3870X2's on Newegg for $449 + $6 shipping in stock now!

SirKronan

Supreme [H]ardness
New deal on the block on those X2's. Check out these links

Sapphire

Diamond

HIS HIghtech

All $449 plus $6.61 for shipping. Add another $50 of product and purchase on your Newegg preferred card and you might qualify for the no interest for 6 mo. too!!!

AMD has a really good price point here.............With newegg already jacking up the price of hot new items we could actually see this thing price around 400 buck really fast. At that price I believe this would be the only single card solution to consider. Perhaps mature drivers will speed things up nicley. ATI has always been good at improving speed through newer driver releases.

I just did this myself...

A1473167 1 Radeon HD 3870 X2 1 GB GDDR3 PCI Express Graphics Card

Save 15% off select E&A only with Dell Preferred Account! (Discount applied at Final Checkout after entering Payment Method.) - $72.00

Save 3% when you use DPA! - $12.24

Order Subtotal: $395.75
Shipping and Handling Total: $8.00
Shipping Discount: -$8.00
Tax Total: $31.67
Total Charges: $427.42

Oops... Damn coupon tempted me too much :( Yes its from Dell and I probably won't get it for a week or two... but.. oh well. Oh and its a Visiontek.

AMD has a really good price point here.............With newegg already jacking up the price of hot new items we could actually see this thing price around 400 buck really fast. At that price I believe this would be the only single card solution to consider. Perhaps mature drivers will speed things up nicley. ATI has always been good at improving speed through newer driver releases.

I think they announced $450 for the suggested retail. Surprised the egg hasn't jacked them up yet like with the 8800GT's...

The 2 out of stock items are from Asus and PowerColor. I can understand the incentive to grab the Asuscard for Company of Heroes but why the PowerColor? Is it a more respected brand due to something like good customer service/support? Anyone wanna chime in?

[H]unter;1031985636 said:
i'm still climbing the learning curve here, can you explain your comment / linkout?

Intel overclockers usually use P35 boards and they're all Crossfire, not SLI. So the fact that two 8800GTS would perform better is irrelevant. You can't SLI NVIDIA cards in P35 boards.

Intel overclockers usually use P35 boards and they're all Crossfire, not SLI. So the fact that two 8800GTS would perform better is irrelevant. You can't SLI NVIDIA cards in P35 boards.

Right, the nvidia chipsets have had a reputation for disappointing when it comes to Intel CPUs.. I have no direct experience here, but I can say this:
Dan_D, the motherboard editor for this site, can't wait to use something other than his current nvidia motherboard. That says a lot to me.

Right, the nvidia chipsets have had a reputation for disappointing when it comes to Intel CPUs.. I have no direct experience here, but I can say this:
Dan_D, the motherboard editor for this site, can't wait to use something other than his current nvidia motherboard. That says a lot to me.

Thanks guys, makes sense. Is NV going to do something about this?

so this is really faster than the ultra? :)
honestly, it's hard to say.
HardOCP's review appears to show the 3870 falls behind the 8800GTX in several cases.
Anandtech's review appears to show the 3870 beating the GTX fairly consistently.
Some other reviews show the 3870 in a back-and-forth battle with even the Ultra.

There's a lot of inconsistency in the reviews, and I think I'm going to wait a couple weeks for the driver situation to get sorted out (most reviews are using beta drivers). Once catalyst 8.2 is out, I think we'll have a better idea of this thing's true performance.

(Also, I'm still hoping to see ATI unlock the ability to run one X2 with one 3870 single in Crossfire)

honestly, it's hard to say.
HardOCP's review appears to show the 3870 falls behind the 8800GTX in several cases.
Anandtech's review appears to show the 3870 beating the GTX fairly consistently.
Some other reviews show the 3870 in a back-and-forth battle with even the Ultra.

There's a lot of inconsistency in the reviews, and I think I'm going to wait a couple weeks for the driver situation to get sorted out (most reviews are using beta drivers). Once catalyst 8.2 is out, I think we'll have a better idea of this thing's true performance.

(Also, I'm still hoping to see ATI unlock the ability to run one X2 with one 3870 single in Crossfire)

They are working on that as we speak.

Just a side note: I don't consider 3.33GHz on a quad core a poor intel overclock with a $21 air cooler.... and I've got the 680i. Also currently running 8GB of "cheapo" ram at 1000MHz on 1.95v, still with stock timings, memtest and Prime95 stable, overclocked my 8800GT, got a 3DMark06 of over 14k, and I still feel like I've got room to push it more. I know Dan_D has had a world of poor luck with nVidia chipsets, but some of us have had good success. One of my friends has his watercooled and his processor is overclocked to 3.65GHz, same Q6700 that I have, too - (check it out, it rocks.). Our temps are good, as well. Anyways, check out the last few pages of the IN9-32X Max thread.

Back on topic... Please let us know when any of you get your cards in and how they're performing!! Also inform us to potential driver updates that you download, and how they work, as that will be of interest to people considering picking up this hot deal. Thanks!

No doubt, nvidia mobos CAN oc well (as evidenced by the recent 30,000 3dmark barrier being broken by a 780i setup), but if I had to bet money on which chipset would clock the highest, and I had to choose between an nvidia chip and an Intel one, I'd bet on the intel every time.

No doubt, nvidia mobos CAN oc well (as evidenced by the recent 30,000 3dmark barrier being broken by a 780i setup), but if I had to bet money on which chipset would clock the highest, and I had to choose between an nvidia chip and an Intel one, I'd bet on the intel every time.

That would be good if I just wanted to overclock my processor, but I want precise control over everything, and I plan on running a second 8800GT in SLI, and I want to overclock those. The 680i (and now 780i) are enthusiast parts and definitely pack a powerful punch in overall control, customization, and overclocking of everything. Plus, at the price I got it (119 after rebate) there was no P35 or X38 board that had near as much expandability, as many features, and still boasted as much overclocking power. That was then, though. Some of the P35's with lots of ports and expandability are coming down in price though, with the release of new chipsets.

UPDATE:
Looks like all except the ASUS 3870X2 are in stock at the moment (6:06 p.m. Mountain time) on newegg, and the Diamond and Visiontek have FREE SHIPPING!! I would definitely pick up that Visiontek if you've been waiting for one of these.

Back