
- Use Nvidia Scaling - The scaling unit on your graphics card will rescale the image before it reaches your monitor. If you have a relatively normal middle-to-low end monitor, this option results in the best image quality and is the one most recommended.
- Use Nvidia Scaling with fixed-aspect Ratio - This option will maintain the original aspect ratio of the chosen resolution and display it with black bars to the sides/above/below the on-screen image as required.
- Use my display's built-in scaling - If you have a high-end monitor, try this form of scaling to see if it improves things. Otherwise usually the scalers in monitors are not as good as those on high end graphics hardware.
- Do not scale - The image isn't scaled at all, but instead your monitor will run at its maximum resolution and the image will display in the center of your monitor. This may result in a black border around the sides of the image.

http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_7.html

Ati doesn't have fixed aspect ratio scaling option and basing to posts in various forums apparently also rest are barely working jerry-rigs.
http://www.tweakguides.com/ATICAT_7.html

Nvidia cards can do this through their drivers...1:1 gives smaller resolutions black bars on all sides. You also have the option of a fixed-aspect-ratio stretch, in which case the smaller image gets stretched to fit the screen vertically, with black bars on either side.

In the latter mode you could run 1024x768, still have it fill the screen vertically, and still keep the proper 4:3 aspect ratio with black bars on either side of the blown-up image.

@E.T, Thanks for the info.

@expes New question on the scaling of this monitor. Since it lacks 1:1, and we don't know if there would ever be a firmware update to allow this, how well does it scale lesser resolutions? Your review said if we are looking for 1:1 we wont be happy, but is that because we have no choice but to stretch, or because its scaling quality is crap? Ive seen an Asus 22" scale a 1080p image and it was just stretched, but otherwise decent. But then Ive seen a 22" Hanns G scale that same image and it looked like garbage.

Well, I wouldn't say stretching is complete garbage, but it is stretching. Think of it like zooming into a Jpeg (just without compression artifacts). The best word I have for it is "blurry"

For computing, text, and whatnot, it's just not good enough. For gaming, I think it'll be fine. As with most games being run fullscreen at lower resolutions, the only thing you'll see is your menu text being all blurry.

Caveat: I am running right now through a VGA cable - I will post my experiences running this monitor via DVI as soon as my new computer arrives.

I finally installed my L220x and am already having some issues that perhaps someone could shed some light on.

1. My DVI connection will not happen. Only the VGA input works. My computer technician that just put together my new CPU said that the new graphics card worked at his office. He will come back next week to try a new card. All we get when we try switching inputs is "power saving mode" screen message.

2. None of the USB ports on the monitor seem to work. I tried installing my colour calibrator (Huey Pro) and had to plug into my CPU USB.

3. I cannot seem to adjust my monitor with the Huey. The steps it asks me to do to set the white and black points are seemingly unachievable.

I did try calling Lenovo but it seems like unless you are positive that it is a warranty issue, they cannot offer any tech support.
My monitor menu was locked. I called asking how to unlock and Lenovo had no clue. The info they had on the monitor is what I received with the monitor. No help there. All my Apple friends are laughing at the lack of tech support.

Anyway, if anyone's menu is locked, just hold down the menu button for a minimum of 5 seconds and it will unlock (same thing to lock it I guess - no idea how I locked it and I am not about to try).

Anyway, any idea with the DVI and USB issues? Do folks think I need to return it?
Also, need more tips for calibrating... I am getting a headache... it is still much too bright.

I do a lot of browsing on the internet..... the only thing holding me back from possibly purchasing this monitor is the high DPI.

Does the text seem pretty miniscule and eye straining over long periods of reading?

I am building a silent pc, and I am considering to buy this display. Could anyone tell me, whether this display emits an annoying, high pitched noise like my old crt monitor does? (They say it's inverter noise or what, and I heared that Samsung 226bw does this sometimes)

This monitor looks an interesting choice. TN panels are pretty low end so it's good to see some alternatives.

One of my pet peevs is backlight bleeding, how is the backlight uniformity on this screen?

I had a faulty graphics card so the DVI now works and I forgot to attach the USB cable so the ports are working fine.

I have no problems with backlighting leaking through.

The big problem is the colour calibration. Not a good monitor if you need colour accuracy for print-related graphics design work - at least that is my opinion.

I have spent many days playing around with things and am still unhappy with how things look on the monitor - again - for print-related graphics work only.

I had a faulty graphics card so the DVI now works and I forgot to attach the USB cable so the ports are working fine.

I have no problems with backlighting leaking through.

The big problem is the colour calibration. Not a good monitor if you need colour accuracy for print-related graphics design work - at least that is my opinion.

I have spent many days playing around with things and am still unhappy with how things look on the monitor - again - for print-related graphics work only.

I am sorry without proper hardware calliberation you will never be happy. Seeing your post that you don't even KNOW how to properly setup your monitor, you have no place to say that this monitor is not accurate in colors.

The DPI has never been a problem for me, neither has the anti-glare coating.

Since this is a PVA model, it suffers quality loss at angles. The quality is not a change of color, but a very slight lightening of the picture. If you're looking at it from a steep angle and the screen is showing a dark image, you can also see light bleed patterns.

Both problems only occur at angles beyond normal head bobbing - from straight on, this monitor looks as good if not better than an IPS one.

Even from an angle it looks great - simply not ideal.

I was looking at getting this monitor and but lately the specs say 160h/160v viewing angles which usually is a tn panel. I thought it was pva.:(

Its not even listed on their site anymore. I have a feeling we won't be seeing this monitor much longer. Not that we ever did to begin with.

the monitor is a PVA. The 160/160 is all errors. Lenovo never changed the panel to TN and david hill from lenovo also confirmed that it is still and always a PVA

Am I being nit-picky or does my second-hand bought Lenovo ThinkVision L220x have the infamous pixel shadow defect?

The monitor still has one year warranty left. I live in Finland, if that matters to anyone, concerning the warranty. Lenovo's warranty check says this: "This product has a three year limited warranty and is entitled to Rapid Replacement repair service in selected countries. Where Rapid Replacement repair service is not available, mail-in or carry-in repair service will be provided."

My question is: Would someone have experience in dealing with Lenovo about this problem. Do they recognize this as a problem and exchange the monitor to a working specimen. What can I hope for / do about this, how should I explain it to Lenovo?

Links pertaining to this problem, if someone doesn't already know of it:

Back