[H]ardOCP vs Driver Heaven COD4 Ati 3870X2 tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

POPEGOLD

[H]ard|Gawd
I just wanted to look at direct numbers..... i picked COD4

Driverheaven earlier today took expection with a [H} typo about canned tests

DH stated they test the same way Kyles tests...in game...

lets look at COD4

[H]ardOCP
1900x1200 2aa 16af

3870X2
11 Min fps
157 MAX fps
41 Avg fps

8800GTX
23 Min Fps
134 Max Fps
45.9 Avg fps

Driver Heaven

1900x1200 4aa 16af
3870X2
41 Min fps
92 Max fps
61 Avg fps

8800GTX
25 Min fps
84 Max fps
50 Avg fps

now DH says they test the same way Kyle does..and they do no use CANNED test

how can these numbers be soooo far off...

i think this is whats puzzling people

its what i've been saying

No matter what you do you can't play the game the same way twice. Something will allways be diffrent.

Biggest difference is they used a quad at 3.4ghz versus [H} Duo at 2.9 ghz, I think this has alot to do with it as from reading around of folks that already have the cards it seems the cpu has a large effect on the overall FPS of the 3870X2 regardless of the resolution. Also according to DH the new drivers they recieved fixed several issuse and boosted performance accross the board but [H] did not use them because ATI only labeled them as increasing Crysis performance and [H] only noted a 2fps increase in Crysis.

I would love to see [H] do a review on a quad OC, with the newest drivers to see how much of a difference they experience. I bet it would solve this once and for all.

Biggest difference is they used a quad at 3.4ghz versus [H} Duo at 2.9 ghz, I think this has alot to do with it as from reading around of folks that already have the cards it seems the cpu has a large effect on the overall FPS of the 3870X2 regardless of the resolution. Also according to DH the new drivers they recieved fixed several issuse and boosted performance accross the board but [H] did not use them because ATI only labeled them as increasing Crysis performance and [H] only noted a 2fps increase in Crysis.

I would love to see [H] do a review on a quad OC, with the newest drivers to see how much of a difference they experience. I bet it would solve this once and for all.

i think Kyle should re-run the tests with the same drivers and config as DH.... Better hardware/latest drivers,,,,

If it pans out that slower machines run better with a 8800 and quads run better with 3870x2's ... that would be great to know

They didn't play the same level or scene, now did they?

i dont think the level played would make the x2 lose to the gtx... then turn around and stomp on the ultra

logic would dictate the gap would remain about the same in Nvidia's favor

Possible differences:

Possibly different levels were tested
DH screenshot of texture settings is missing, potentially different texture settings
DH had dual video cards set "Yes" while [H] had it set "No" (Interesting thing to double-check)

i think what it comes down to is how the game feels 'by the seat of the pants.' everyone was excited when the 3870's came out and a few obscure sites began posting cf results vs 8800gt sli. while cf produced impressive numbers, the numbers don't tell the entire story. what the early cf benchmarks failed to indicate, and what i noticed when i ran cf, was some of the awkwardness and glitchy performance of 3870 cf. with the beta drivers on the packaged disks, cod4 was slower in cf mode compared to a single card. performance improved with the 7.12 drivers, but there were still instances where performance was really weird. at the beginning of the last stage of the game where you parachute into a snow covered forest. with cf enabled, when i looked into the forest as snow fell, it looked like the snow fall was causing the frame rate to stutter but fraps reported good numbers. in call of juarez and stalker, cf was generating excellent frame rates but every few seconds the screen would flash. while entirely playable, this phenomenon became incredibly distracting. it wasn't until the 8.1 drivers that this problem disappeared. in fear, whenever you move while zoomed in, the frame rate stutters. when you kill an enemy while in slow-mo sometimes the havok engine glitches and your opponent explodes off the screen. these problems have not been fixed with the new drivers and persist even with the expansions. these kinds on inconsistencies require the reviewer to actually sit and play the games. we can't give a pass to a card that produces superb frame rates but suffers from these kinds of strange occurrences

Possible differences:

DH screenshot of texture settings is missing, potentially different texture settings
DH had dual video cards set "Yes" while [H] had it set "No" (Interesting thing to double-check)

I wondered about the Dual Cards=Yes thing too. It's also very interesting that apparently the 3870X2 scales with processor clock. Maybe it affects Crossfire throughput efficiency? Might also be more closely tied to FSB speed than raw CPU speed.

While I dont think cross comparing tests on different machines, played by a different person is a good idea, the CPU is not the "problem". At that res, it would be next to zero difference in frames.

Possible differences:

Yeah, the fact that in-game settings are totally left out of the picture might make things less clear. I know we fully lay our cards on the table, unsure about DH. Dunno why they would leave something important like that out of the config. I see where they did not even identify the OS they were using beyond "vista."

12012045286jZMQmN9sX_4_1_l.jpg

12012045286jZMQmN9sX_4_2.gif

i would be nice if [H] could have tested for cpu scaling with both cards

that would be very interesting....

with all the controvesy... i think Kyle should run a part 2

with a quad core gpu and the newer drivers
and scaling 2.0 GHZ 2.5 GHZ 3.0 GHZ with both cards

i may show what i am thinking.... the more CPU horsepower u give the x2...the faster in gets alot more than the gtx/ultra

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1031984365&postcount=618

He just made the point that the same level is not even used for the run-through, so I think that makes this point pretty much moot. The settings we suggested to our readers will work through the game from start to finish and give solid gameplay. As I have said repeatedly, our run-throughs give a "worst case" stressfull scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back