Overheating without OC

BingeBoy

Weaksauce
My new system is overheating the SB when the machine isn't overclocked.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bingeboy/2224221441/
(Idle Temps)

I posted about this last week and have added 2 extra case fans but still am having issues.
Could this be related to stock settings of the Asus bios?

Specs:
Motherboard:
Asus Maximus Formula
Processor:
Intel 6600 quad
Memory:
2x1024 Dominator 1066
Video Card # 1:
Visiontek Radeon HD 3870
Hard Drive # 1:
segate barracuda 250gig
Optical Drive # 1:
Samsung 18x DVDþRW
Power Supply:
Ultra X-Finity EE 600w PSU w/APFC

Just a guess, but most likely the SB mounting part got bumped a bit in shipping and has pulled away from the heatpipe. This has been known to happen on other boards. I'd check the contact on the SB and of course flash the most current bios.

The thermal compound that Asus used on the Maximus board is utter crap. First thing I did was rip off the NB/SB heatpipe assembly and put on some Ceramique.

As the previous poster mentioned, the heatsink on the SB has probably come loose. I'd pull it all off and replace the thermal compound with something better.

FWIW my SB loads at about 38c with an ambient room temp of 24-25c

elyrly Running Core Temp.... forgot to add that on my screen shot.

Cores at idle are:
0: 38c
1: 35c
2: 30c
3: 30c

ambient temp is around 27c.
I'm figuring that the one core that is hotter is doing all the work, and thinking that my thermal paste to cpu has been applied properly.

Those are pretty good core temps..

What about your SB though? I thought that it was overheating

For SB and NB temps I'm using PC Probe II. Unless someone can tell me another application that shows these temps.

SB is 43c
NB is 41c

I would think that the temps would be flipped since NB is cooler when the system is getting pushed too.

Pic of thermal monitor apps running idle
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=2227467958&size=l

Also just checked my bios version
v02.61

I do have some Zalman thermal paste that I will apply as my next step.

Make sure you use thermal paste that is nonconductive. Thus why the previous poster suggested ceramique. You get a touch of conductive thermal paste on anything near the SB/NB and your going to have issues!

For SB and NB temps I'm using PC Probe II. Unless someone can tell me another application that shows these temps.

SB is 43c
NB is 41c

Also just checked my bios version
v02.61

I do have some Zalman thermal paste that I will apply as my next step.

First, try using Everest to check your temps. I've heard of issues with the PC Probe software. It's possible it's got the NB/SB reversed.

I'm unfamiliar with that bios. You should definately get the latest bios from the Asus website. For the Maximus Formula that bios is 0907. Make the bios disk, shutdown, clear your cmos, flash, and then set your bios up to your liking.

And I would find some non-conductive thermal paste. It's possible the Zalman paste is but Arctic Silver Ceramique definately is.

I've had the same problem with my Asus Blitz Formula. My MB, NB, and SB temperatures are all over 40C at idle, stock settings, in 19C ambient. Remounting the heatpipes with MX-2 only made temperatures worse, and I tried a few mounts.

I found that case airflow made very little difference, but a fan blowing directly on the area of the heatsink in question could help quite a bit, even a low-speed fan. I'll be liquid cooling the NB with an aftermarket block, and probably use a Thermalright heatsink for the SB, because the stock cooler just isn't effective.

I have updated my BIOS to the latest version 907 but all temps remain the same.

Here is a link to view the case fans i have setup.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bingeboy/2222554287/

There is also a 120mm in the front and rear. Should be enough air cooling.
I also installed Everest 2 home edition, but couldn't find the temp. section of it. I'll check again tonight.

I will get the proper thermal paste over the weekend and apply as needed. Is there any documentation on this process? Should I consider anyother kind of cooling options for the NB SB? My goal is to get my system running safely at 3.2ghz.

My case has plenty of airflow too, and it doesn't do a thing for the chipset temperatures. I'm getting a Thermalright HR-05 for the SB, I suggest you do the same for the NB and SB.

Got the nb and sb cooler but now I'm having a few issues removing the existing housing.

1.First the sb has these push pin plastic screws that I can't get off.

2.Second the nb has 4 screws on it but after removing them i realized that its not even possible to remove the copper since it wraps around then entire cpu area and cools other chips too!

Any thoughts? There must be away around this.

The northbridge and voltage vrm sinks are actually separate pieces. The silver finned array is connected to the northbridge via heatpipe but it is only sitting above the VRM heatsink. They are not connected.

On the southbridge, I take a bic pen and take it apart. Use the end of the bottom of the pen to push over the backside of the SB clip. That will usually compress it enough for you to pull the pin from the other side. All you need to do is loosten the clips for now so it's no longer clipped in.

You will probably have to heat up the northbridge with a hairdryer to get the heatsink off. The stock thermal paste becomes almost glue until you heat it up. Just turn side to side to get off, do not pull it straight up or you will pull the IHS off.

Now that it's off, clean it all up while it's still warm. I carefully used acetone to get the TIM off and then alcohol. Reapply new TIM (I used MX-2) and assembly.

OMG that took half the day. Got everything off.
Hopefully I didn't fry my board while heating the heatsinks with a hair dryer so i could loosen the nb thermal epoxy.

Moving forward today with 3rd party coolers.

NB
Thermalright HR-05 SLI

SB
Vantec Iceburq.
(not sure if this will fit with the large transistors around sb)

What should I do about the voltage vrm sinks in terms of temps?
Should I add thermal grease or just keep it as is?

Right now there seem to be some kind of thermal pads on the bottom and a clear lubricant of some kind.

Use the stock thermal pads. TIM is too risky around vrm's and if your board bows at all (which it probably will just a little when you mount your CPU cooler,) the heatsink will loose contact with the VRM.

Back