Gateway P-6831FX Review

GoHack

Gawd
Browsing the Best Buy website the other day, the 17" Gateway P-6831FX, or FX for short, caught my eye, w/its Nvidia 8800M GTS video, and for $1349.99.

I had been just checking out everyone's 17" laptops for under $2000, just to see what's out there. Most had the Nvidia Go 8600M, and just one, w/the Go 8700M.

Anyway, when I saw the Gateway, I immediately did some research on it, and it looked very good, so I went and ordered it on their website, for a pickup at a local store on Friday. Saturday evening, pending rumors of a sale of the FX, when Best Buy posted their new sale prices, it was posted on sale for $1249.99, w/a free game, your choice, $49.99 or less. Sunday morning I called Best Buy and got the $100 credited back to my account. I picked the game Crysis.

Looking at the laptop, the cpu is real easy to upgrade. The Intel 1.67 GHz T5450 Core 2 Duo that comes w/it, is really not that bad, and will do for now.

It has two hard drive bays built in, but w/only one is installed. With two hard drives, the laptop will support RAID 0. UPDATE: I have since upgraded to two (2) 60 gb Hitachi 7200 RPM HD's, setup as RAID 0.

The display is a 17.0" WXGA+ Ultrabright TFT Active Matrix (1440 x 900 max. resolution). It's the only thing that I'm a little disapointed with. It's too glossy, where an external light will effect the view, and as you move away from the screen, you start loosing the screen detail. Other than that, it's OK, and still shows very good detail, and considering the price, one can't really complain. The video out is a standard VGA connector, there's also a HDMI connector, but there is no DVI connector. On a good external monitor, the picture looks excellent.

The Intel chipset is the latest PM965, which supports Intel's latest laptop cpu's, including Intel's Extreme series.

The FX also supports Intel's new Turbo Memory card, but none is installed. I've read that there is no measureable benefit for having it.

Then of course there is the graphics card, the Nvidia Go 8800M GTS. In Vista, it is shown as an 8800 GT, but Gateway fixed that w/a newer driver, available as a download on their web site. It comes w/512 mb of built in DDR3 memory. The card appears not to be MXM, but appears to be soldered to the mother board, next to the cpu.

Anyway here are some benchnark numbers for the laptop:

Windows Vista Benchmarks w/the original Nvidia Driver 167.46

Vista Windows Experience Index Base Score - 4.5
Processor - 4.7
Memory - 4.5
Graphics - 5.9
Gaming Graphics - 5.8
Primary HD - 5.2

3DMark2001 - 20,049

3DMark03 - 23,269

3DMark05 - 10,060

3DMark06 - 7027

AquaMark3 - 86,673

Sandra Lite Benchmark (2008.1.13.12)

Processor: Dhry 14,187 Mips; Whet 10,488 Whet

Memory: Int 3670 mb/sec; Flt 3658 mb/sec

HD TUNE: 2x 60 gb Hitachi 7200 RPM, w/8 mb Cache HD's, setup as RAID 0.

Minimum - 37.8 mb/s
Maximum - 66.7 mb/s
Average - 51.4 mb/s
Access time - 15.0 ms
Burst Rate - 48.3 mb/s
CPU Usage - 4.9 %

Windows XP Pro Benchmarks w/the Nvidia Driver 169.32

3DMark2001 - 27,468

3DMark03 - 24,125

3DMark05 - 10,365

3DMark06 - 7155

AquaMark03 - 95,850

Sandra Lite Benchmark (2008.1.13.12)

Processor: Dhry 14,020 Mips; Whet 10,664 Whet

Memory: Int 3695 mb/sec; Flt 3696 mb/sec

HD TUNE: 2x 60 gb Hitachi 7200 RPM, w/8 mb Cache HD's, setup as RAID 0.

Transfer Rate
Minimum 9.7 MB/s
Maximum 63.0 MB/s
Average 49.8 MB/s

Access Time: 14.9 ms
Burst Transfer: 47.6 MB/s
CPU Usage 3.3 %

HD Tune in Safe Mode. It's a little bit better, but not much.

Transfer Rate
Minimum 9.4 MB/s
Maximum 69.7 MB/s
Average 54.4 MB/s

Access Time: 14.8 ms
Burst Transfer: 56.3 MB/s
CPU Usage 1.9 %

DSCF0329.jpg

DSCF0330.jpg

DSCF0335.jpg

DSCF0339.jpg

DSCF0342.jpg

DSCF0345.jpg

DSCF0350.jpg

DSCF0351.jpg

DSCF0352.jpg

DSCF0354.jpg

DSCF0357.jpg

DSCF0360.jpg

DSCF0362.jpg

Best Buy has it for $100 off right now, $1249. I believe you can get a price-match guarantee... :)

Nice review, some pictures might have helped. ;)

Oh, upgrade that T5450 to a T9300 and you're good to go. :D

someone told me gateway laptops have ac charger unsheilded so the laptop mobo will either break or stop charging after a year or 2 of use. is this true? it is definitely a good laptop for the price, and all products have some problems.

