Current 24"+ LCD Specification Comparison Chart

beelzibub

Limp Gawd
I've been researching an upgrade to my 20" Sceptre, and I've constructed a chart with many current 24" and larger LCDs. There are probably many models missing, and some specifications that I cannot find. If you guys can help out and post other models with their specs or fill in any blanks, I'll update the chart periodically. I think this will help keep everyone better informed on what is currently available when looking for a new display.

For the measured input lag, setup a CRT next to the LCD and run a program like this: http://tft.vanity.dk/
Follow their directions or search for other methods on [H]...try and run the test at least 10 times and give me the average in milliseconds (ms). I'll post the average of all posts for each model.

If there is anything you think I should change, add, remove, etc to this chart, feel free to let me know!

LCDMonitorChart.gif

NEC 2470WNX is an S-PVA, not a TN. Input lag according to PRAD is 33ms, and one poster on the 2470WNX thread here measured 23.5ms. Viewing angles are not poor, in fact they're remarkably better than my ViewSonic VP2130B and Dell 1907, which are also S-PVAs.

NEC 2470WVX, which looks alot like the WNX, is the TN.

For the Planar PX2611W, ToastyX measured the input lag at about 12ms. This is a good post, I have also been looking for a new 24+" LCD and I have had to look at tons of threads to weed out this information. Especially input lag which is real importatnt to me. I also had a Gateway XHD3000 and it had two input lags. One without the scalar (native resolution) I would say wasn't too bad, just my subjective view of about 16-32ms. With the scalar though, I thought it was as high as 80-100ms.

is there any 24"+ monitor that is similar to the 226bw in input lag and ghosting?

BenQ FP241W and VW are all A-MVA.

That chart has so many errors that it is misinformation to leave it on.

It doesn't really matter all you need to know is if its a va, tn, or ips type panel. If you want to nit pick yes sure but its still in the va class of panels.

I apologize for any errors, but that is why I posted it and asked for your help!! I'll update the chart tonight when I get home later tonight....thanks for all the info so far, keep it coming!

as does this post:D

the poster is correct, concerning the benq

the benq fp241w is a P-MVA panel, not an A-MVA

24"WS AU Optronics P-MVA (M240UW01 V0)
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/

i dont know why so many ppl think its an A-MVA panel:confused:

and the blackout issues with the monitor were only associated with ATi cards IME, i had the issues with an ati card, switched to an nvidia card, no more issues.

You left off the two Gateway 24" FPD2485W and FHD2400 as well as the 24" Westinghouse, 24" Acer, 24" Sceptre, and the new Asus MK241. You also left off the 2493HM and 2693HM panels coming from Samsung.

Good post.

I suggest adding the 24" TN and VA Gateway, the VA Westinghouse, the Samsung 245B (due to its ***stupid*** @%#$ing popularity), and the LG 24".

reductant: Post the info for these models and I'll add them! Thanks!

hahah No way, I'm not the one shopping for a new monitor. I want everyone to go through all the research I had to go through. I don't agree with these Cliffs Notes tables! /sarcasm (just laziness)

Thanks for putting this together. I am in the market for a new widescreen display and its very nice to have all the info in one place.

as does this post:D

the poster is correct, concerning the benq

the benq fp241w is a P-MVA panel, not an A-MVA

24"WS AU Optronics P-MVA (M240UW01 V0)
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/

i dont know why so many ppl think its an A-MVA panel:confused:

and the blackout issues with the monitor were only associated with ATi cards IME, i had the issues with an ati card, switched to an nvidia card, no more issues.

Your info is wrong, probably because tftcentral got the pre-production FP241W. AUO doesn't make 24" P-MVA panel since 2007. FP241W/VW uses M240UW01 V2 panel. They are all A-MVA panels.

Check the AUO websites yourself: http://auo.com/auoDEV/products.php?sec=monitor&func=items&items_id=1&ls=en

That is what I was saying. Those review websites don't update their info. garbage in garbage out.

you could add the Viewsonic VX2435WM; don't know the exact stats on it for the chart though

since i have one on order i will make a note somewhere to run some of these tests if you don't find the stats needed as I have a CRT at the moment

the gateway fhd2400 has reported progressive backlight bleeding... at least i recall that from reading its own thread a week or so ago

Your info is wrong, probably because tftcentral got the pre-production FP241W. AUO doesn't make 24" P-MVA panel since 2007. FP241W/VW uses M240UW01 V2 panel. They are all A-MVA panels.

Check the AUO websites yourself: http://auo.com/auoDEV/products.php?sec=monitor&func=items&items_id=1&ls=en

That is what I was saying. Those review websites don't update their info. garbage in garbage out.

Well the specs of the M240UW01 v2 panel do not match the specs of the FP241W at all, whereas the specs of the original P-MVA panel do! If anything, the latest v4 panel is closer, but then the FP241W is an older model. It was released in 2007 anyway, so when they still produced the P-MVA part.

