Gateway P-6831FX gaming laptop $1249.99 + free game at bestbuy

mr9865

Gawd
I was going to buy this laptop and i just saw that its onsale now!

$150 off normal price starting sunday $1199 with free game!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...CategoryId=pcmcat39100050016&id=1195599780039

Warranty Terms - Parts1 year limitedWarranty
Terms - Labor1 year limited
Product Height1.7"Product Width15.75"Product Weight8.3 lbs.Product Depth11.75MobileProcessor Speed1.67GHz
Display TypeWXGA+ widescreen TFT-LCD with Ultrabright technology (1440 x 900)Screen Size17"
System Bus667MHz
Cache Memory2MB at die Level 2
System Memory (RAM)3GB
Type of Memory (RAM)PC2-5300 DDR2
Hard Drive TypeSerial ATA 250gb (5400 rpm)
Hard Drive Size250GB
Optical DriveDouble-layer DVD±RW/CD-RWOptical Drive Speeds2.4x DVD+R DL; 2x DVD-R DL; 8x8x8 DVD+RW; 8x6x8 DVD-RW; 4x DVD-RAM; 24x16x24 CD-RW
GraphicsNVIDIA GeForce Go 8800 GTS

You guys dont believe this? I have seen this laptop at bestbuy, the keyboard is ugly but it really does have a 8800gts, i want it soo bad!

That is indeed a hot deal. I can afford it but I have this damn trip in a few weeks, damn! =P,

-DarkLegacy

I actually know someone who could use a gaming laptop, but do these come with better CPUs? RAM I don't care for cause RAM upgrades are cheap, but that CPU is slow as shit.

This looks just freaking amazing... wonder what battery life is without gaming.

I actually know someone who could use a gaming laptop, but do these come with better CPUs? RAM I don't care for cause RAM upgrades are cheap, but that CPU is slow as shit.

This looks just freaking amazing... wonder what battery life is without gaming.

All laptop processors are basiclly "slow as shit"

You can probably drop a Penryn into it later. If you dont need to play the latest and greatest a NX860XL is also a good choice. Got mine for less than $800 and its plenty fast for what I need it for (linux coding and TF2 on the go especially over the summer where I am studying abroad).

yes its dual core, "is that thing eve dualcore?" look at the specs, c2d=dual core. Also that processor is not slow as shit lol.

yes its dual core, "is that thing eve dualcore?" look at the specs, c2d=dual core. Also that processor is not slow as shit lol.

May have been a harsh way to describe... but it's tough to get any C2D laptop with anything less than a 2.0 ghz CPU unless you're being super thrifty (note: I didn't say cheap).

Would just be a bit more future proof (although what is anymore?) IMO.

i'm all for a cheaper cpu. it can be upgraded easier than a video card in a laptop any day :D

The CPU can be upgraded with about 5 minutes of work. It also has a bay for a second hard drive.

Right now I wouldn't buy a notebook with a really fast CPU since Penryn is coming out soon and I will upgrade it then anyway. This is a great deal, the 8800M GTS is a great card for a notebook.

It kills my g1s, only downside is the uber crap resolution, bottom tier cpu, and fugly orange around the casing.

Upgrading the CPU would make it a pretty good priced power machine, but meh... still, if you could upgrade it for $100-150 it would be better than having to buy one new for $250.

I just got finished setting mine up. This is a SWEET laptop, especially for the price. I'm actually very surprised with the quality, considering it's a Gateway. I'm going to install a T9300 in a month or two, possibly an X9000 if the price is right. I got it with Gears of War for free. I had been meaning to pick that up for awhile. Can't go wrong with a free game.

5400RPM hard drive... ick.
A perpendicular recording high density drive like that 250GB model is not slow. It's comparable to a first generation 7200RPM 2.5" drive.

4200RPM drive = ick. High density 5400RPM drive = ok. No one will stop you from upgrading to a modern 250GB 7200RPM 2.5" drive if you want to. :p

Just ordered mine to be shipped (none in stock within a 500 mile round trip) a few minutes ago. Ordered it with the 3-year extended warranty since it's my first laptop and it covers if you drop it (once), COD4 (free), the Targus bag that is on sale in the ad ($39.99), and the surge protector ($9.99).

Most every person I know that has a laptop hasn't had problems with them, but it's my first and it's worth it for the warranty if I do make a rookie mistake.

Ended up costing quite a bit more than if I had just built a micro PC, but it wouldn't be anywhere near as portable. I still have to find a decent bluetooth mouse and keyboard, since I'm probably going to hook this up to my LCD TV.

2nd HD bay...can it do RAID 0?
place a pair of 7200RPM's in there and this should be fast, no?

This is the best affordable gaming laptop I've ever seen... The notebookreview website even said that he thinks he saw a space for a second GPU :eek:

Seems like an amazing deal. I have a question though, I haven't kept up with laptops, are these graphics cards easily swappable? Because you can't exactly buy them separately can you?

all i can say is BE CAREFUL. We have the 8800GT version on display in our stores - it runs games AMAZINGLY and we have it hooked up to a 40" 1080p Samsung to show it off to our customers. Because most games are rated M, we have to play Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 to demo it, but it runs it PERFECT. - The reason i say to BE CAREFUL is cuz of the retarded insane gay amount of problems we've had with ALL the gateway laptops that have been release within their last 6 months of M series and this new Gaming Series. I'd say in 2 weeks we take in about 30 to 40 dead laptops that are only a week old. Just be careful. Overall tho, for what it does and what i've seen it do, Damn its good. Just be careful. Or make sure you get the 3 year warranty add-on

Back