GA-P35-DS3R - Problem with Front USB Headers

nagle

n00b
Here's the deal:

My computer starts up just fine, I can use it for as long as I'd like. In fact, it will run fine for days or weeks, but as soon as I touch the front panel USB ports with a USB cable (no device attached) something stops responding.

I have tried switching to different USB headers, but each time something else goes wrong. With front USB header #1, my monitor would lose signal. With front USB header #4, my JMicron controller quits on me and some disks disappear along with onboard NIC.

I have NOT disassembled the system completely to test yet, and I would LOVE to avoid doing so, but I am open to all ideas. From the looks of things I have faulty USB ports on the front of the case, but a quick inspection shows no visible signs of a problem. For the time being, I have disconnected the front panel headers without issue, but I'd like to get this working!

Thanks in advance for any input!

So I gave in and disassembled the computer to test the setup outside of the case. It appeared to be working fine. I took the USB ports off of my case and tested them with the setup outside the case, and all seemed to be working. Nothing was randomly disappearing as it would with the components inside (see the post above).

So I cleaned up the case really good, went through and re-did all of my cabling. I tried to pay close attention as I reassembled the computer, but sure enough the same symptoms returned as soon as it was all back together.

I'm unclear as to what my next step is in solving this problem. What should I do now?

Thanks again for any help.

I have built several systems around the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L and this problem has just made itself noticed on 2 of those systems, maybe more (I haven't heard on the others).

Here's the symptom - Computer is up and running, for hours or days, completely normal. But sometimes when going to use the front USB ports on the case front, just as the USB device touches the USB port, the display goes blank and indicates "no signal", AND cannot shut down the computer with keyboard AND no HD activity at all. The only solution is to HARD BOOT.

Now, the two systems this is happening to, have only the MB and memory in common. The memory being used is SuperTalent DDR2-800 2GB chips. All other components are different (case/CPU/video/DVD-rw/HD/even OS... one has XP-64bit, the other is XP-32bit). Both systems are completely updated with current drivers and OS software updates. I am stumped on this too.

I did post to Gigabyte's tech support help email... Maybe you should too?

Any chance you have a motherboard standoff post shorting? Or possibly the usb header connector is reversed on the pins? Weird stuff going on, I was about to buy a DS3R and either an E8400 or E8500 but might have to reconsider if this is a common problem with these boards.

I had that problem on an MSI board a couple years ago. Turned out to be the front USB ports on my case were shorting to a screw that was holding them in place. As soon as a cable would touch the port my machine would lock up, reboot, lose video or windows would BSOD. a little electrical tape fixed it.

Can't say I've had a similar problem with my DS3R in the same case. I wouldn't knock the board, this is the first time I've heard of this happening and I did a lot of research before buying my DS3R a few weeks ago.

RE: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L front USB problems

Not likely a USB header or wiring, as the front USB ports use a keyed block connector. As for the thought that maybe a MB standoff was shorting out - I guess that's possible, but that would be a defect in design (which isn't likely, considering Gigabytes reputation). And doesn't make sense to me,becuase the systems are completely stable until a user interacts with a front USB port (note: Off board).

Is it possible the front USB ports are not properly grounded to the case chassis? And would that cause the problem? This has happened on 3 systems in this forum (2 from me and 1 from the original post), all use different cases... although 2 are Antec cases. As I write this, the question arises - Aren't the external USB ports grounded to the MB thru the wiring anyway? I believe they are. Someone please correct me if that's not right.

I just built another system using the GA-EP35-DS3R, running Raid1, E8400 (easy overclock to 3750ghz) and Vista 64-bit, in the same Antec case. So far no front USB problems.

Overall the Gigabyte products are excellent, I've purchased more than 15 units in the last 2 months and this is the only oddity. Still, I would like to get it fixed... WAIT, I just had a thought, I will try to connect to a different USB header on the MB - maybe that will help?
I'll post the results as they become apparent.

HydroBudz - Thanks for sharing. Could you clarify. Are you saying the USB ports and sheilding should be insulated from the case? To clarify... when you say shorting out, in what way? I will look into this, but would like to be armed with more info before shutting down to check. AND again, I am challenged with the fact that it's happened on 3 different cases (2 antec, 1 coolermaster).

what antec case were u using my 900 had a shorted usb front panle header that drove me nuts

Looks like the original post was using a Antec P180B, one of the builds I did used a Antec 4480. What symptoms did your front panel header cause?

