Asus Maximus Formula SE NB and SB removal

BingeBoy

Weaksauce
Due to hight temps on my new system I have been getting recommendations to re-paste my NB and SB on my Asus Maximus Formula.

Can anyone explain the full process to me as I'm a noob to the overclocking world.
Also I have heard that the stock paste can cure and will become extremely hard to remove. I have spent about 20 -30 hours running the board as is.

Temps on system:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bingeboy/2224221441/

Thanks

Look at the heatsinks from the top, see where the springloaded pins are used to hold them down. Then flip the board over and pop them out. Once you get them all out (and if I can see right on this little picture, 4 or so screws) you can pull the heatsink off.

Clean all the old goop off. Put the new goop on (likely a lot /less/ of it). Line the heatsink up, set it on the board, push the pins and screws back in. Should be good to go.

Just look at the thing, try not to hit any little parts with it when you remove it, and it should be good.

The trickiest part is getting the pushpins out. I usually use needlenose pliers and am really careful.

Thanks for the great feedback.

Anyone recommend any additional cooling for the nb and sb?
I was looking at the thermalright HR-05. Seems promising just worried if would fit on the northbridge with my zalman 9700.

Yeah I'm going to go with that model for my NB. Though it don't it's possible to install on my SB since there are no holes there.

Yeah I'm going to go with that model for my NB. Though it don't it's possible to install on my SB since there are no holes there.

Southbridge, buy one of those little southbridge HSFs. You sure there are no holes? That seems odd. There's usually 2.

I realized how useless my previous post was. I meant something like this.

Hmm I think the other cool looks like it will work better. I can always try on of each. Has anyone tried using either of these products? With my setup I think my cpu fan might be blocking to much airflow to make this fan effective.

Hmm I think the other cool looks like it will work better. I can always try on of each. Has anyone tried using either of these products? With my setup I think my cpu fan might be blocking to much airflow to make this fan effective.

I suggested it for the Southbridge, not the Northbridge. You have to buy a HSF for the smaller chip that's farther from the CPU socket, because the board uses a heatpipe system for cooling, so if you replace the sink on the Northbridge with the Thermalright you have to do something for the Southbridge too. Gladly it runs a lot cooler, so you can get away with tiny things like this.

I suggested it for the Southbridge, not the Northbridge. You have to buy a HSF for the smaller chip that's farther from the CPU socket, because the board uses a heatpipe system for cooling, so if you replace the sink on the Northbridge with the Thermalright you have to do something for the Southbridge too. Gladly it runs a lot cooler, so you can get away with tiny things like this.

Ok does the heat pipe get removed when the new coolers are added?

Yes, it has to be. You can't just leave part of it on and take part off. So if you replace the Northbridge HSF with an aftermarket part you have to replace the Southbridge HSF too, as the original one is all once piece. The Southbridge will overheat and fail if you run it with nothing on it. (PS - don't do that ;) )

Thanks!

I'll give that a shot. The HR-05 SLI seems to be out of stock on most sites. I'll have to do some digging tonight and get one for the nb with the fan for the sb.

I'm assuming that my SB was getting so hot due to the copper pipe feeding its heat from the NB.

Totally ruined my new board. System wouldn't boot to bios after I removed the NB and SB cooler and replaced with $60 more dollars of parts.
Must have over heated it with the hair dryer. Secondly after removing my new SB cooler I also knocked some little circuit off the board.

Waste of $250 dollars +60 for 3rd party cooling for a grand total of $310.

Should have just returned that thing from the start.
Any recommendations for a new board? Not sure if I want to get another maximus after this grueling experience. The dead board is going to be sent back to Asus maybe they will give me a new one of be able to fix it since I was having major issues with stock cooling. But I have little hope.

No offense man, but what the heck were you doing using a hairdryer on it in the first place?

Also, yeah, knocking parts off does tend to have a negative effect. Hopefully they'll let you RMA, but they're certainly within their rights to deny the request or charge you for it.

Always have to be careful....

Back