Best Buy has it for $100 off right now, $1249. I believe you can get a price-match guarantee... :)

Nice review, some pictures might have helped. ;)

Oh, upgrade that T5450 to a T9300 and you're good to go. :D

BB is the only place selling the FX.

I haven't seen any T9000 series cpu's on sale yet. I've been looking.

The T5450 isn't that bad, at least for now.

I've got pictures. I just have to get around to posting them. Hopefully w/in the next day or two.

yeah i still wonder why the processor in the laptop.

In order to keep the price under $1500, together w/providing a near top of the line GPU, the Nvidia 8800M GTS, Gateway had to cut something back. Besides, the CPU is real easy to upgrade.

If you can find a simular product, w/the same GPU, w/a much better CPU, for under $1500, please passed the word on. I doubt you will, because I haven't found any, much less for under $2000 for that matter. I've only seen notebooks mostly w/the Nvidia 8600M GPU, and just one w/the 8700M, for under $2000.

I posted this in the Hot Deals thread:

"I just got finished setting mine up. This is a SWEET laptop, especially for the price. I'm actually very surprised with the quality, considering it's a Gateway. I'm going to install a T9300 in a month or two, possibly an X9000 if the price is right. I got it with Gears of War for free. I had been meaning to pick that up for awhile. Can't go wrong with a free game."

I believe it's actually a Clevo. The casing appears identical to one that Sager uses. May explain the high quality. This laptop is an incredible deal.

BB is the only place selling the FX.

What I ment was that they'll match what you previously bought it for. So if you paid $1350, you can get the $100 reinbursed to your account and maybe with some persuasion.. get the free game... :D

I just ordered a pair of 60 gb Hitachi 7200 RPM hard drives, which I'll install in place of the single 250 gb Seagate that came w/the FX.

The Hitachi's are both faster, as well as cheaper, than installing a second 250 gb Seagate. I'll have 120 gb w/the Hitachi's set up as RAID 0 vs. 500 gb w/the Seagates. Besides, 120 gb is plenty for me.

I'll get some benchmarks posted on both the single 250 gb Seagate and then on the dual Hitachi's, set up as RAID 0, hopefully by this weekend.

I may install XP Pro in place of Vista, if I can get a good price on an OEM CD.

With the cpu, I'll wait for the T9xxx series to become available.

I wish my current 17" HP had some sort of decent resale value, id jump on this gateway in a heartbeat. :(

Just wondering, I have a 50" 1080p Samsung tv with HDMI ports and this laptop has an HDMI out. Has anyone tried using it on a flat panel TV ? With the included video card and amount of RAM, playing COD4 and World of Warcraft on a 50" screen sounds..... too good to be true. Just wondering if anyone has used it and how easy it is to use..

Just wondering, I have a 50" 1080p Samsung tv with HDMI ports and this laptop has an HDMI out. Has anyone tried using it on a flat panel TV ? With the included video card and amount of RAM, playing COD4 and World of Warcraft on a 50" screen sounds..... too good to be true. Just wondering if anyone has used it and how easy it is to use..

I'm using both the HDMI out and the VGA for dual external monitors. The HDMI out is connected to a 28" @ 1920x1200. I am able to run CoD4 at full settings and have a decent experience.

I am viewing this page from a 720p Samsung plasma. I use the VGA port, not HDMI, and it works without a hitch. Pretty awesome. Oh, and yes the PC is the Gateway FX.

I am considering picking one of these up Saturday. How are you liking it so far?

I am considering picking one of these up Saturday. How are you liking it so far?

I love it. Your not going to find a better deal w/a 8800M GTS.

I've been running both cores 100% for over a week, w/very little heat.

This weekend I plan to put a matched pair of hard drives in, which I'm going to set up as a RAID 0. I also plan to install Windows XP Pro instead of Vista.

well i just messed around with this gateway tonight at best buy. The CSR was a gamer and did know what he was talkin about(for once). I was able to play crysis for a few minutes to test it out, as well as we trasferred some files on wifi just so i could see how it performed. I am seriously impressed with it, the fit/finish is top notch. This is now the frontrunner in my quest for a gaming laptop. I am so glad this has come to market at this power/price point. It definitely will shake up some vendors to match this at a similar price. And that can be a good thing for us consumers. Good job Gateway(acer?) on this newest laptop.

I checked the bestbuy out today too and looked at the laptop. I like it a lot. I checked best buy's site and all stores except 1 that were listed around me had it out of stock. The only one with stock is like and hour away from here >_<. I may just have to order it.