I don't know where the info that it is AMVA came from, but there doesn't seem to be much supporting evidence that i have seen! Originally many places said it was S-PVA, but TFTCentral had confirmation from BenQ themselves that it was was an AUO panel.

I have read the NEC 2490 has been rated at 32ms input lag. It is a shame though, if it didn't have this input lag it most likely would be the best 24" out there by far.

I have read the NEC 2490 has been rated at 32ms input lag. It is a shame though, if it didn't have this input lag it most likely would be the best 24" out there by far.

where did you read?

you're not going to win any FPS twitch shooters with it, but you wont win any on any lcd either.....its rated 6ms g/g and 12-16 color

i have one and i dont see any 32ms input lag, in fact if it had that bad of input lag, there's no way i would have bought it.

Dunan said:
i have one and i dont see any 32ms input lag, in fact if it had that bad of input lag, there's no way i would have bought it.
You didn't even test it. It does have around 33 ms of lag, just like the 2690.

You didn't even test it. It does have around 33 ms of lag, just like the 2690.

true. but i've been on monitors that have that have had similar input lag timings and they seem much worse (samsungs come to mind)

it just doesnt seem like 32ms to me and i'm anal about that stuff:confused::D

Dunan: Why don't you run a lag test? Your sig lists that you have a crt to test against....just a thought! Do you switch back and forth between the crt and lcd's when gaming? I'm concerned about input lag and have been thinking about buying a large CRT similar to yours for FPS gaming purposes.

Well the specs of the M240UW01 v2 panel do not match the specs of the FP241W at all, whereas the specs of the original P-MVA panel do! If anything, the latest v4 panel is closer, but then the FP241W is an older model. It was released in 2007 anyway, so when they still produced the P-MVA part.

I don't know where the info that it is AMVA came from, but there doesn't seem to be much supporting evidence that i have seen! Originally many places said it was S-PVA, but TFTCentral had confirmation from BenQ themselves that it was was an AUO panel.

AUO is the daughter company of BenQ, so BenQ uses AUO panel (TFTCentral is correct about this). Other than that TFT Central has old info.

I did notice M240UW01 V2 specs doesn't match FP241W's specs. Just that someone did open up a FP241WZ (same panel specs as FP241W) in early 2007 and found a V2 A-MVA panel inside, while few months earlier (late 2006) has opened a FP241W and found V0 panel build in June 2006. I have been monitoring AUO websites starting September 2007 and found no V0 panel listed so it is safe to assume AUO no longer producing V0 panels and all are at least V2 panels in FP241 series. Also, NCIX Canada (they have listed on their website) has confirmed with BenQ that all FP241 series are all using A-MVA panel. Therefore, it is pretty sure that earlier production FP241W did use V0 panel, but later was switched to V2 (probably at the January 2007 since Jan 07 build FP241WZ is using V2 panel). One thing don't know is if the latest firmware FP241W is using V2 or V4?

EDIT: I would also like to add that FP241VW can't use V0 panel because V0 panel doesn't support BFI function which FP241VW has, so TFT Central is clearly wrong. FP241WZ use V2 panel because V2 supports BFI; therefore FP241VW has to at least use V2 panel.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=19235&vpn=FP241W&manufacture=BENQ

So info on the websites you were reading are outdated!!!

well done

i tried to start a similar thread on this forum once, but it didnt took off.... :(

one idea:
how about mentioning a european price next to the american?
we often pay the double or the monitor is not available in EU at all (fucking 2490)

and euh, if input lag is above the 40ms i think it can be considered as bad, no? :) (245T)

AUO is the daughter company of BenQ, so BenQ uses AUO panel (TFTCentral is correct about this). Other than that TFT Central has old info.

I did notice M240UW01 V2 specs doesn't match FP241W's specs. Just that someone did open up a FP241WZ (same panel specs as FP241W) in early 2007 and found a V2 A-MVA panel inside, while few months earlier (late 2006) has opened a FP241W and found V0 panel build in June 2006. I have been monitoring AUO websites starting September 2007 and found no V0 panel listed so it is safe to assume AUO no longer producing V0 panels and all are at least V2 panels in FP241 series. Also, NCIX Canada (they have listed on their website) has confirmed with BenQ that all FP241 series are all using A-MVA panel. Therefore, it is pretty sure that earlier production FP241W did use V0 panel, but later was switched to V2 (probably at the January 2007 since Jan 07 build FP241WZ is using V2 panel). One thing don't know is if the latest firmware FP241W is using V2 or V4?

EDIT: I would also like to add that FP241VW can't use V0 panel because V0 panel doesn't support BFI function which FP241VW has, so TFT Central is clearly wrong. FP241WZ use V2 panel because V2 supports BFI; therefore FP241VW has to at least use V2 panel.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=19235&vpn=FP241W&manufacture=BENQ

So info on the websites you were reading are outdated!!!

