Looking for the best 24" S-IPS Monitor under $700

makots

n00b
Just looking for some recommendations for a 24 inch S-IPS panel that would be available in the US under $700. I am looking for best response time and overall best picture quality (both color reproduction and black level). Also, overall picture quality with an XBox 360 hooked up via VGA. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Wishful thinking. The cheapest 24" IPS is.....the ONLY 24" IPS in North America, and it's around $1k at the cheapest. That would be the NEC LCD2490wuxi.

Your other option would be a Planar 26" that has some issues, for around $800 on sale, or an 23" Apple cinema display, with older tachnology, for around $800 also.

Unless of course you are willing to take the risk of buying used.

And if that NEC is the only one why would you buy it with only 800:1 contrast ratio and 16ms response?

because your lcd lies and has less than that contrast ratio.

that nec is a king monitor. planar is as well, i own one.

850+ for it. but worth it as its much better even for tv and movies than a xbr sony lcd (not hard to do sadly enough)

And if that NEC is the only one why would you buy it with only 800:1 contrast ratio and 16ms response?

Where do you see 16ms response.

As far as 800:1 contrast, the monitor you are currently using probably has about the same native contrast ratio, or less. Just because you can burn your retinas with the backlight, they tell you a monitor has a 1300:1 contrast ratio. It's marketing, and you are the sucker falling for it.

Just because you can burn your retinas with the backlight, they tell you a monitor has a 1300:1 contrast ratio.

ROFL!

I love it when someone has their info right. :p

That NEC is a king monitor. I have a Viewsonic VP201b (SIPS based) and it in itself is a king monitor!

I understand overbrightness, oversaturation, overly bright backlight / false contrast ratio claims and using grey-to-grey response times, etc. (As for backlight, some lcds now have adjustable backlight level control though, which on mine I turn down to around 20%).

That said I'm interested in S-IPS monitors but I wouldn't want to pay premium for one that has older contrast ratios and response times compared to newer models. I'd also want to avoid backlight bleeding, banding, and color problems. These are forgivable in budget and to a degree even in mainstream monitors but not when you pay top dollar for a high end display.

And I personally wouldn't buy another monitor that has less than 1900x1080 or 1920x1200 native resolution and hdcp, or has 1:1 pixel mapping issues.

I understand overbrightness, oversaturation, overly bright backlight / false contrast ratio claims and using grey-to-grey response times, etc. (As for backlight, some lcds now have adjustable backlight level control though, which on mine I turn down to around 20%).

That said I'm interested in S-IPS monitors but I wouldn't want to pay premium for one that has older contrast ratios and response times compared to newer models. I'd also want to avoid backlight bleeding, banding, and color problems. These are forgivable in budget and to a degree even in mainstream monitors but not when you pay top dollar for a high end display.

And I personally wouldn't buy another monitor that has less than 1900x1080 or 1920x1200 native resolution and hdcp, or has 1:1 pixel mapping issues.

WTF are you talking about? I think you are confused, or you don't know about inflated response times, etc...because the backlight brightness is where they get their contrast numbers, with the exeption of Sharp's ASV panels which have the darkest blacks on the planet for LCD panels with standard backlights (that's why instead of 2000:1 you get 10K:1). VA panels have darker blacks, but at what cost? The very technology that gives them the dark blacks, also just happens to be their biggest flaw, black crush.

The 2490 is a professional grade monitor, and NEC is known to give accurate numbers in their marketed specs. Unlike all the bogus 2ms and 2000:1 exaggerations you get from the likes of other companies, the 16ms is accurate, REAL response time (black to black), and the G2G is listed at 8ms. It's native resolution is 1920*1200 and it has no problems with scaling, so I don;t know what your last statement is refering too. It is not HDCP compliant, but that means very little if you don't plan on watching HD or BluRay movies at 1080p.

So what "top dollar" display would you recommend, hmmmmm?

I realize that many spec claims on monitors are bogus. I was talking generally about some of the flaws in monitors that I wouldn't expect to get if I paid a lot more for a monitor, and that the orig. poster should keep an eye out for. Insights into the NEC are appreciated. Originally I did quote the 800:1 contrast ratio and 16ms response time of the NEC, as they seem like slightly lower numbers. I'm sure the nec is very good and that the real numbers of many monitors are ~closer to that as was said. The numbers should improve in future models I hope.

Some of the S-IPS monitors mentioned like the viewsonic aren't 1920x1200. (I like that the nec is). I realize that the quoted contrast ratios are at full blown overbright backlight, I just mentioned that on some monitors you can turn down the backlight at least ( though it brings the real contrast back to more realistic ratios in the process I know). Some 1920x1200 monitors have trouble with 1:1 from 1080p sources , so I would want to avoid that as would the original poster most likely since he mentioned his xbox360. Hdcp would be a good inclusion of course too if you were paying premium already.

For my pc I own a westinghouse 37w3 'monitor' and a sony FW900 24" widescreen trinitron crt. I also have an hp pavilion entertainment laptop with a low end panel that works fine with a direct viewing angle, and has hdmi out to my other displays when I want. For my hd satellite programming and ps3/blu-rays - a sony 34" xbr960 widescreen superfinepitch crt. Still can't beat high end crts for many things.

For a top dollar monitor I personally wouldn't buy any current model on the high price end, but thats considering the monitors I already own allowing me to use the benefits of both crt and lcd usage. I'd wait for (even)better specs before paying double or more for a high end lcd. For my new rig I'm lining up now I might just settle on something cheaper like the BenQ G2400 (even though its an inferior TN panel reviews are decent), or use what I've already blown money on in the last few years and wait for some future offerings. :cool:

Let's get a few things straight (as others have already mentioned in this thread).

The NEC xx90 series of LCDs are professional grade. We're talking >90% of the Adobe RGB gamut, uniform backlight, per pixel white level balance, etc ,etc. You've haven't seen "colour" on an LCD unless you've used one of these (or the SpectreView :drool: ).

Not only that, but this monitor on the highest brightness setting WILL BURN YOUR RETINAS. Seriously.

I have 3 of the 2690s, and they are handsdown some of the best displays I've used to date. Both for professional work, and gaming :).

I don't know if anyone here knows this, but on this page you can find out the model you are interested in, enter it in the search box, and get the exact details of that particular monitor. For instance ...

* Samsung 205BW (widescreen) has a 20 inch 6 ms TN panel.
* Dell 2007FPW (widescreen) has a 20 inch 8 ms (g2g) S-IPS (LG.Philips LM201W01) panel.
* Samsung 215TW (widescreen) has a 21 inch 8 ms (g2g) S-PVA (Samsung LTM210M2) panel.
* Dell 2408WFP (widescreen) has a 24 inch 6 ms (g2g) S-PVA (Samsung) panel.

Back