Diskless Folding Guide - [H]

EvilAlchemist

2[H]4U
This article is a setup guide for NotFred’s Folding @ Home CD.

Folding@Home CD Generator:
http://reilly.homeip.net/folding/cd.html

Requirements
  • Computer w/ CD-ROM
  • Network Connection:
  • USB Flash Drive (64MB or Higher) (Optional)

Program / System can run headless
  • No Video Card Required for operation
    (Unless motherboard requires – older systems only)
  • No Mouse / Keyboard Required
  • No Hard Drive

Step One : Configure and Download the CD

Using the link above, you will be taken to the page that allows you to configure your personalized F@H Boot CD. Is will download as a 16MB ISO.

Configuration Options:

Username: - (Insert Folding Name Here)

Team: - ( 33)

Big Work Units: - (Same as in normal client)

Remote Reboot: - Allows users to reboot system from across network

SMP instance per: 4 CPUs / 2 CPUs : Allow quad cores to run 2 SMP clients.

Console blank time: Blanks screen to prevent burn in.

Backup interval – Time between Backups to USB / Network

*This program will back up the work unit to a USB Flash Stick at the interval you specify. This is automatic and required no user input.
If the computer is turned off, and then back on, it will resume the WU at the point of the last backup.
The program support up to two USB drives. Minimum size is 64MB (1GB+ is better)
(At current time SMP does not clean all files so drive will fill up)
Install to USB drives on boot – Allows boot of USB drive if hardware support it

*This feature will copy all files from the CD to the USB drive on the first boot, making the USB drive bootable. Then the cd-rom can be removed, and the computer will boot from then on off the USB drive. Some hardware does not support this and I do not use this feature. Also, Usb drive preformace is an issue. Some large work units may take up to 30 seconds to write files to drive slowing down folding preformance.

Step Two

You will need to verify that your bios is configured to boot from cd-rom (most are)
If not, go to the boot order and change this (Video card required for this part only - can be removed afterwards)

Step Three

Put the CD – in the computers drive and turn it on…..

Now I know what some of you are thinking .. what's next ......... nothing .....

Once the computer has booted, It will connect to F@H, download the core and get to work.
You can go from Download, to Burn, to Folding in under 2 min. Lot easier then installing XP or Vista.

Q&A

What client will it use?
If you have a single core - It will run the Standard Console
If you have a dual core (non x86_64) - It will run 2 x Standard Console
If you have a dual / quad core (x86_64) - It will run the SMP Console

Can I force it to run two Standard Clients instead of SMP?
Yes, If you have a dual core cpu and wish to run one console per core of the standard client,
You will need to modify the isolinux.cfg file inside the ISO

PROMPT 1
DEFAULT fold
DEFAULT64 fold64
TIMEOUT 150
DISPLAY fold.txt

DEFAULT64 fold64
You will need to delete this line from the file and resave the file inside the ISO

How do I monitor my Clients?

The CD has build in support for SMB. (Linux Version of File Sharing)
The CD Generator Page has the Following Options:
Windows Networking:
Enabled - Browsing Disabled - Disabled

You can also specify what workgorup you want the system under using "Windows Networking Workgroup" field.

Your computers name will be Fold-(Last 4 of your network’s card MAC Address)
GuideNetwork.gif

How can you check the Work Progress?
Type in the IP Address of the diskless machine into IE / Firefox
This will give you easy access to the Unit.txt and Fahlog.txt files.

The diskless folder will use the first available IP number unless you specify an ip on the cd generator page.
For most users is will be between 192.168.1.100 <---> 192.168.1.110

(This will very by home network setup)
GuideWeb.gif

*Note - Back-up of WU is not the USB Thumbdrive Back-up. This allows you to download a copy of the WU files to the local machine.

What about using Fahmon?

Direct Fahmon to the \etc\folding\1 directory on your diskless folder

GuideFahMon.gif

Here is what Mine looks like
\\Fold-5f3a\C\etc\folding\1

If I do have a video card / monitor what will be shown?

You will see the system boot, load F@H then nothing but a blinking cursor.
It will display your system's IP address and processor info if you would like to know this information.

Why don't you use the USB Drive Boot?

Some users might like this option. I find it easier to burn cd's. I also like having the flash drive do nothing but contain the backups.
This is purely a user preference. Additionally, some hardware has conflicts with USB boot. CD ROM boot works very well and reliably.

This program does have some more network options in regards to ipconfig and backup but are not necessary

Program Site: http://reilly.homeip.net/folding/
Tracker: http://sourceforge.net/projects/foldingcd/
Authur: NotFred

Nice guide.

You need to add ..........

You can also run this inside a VM.
That way you can have two SMP clients on one Quad box.

Luck ............ :D

I shot down the sticky request but I asked that someone update the [H]orde central with new infos or make a new [H]orde Guides sticky with the various guides like Tigerbiten's guide to VM setup and this one.

I shot down the sticky request but I asked that someone update the [H]orde central with new infos or make a new [H]orde Guides sticky with the various guides like Tigerbiten's guide to VM setup and this one.

That would work... I just think that there may be members here that might find this guide helpful... I could have had my AMD box up and folding six months ago had I known about this...

Ok.

Make a new VM.
Point the CD drive at notfreds Linux.iso
Start it.

Thats it ........... :cool:

I'm not sure if it will save any check points, etc so that it doesn't restarts from frame 0.
But it is a quick install.

Luck ............. :D

Just throwing out an IDEA... maybe throw in some TFTP in there... if you have it running on any computer on the network it will save all the data from any headless system including those VM Wares... keeps you from needing any kind of storage on the folders... that's how my farms roll :cool:

Is there any way to get this to run two SMP clients? By the weekend I should have both of my dual quad machines ready to go to work for the cause.

Is there any way to get this to run two SMP clients? By the weekend I should have both of my dual quad machines ready to go to work for the cause.

Per notfred's notes, it will automagically run one SMP client for every 4 logical cores it finds.

Just throwing out an IDEA... maybe throw in some TFTP in there... if you have it running on any computer on the network it will save all the data from any headless system including those VM Wares... keeps you from needing any kind of storage on the folders... that's how my farms roll :cool:

I was thinking about that but that is one thing that confused the crap out of me when i first started. I think it is more important to give users easy and quick setup's so they can get out and fold. Later on, when they have time, they can research TFTP.

Thanks for the link. This made it really easy to get a few more boxen up and running.

Hey folks...

I know you all are kinda new and stuff. ;)...but there's a place on hardfolding.com to put this kind of thing. Just PM KingN. He loves updating the website.

Then you can link to the guide whenever you want. Thought you might like to know. :p

BTW, nice guide. Thanks.

i think that this thread should be a sticky

or perhaps merge all the Folding Guides into one big sticky thread :)

The website seems to be down now? Is there any other way to get a hold of of the files?

The website seems to be down now? Is there any other way to get a hold of of the files?

There's nothing posted at NotFred's home forum regarding this. I'll shoot over and ask.

2.png

I just checked it a second ago and seems to be up.

He hosts his files on his server , so if his internet goes down, so does the server.

Back