I am still trying to make a final decision though. My "job" at college is to sit in the computer lab for 6 hours a week. I get kinda tired of browsing the web all day so I was thinking of getting a comp I could do school work on, game, movies, etc. It is hard to part with the money seeing how I just dumped $1800 on a new desktop back in early november. So, should I do it :D?

I am still trying to make a final decision though. My "job" at college is to sit in the computer lab for 6 hours a week. I get kinda tired of browsing the web all day so I was thinking of getting a comp I could do school work on, game, movies, etc. It is hard to part with the money seeing how I just dumped $1800 on a new desktop back in early november. So, should I do it :D?

As long has you have your tuition/fees paid for AND aren't confined with tons of homework/studying... then yes.

i say yes too partner ;) A whole multimedia experience awaits you................or something uh huh huh huh huh huh. I think one of the biggest things that sells it(besides price) is upgradeability. How many give you the option to do this? At this price point? It speaks for itself, and it is saying "buy me...oh yes, buy me".

As long has you have your tuition/fees paid for AND aren't confined with tons of homework/studying... then yes.
Yeah, i have fees paid. I actually get a $1000 check every semester that is left over money from scholarships. One of my scholarships requires me to work on campus for 75 hours in the semester so thats why I sit in that computer lab every week. Not having the java jdk installed on those lab machines is a pain too whenever I am trying to do java homework lol.

I ordered a pair of seagate 100GB 7200 rpm's for raid 0 and picked up a 4gb flashcard for ready boost. I will put the 250gb in an external for storage.

I orderd a T9300 last night for $335 on the way now. I will post results once they come
http://www.grassrootscomputers.com/..._2.50GHZ/BX80576T9300/partinfo-id-348869.html

ANYONE DOING A CPU UPGRADE PLEASE POST PICS OF THE PROCEDURE TO MAKE IT EASY

getting 6900 3d 06 stock. can't wait to see difference.

You think it will be alright to pass the extended warranty that best buy offers? I am trying to save as much cash as possible. Would the 1 year standard warranty be sufficient?

You think it will be alright to pass the extended warranty that best buy offers? I am trying to save as much cash as possible. Would the 1 year standard warranty be sufficient?

I usually make the decision relative to how much I have spent on a product.

It's a case, if you can buy an extended warranty, you will never have to use it, but if you don't, exactly one year, and one day, you'll need it. :D

I guess the best way to make a decision, if you plan do any upgrades to the laptop, such as the cpu, that will most likely void any warranty you have anyway.

I ordered a pair of seagate 100GB 7200 rpm's for raid 0 and picked up a 4gb flashcard for ready boost. I will put the 250gb in an external for storage.

I orderd a T9300 last night for $335 on the way now. I will post results once they come
http://www.grassrootscomputers.com/..._2.50GHZ/BX80576T9300/partinfo-id-348869.html

ANYONE DOING A CPU UPGRADE PLEASE POST PICS OF THE PROCEDURE TO MAKE IT EASY

getting 6900 3d 06 stock. can't wait to see difference.

Nice find. How did you find that T9300, a web search? Have you done business w/them before?

When do you expect to get your T9300, and have it installed? I'd like to see some benchmarks before buying mine.

I would of liked to get the T9500, but it looks like it will be selling in the $500 range, so I'll probably opt for the T9300. The Extreme X9000 will be in the $800 range, if you can even buy it.

Did you get the warranty?

No, but I will be upgrading everything. I've done the memory, I'm doing the hard drives and operating system this weekend, and in the near future, the cpu. So all that will most likely void the warranty, especially w/the cpu upgrade.

No, but I will be upgrading everything. I've done the memory, I'm doing the hard drives and operating system this weekend, and in the near future, the cpu. So all that will most likely void the warranty, especially w/the cpu upgrade.

Yes I plan to upgrade the CPU as well later on this year (maybe in August for birthday or something). So I guess getting an extra warranty plan wouldn't be beneficial.

i'd expext the t9300 by next wed. I will let you know on performance but this thing i sould be interesting.

link to my search for the t9300. you can type in 9500 or 8300 and it will find them too.
http://www.google.com/products?q=intel+t9300&hl=en&show=dd&scoring=p
hope that helps

they got the t8300 for $255 maybe a little better budget choice
http://www.google.com/products?q=intel+t8300&btnG=Search+Products&hl=en&show=dd&scoring=p

I had been searching thru Yahoo. I guess Google has a better search engine.

Anyway, I'm surprised Newegg hasn't got them yet.

I am really curious to see exactly how cpu limited this thing is.

can't wait

also is there any perfromance drop from running mismatched dimms in dual channel. ala this thing has 3 gigs but the dimms are unmatched sizes. how can it effectivley run dual channel with mismatched dimms?

also anyone got confirmation on 64bit support on this?

oh as well i can confirm that the logitech bluetooth keyboard for PS3 that bestbuy sells works perfectly on this unit and matches almost perfect in color and style.

Back