Since my original posts, I went and bought some of the motherboard paper washer things thinking I'd give those a shot, but no luck. That seems to indicate that if there IS an issue with grounding the motherboard correctly, it originates behind the motherboard or near the I/O shield. Considering all the information we have so far, does that make sense, or could it be originating some other place?

Another question, which I'm sure we've all heard before. Is it necessary to have ALL of the holes on the motherboard secured to standoffs? The Antec P180 doesn't seem to have a standoff (or a place to install one) for the hole on the right-hand side of the board near the memory slots.

Here's a picture. Green ones are secured, pink ONE is not.

I emailed Gigabyte support. They would like me to send my Front panel USB assembly to them to see if they can duplicate the error. I will do that if they will assure to send it back afterwards. I might also contact ANTEC for a replacement panel (in case it's somehow defective).

An update:

The board finally failed permanently (it seems) last week. I tried to add in my ATI 550 TV tuner card, and upon plugging in and starting the system all I got was all fans at 100%, no POST screen. I tried a minimal boot (one stick of RAM, one hd, etc) and clearing the CMOS, but no luck after several attempts.

I'm not sure that I've mentioned it yet, but aside from not being able to use the front USB headers, I also could not use all 4 DIMMs for my RAM, could not use the PCI slots apparently, and was having cold boot issues.

I bought an ASUS P5K-E to replace the board and it works great! I am thinking about RMA'ing the Gigabyte board, but I'm not sure if it's worth the price to ship it.

As an update to my situation - Gigabyte did offer to try to duplicate the problem using my front USB header. But I have not yet sent it to them, because they wouldn't assure its return to me after completion of their testing. I have had a couple more incidents, but it seems if I have a device plugged in the the front, all is fine. I just don't have the time to screw with it.

If you are NOT going to RMA the board, I would like to have it and would pay the shipping. I want to attempt to stuff one of those boards into a Dell case that I have here. I just don't want to use a good board to do it (lots of in and out while doing the mods).

Thanks, Steve... [email protected]

For what it's worth, I have the GA-EP35-DS3R and E8400 overclocked to 4GHz in an Antec Sonata III case and the front USB ports work great.

My previous build was an Abit A8V in the original Antec Sonata case and I could never get the front USB ports to work properly but they seem to have corrected the problem in the latest version of the Sonata case.

I also did a recent system using GA-EP35-DS3R and E8400, but could only get to 3750mhz prime stable. Guess it's the luck of the draw. It's still a great system! For image ripping using the intel RAID 1 for data reduncancy. As far as I know that system doesn't suffer from the front USB port issue and Uses an Antec case as well.

sasngang:

Just thought I'd let you know that I've decided to RMA the board. If the new/repaired one works then I might just have a reason to build another computer! Anyway, if Gigabyte gives me any indication as to what's wrong with my board, I'll be sure to post back here. Thanks!

nagle, did you get your board back? I'm curious if this is a board problem...

I've had this problem with the same board for a couple of months now, and it's been driving me crazy. I have tried replacing the case (from Cooler Master 690 to Antec 900), the PSU (From antec 550 to BFG 800), tried different usb ports on the board and no go. The computer freezes when I try t connect something to the front usb. It doesn't always happen - sometimes the device works okay.

I had same problem. My USB flash drive works perfect in front usb and never had a problem. But on one occasion I decided to use an extension cable since it was easier to unplug from the extension cable. But as soon as I disconnected device with cable still attached the screen went blank and nothing would respond.

So there is definitely a problem with so many of use with all different cases seeing this issue. I am thinking of trying to recreate the issue and if it occurs repeatedly I will open a ticket with Gigabyte.

I ended up RMA'ing the board, got it back, and gave it to a friend. It must have been the same board that I sent them because he ended up with the same problems that I had.

I don't really have much I can offer you guys past that. Go ahead and RMA the board if at all possible, but don't expect Gigabyte to be cooperative or helpful. If you have the means, you might be better off just buying a new board.

Good luck and let me know if you all find anything else out.

I nagged GB about it so much, they authorized the RMA. I actually got the SAME board (same S/N), but the issue was fixed.

I've built several more PCs based upon the GA-P35 and GA-EP35 boards with no additional USB front header problems. On one system there was a slow post problem, but everything else worked fine. We'll see if it eventually dies. I am still a committed fan of the Gigabyte products, with the exception of a few minor isolated issues, they have been excellent.

Back