Hi RB30, thanks for the reply. In case this came across wrong before, I'm not argueing about it at all, was just interested in hearing the explanation / evidence for it being a V2 AMVA, since I've seen ti discussed in several places, but without much in the way of support. So thanks for the feedback and info, it's helpful :)

So late 2006 someone opened up a FP241W and found P-MVA V0 panel, which matches the spec of the screen spot on. Since the FP241W was out before the Z model, this might make sense and explain a possible panel swap later on. A couple of months later, in early 07, someone opened up an FP241WZ and found a V2 AMVA, that's interesting to hear, and good evidence certainly. I'm still a little concerned the panel specs do not match the monitor specs, but it's totally possible AUO just supplied the new panel to BenQ because the V0 was replaced by V2, and BenQ had no real reason to update the spec. Ultimately, both versions are probably pretty comparable in practice anyway.

So I guess your analysis that it was V0 originally, then replaced later on by V2 (prob first in the Z model, then later in the normal version) is very possible.

Where did you get the info that V0 doesn't support BFI and V2 does?

Hi RB30, thanks for the reply. In case this came across wrong before, I'm not argueing about it at all, was just interested in hearing the explanation / evidence for it being a V2 AMVA, since I've seen ti discussed in several places, but without much in the way of support. So thanks for the feedback and info, it's helpful :)

So late 2006 someone opened up a FP241W and found P-MVA V0 panel, which matches the spec of the screen spot on. Since the FP241W was out before the Z model, this might make sense and explain a possible panel swap later on. A couple of months later, in early 07, someone opened up an FP241WZ and found a V2 AMVA, that's interesting to hear, and good evidence certainly. I'm still a little concerned the panel specs do not match the monitor specs, but it's totally possible AUO just supplied the new panel to BenQ because the V0 was replaced by V2, and BenQ had no real reason to update the spec. Ultimately, both versions are probably pretty comparable in practice anyway.

So I guess your analysis that it was V0 originally, then replaced later on by V2 (prob first in the Z model, then later in the normal version) is very possible.

Where did you get the info that V0 doesn't support BFI and V2 does?

I went back to the Chinese website that they dissected both W and WZ. They have many articles comparing both W and WZ. However, the articles were published around December 2006. If you are intestested in technical stuff and understand Chinese, these are interesting read.

Couple notes:

1. V0 panel in the original W was A-MVA, not P-MVA as listed in other websites. This makes sense because the V0 and V2 are belong to same model number so they should be the same type of panel.

2. The certain electronics used in W was better than WZ.

3. Below is the page I found them talking about V0 was not capable of BFI while V2 can. They got this info from BenQ directly: http://www.pconline.com.cn/diy/display/reviews/0612/923665_5.html

Here is the original article from beginning: Dissecting FP241WZ part 2: http://www.pconline.com.cn/diy/display/reviews/0612/923665.html

Dissecting FP241WZ part 1: http://www.pconline.com.cn/diy/display/reviews/0612/922615.html

FP241WZ BFI (AMA Z) testing and comparison between W and WZ:
http://www.pconline.com.cn/diy/display/reviews/0612/920056.html

FP241WZ arrival:
http://www.pconline.com.cn/diy/display/product/0611/916197.html

When they initially compared W and WZ side by side, they found W has better brightness and other stuff. So they first assumed WZ was not using A-MVA panel. Then they took apart of WZ and found that it had V2 panel and was not listed on the AUO website at the time. So they confirmed with BenQ directly saying that V2 is indeed a A-MVA panel and because V0 cannot do BFI (AMA Z), WZ has V2 instead. I still don't know why V2 specs on AUO website now has a slight different then the initial WZ specs.

Mind you though, all these testings and dissections were done on the early production models of W and WZ. Since BenQ uses whatever AUO panels AUO supplied to BenQ, and they updated continuously, so we really don't know which version of panel ended up in the Sept 2007 build W (possibly V4) until someone actually opens one up.

I will read some more of those articles and get back to you....

Dunan: Why don't you run a lag test? Your sig lists that you have a crt to test against....just a thought! Do you switch back and forth between the crt and lcd's when gaming? I'm concerned about input lag and have been thinking about buying a large CRT similar to yours for FPS gaming purposes.

i would but i dont have the room to set both of them up at the same time:(

just the NEC is hooked up right now unfortunately. it has lag for sure, but it just doesnt feel like 30+ms......i'm sure it could be, maybe i'm just getting used to the screen and dont see it much...

Badd:

I notice something about the V2 specs on AUO, it said 12 CCFL. I think it is wrong, because when they opened up the FP241WZ, only found 6 tubes for backlighting on V2, so V2's specs should be closer to V4's specs. The V2 specs on AUO website is different from FP241 series's specs: brightness 300, response time 10 msec, backlight 12 CCFL.

shows 6 tubes for backlighting:
http://www.pconline.com.cn/diy/display/reviews/0612/922615_3.html

AUO website V2 specs:
http://auo.com/auoDEV/products.php?sec=monitor&func=info&product_id=6&items_id=1

Back