620HX vs 750TX

Deluzion

n00b
Wich of these 2 PSU's are loudest and wich would be better suited for a system like this?

2x 8800GT max clocking potential
Core 2 Quad q6600 or eventually a q9450 with max clock potential
2 Sata HD's
1 DVD Burner
6 Case Fans
Xfi + Front bay

i hear well and have tinnitus (go figure :S) so noise level is really important to me

Wich of these 2 PSU's are loudest and wich would be better suited for a system like this?

2x 8800GT max clocking potential
Core 2 Quad q6600 or eventually a q9450 with max clock potential
2 Sata HD's
1 DVD Burner
6 Case Fans
Xfi + Front bay

i hear well and have tinnitus (go figure :S) so noise level is really important to me

They'll be about the same noise level at idle, but at full load the 750 has a lot more heat to dissipate so it'll be louder. The good news is that your system won't put anywhere near 750W of load on a PSU. In fact I'd be surprised if you broke 400W at full load.

Either is a good choice. The TX750 would be more powerful but not modular, the HX620 is modular with a little less power.

Thanks for the quick response Redbeard :)

Wich of the 2 would be most silent at around 400w you think?

Hey RB -- Are the TX/VX series also tested at 50C?

I only ask because I often tell people because other companies rate at 40C, you can generally add a few watts to a cool running Corsair because of your more stringent testing methods.

I've had two 620HX and I'm still in love.

Hey RB -- Are the TX/VX series also tested at 50C?

Yes

I only ask because I often tell people because other companies rate at 40C, you can generally add a few watts to a cool running Corsair because of your more stringent testing methods.

I've had two 620HX and I'm still in love.

Assuming other companies rate at 40c is a bad assumption since many/most do not.

I honestly thought I had read, in a review of the Corsair unit, either here or at another reputable hardware website that "...most companies rate at 40C."

I honestly thought I had read, in a review of the Corsair unit, either here or at another reputable hardware website that "...most companies rate at 40C."

Most Seasonic units are rated at 40c but the spec does not establish a must rating temperature so many/most units use that as an out to rate at lower temperatures.

Most "reputable" PSU manufacturers rate at least at 40C, better yet is 50C. It's not uncommon for the operating temperature inside a case to hit 40C+ temps occasionally, especially if it's a low-airflow, low-noise design. Going to 50C adds a bit more headroom and allows a PSU rated there to operate more quietly for longer periods of time, and in some cases to output more power at lower temperature ratings if need be.

That being said, Paul's right, the ATX spec doesn't really require a temperature rating, as far as I know, so a lot of companies rate their stuff at "room temperature" which is kind of accepted as 25C.

Most silent around 400W would probably be the HX620, its fan controller is more tuned for silence than the TX750s. The other benefit is that when you're at idle, say, 200W, the HX620 will be more efficient than the TX750. Really unless you're running dual GTXs or 3870x2s, the HX620 should be fine for your needs.

Also, the HX620 is said by many to be a 750W supply rated to 620W by Corsair for low volume. Even so, the HX620 should be just about fine for a dual GTX setup.

HX620 is indeed pretty quiet under load. I do not have sli yet but my GTX loves that psu.

The HX 620 can drive 2 GTX SLI, so it should handle your rig quite well. My 620 performs brilliantly.

I have a HX620, and it's extremely quiet - it's nigh-on inaudible in my P182 with stock fans set to low. If I sit about an inch from it I can hear that there is actually a fan in there.

I recieved the HX620 today using it now and works like a charm and cant hear it at all :) great

one thing i wonder is everest and bios shows the PSU only giving 4.89V on the 5V, shouldnt it be closer to 5 then that?

+/-5% is within tolerance, besides, motherboard voltage sensors are NEVER accurate, you need a multimeter or something to measure voltage accurately.

Redbeard btw are all HX620's,even the new ones, still using Seasonic or are some CWT now?

Redbeard btw are all HX620's,even the new ones, still using Seasonic or are some CWT now?

All HX520, HX620, VX450, and TX650 are Seasonic based.

All VX550, TX750, and up-and-coming HX1000 are CWT based.

I say "based" because there are a number of upgrades to increase lifespan and ability to run at its rated temp more comfortably, that sort of stuff.

+1 for hx620. I love the modular cables and I've never been able to detect any noise coming from it at all.

Back