Yama's 6GHz = <$200 folding slave!

Yamaki

Gawd
Behold! Due to advances in science, technology, pricing, and my free time, the sub-$200 folding slave is born!

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-73VM-S2 - $57 @ Mwave
CPU: E2160 @ 2.6-3GHz [stock cooler] - $69 @ Mwave
RAM: 512MB Kingston PC6400 - $14 @ Newegg
Case & PSU: Foxconn Mini-Tower w/ 300W PSU - $29 AR @ Newegg
Case & PSU [LIMITED TIME - Ends 2/6/08] Sexy Antec case w/ 380W Earthwatts PSU - $29 AR @ Zipzoomfly
Disk: Kingston DataTraveler 1GB - $7.50 @ Newegg

TOTAL: $176.50!!!
$190.45 if you go all newegg.
Maybe add $5-6 for a couple case fans.

Why?
Mobo: High-rated on egg, cheap. Supports 1333FSB...onboard video.
CPU: Great overclocker for the price, good stock HSF.
RAM: Cheap, good quality, no need for more.
Case & PSU: High rated on egg. Tool-free. Cheap. Quality PSU.
Disk: Quality, price. Uses WAY less power than CD-ROM, easy to setup, silent.

EDIT: Super Saver
CPU: E1200 @ 2.4-3GHz [stock cooler] - $51.50 @ Mwave (-$17.50)
RAM: 512MB Kingston PC4200 - $11 @ Newegg (-$3)
TOTAL: $156!

Super Super Saver
CPU: Same as above @ 1.6-2.2GHz
Mobo: ASUS P5VD2-VM SE - $47 @ Newegg (-$10)
Case: None (-$30)
PSU: Rosewill RV300 - $12 @ Newegg (+$12)
Disk: Ridata 128MB - $4 @ Mwave (-$3.50)
TOTAL: $125.50!

KEEP IN MIND: As price goes down, quality goes down!

Thoughts? :D

Enjoy,

-Yamaki

(P.S. - I'm buying two of these as soon as my paypal transfer completes on wednesday)

That's pretty cool. Good idea with the flash drive for the drive.

Will it be running Windows XP?

Sounds awesome! Got a link to the distro? I think I might change the case (kinda fugly) but a very good build!

If you replaced the proc with a Q6600 you'd be able to do about 4k PPD (with a good OC) for less than $200 more. Seems like it'd be worth it in the PPD per $ area.

If you replaced the proc with a Q6600 you'd be able to do about 4k PPD (with a good OC) for less than $200 more. Seems like it'd be worth it in the PPD per $ area.

That would end up costing more. It would be smart to get a better PSU for a Q6600, so that's about $20-30 extra since the case and cpu were together. The Q6600 doesn't OC well without a good cooler, so add $30. You'd need a better mobo, so add $30 Not to mention that it performs much better on double VM, and I don't think that would easily fit on the flash drive (plus you'd need a monitor to configure it).

All in all, it's either 3200PPD for $350 (my setup) or 4000PPD for $~410-450 (your setup). You could argue that the Q6600 uses less power, which is probably true. Either way, I prefer mine due to the simplicity, the ability to buy only one (if you have a low budget), and the satisfaction of having more computers! :D

-Yama

I was going by the "at least 1.5K" that you'd quoted before. I didn't read that as 3K +.

My setup costs $350 for 2, that's the point. 2x >1500 comes to around 1600PPD each or 3200PPD total, versus 4000PPD for one of yours.

Gotcha. Fair enough, assuming the $'s you added for better parts for the Q is accurate (though that does also give you the higher quality parts; perhaps something to consider?). Either way, I'll concede the point.

Gotcha. Fair enough, assuming the $'s you added for better parts for the Q is accurate (though that does also give you the higher quality parts; perhaps something to consider?). Either way, I'll concede the point.

I think the prices are accurate. Both of the setups are very good though. In terms of PPD/$ (assuming yours is $430):

4000PPD/$430 = 9.30PPD/$
3200PPD/$350 = 9.14PPD/$

Yours is a better value, but I'm sticking to mine for the satisfaction of having two over one and the ease of setup. It all boils down to personal choice really. :)

You also need to add in the ongoing cost of running the farm.

Running 2x 65W CPU's vs 1x 95W CPU means your going to be useing 1/3 more power.
With a small farm of only 1 or 2 boxen thats ok.
With a big farm of +10 boxen that add up.
Also the price difference of $40-80 will be knocked down a lot or even cancelled out. if you take the cost of power for a couple of years into account.

I limit myself to drawing 2 kW/h for my farm.
If the whole boxen draws 50% more than the CPU does then .........

2,000 / (65 x 1.5) = 20 computers.
20 x 1,600 = 32k PpD.

2,000 / (95 x 1.5) = 14 computers.
14 x 4,000 = 56k PpD.

A lot more PpD for the same power draw.
Quads are more expensive to set up than Duals but once you start hitting you power limit the difference adds up.

Just throwing my 0.02p worth in .......... :p

Luck ........... :D

Tigerbiten, you indeed have a good point. The only difference here is that my parents will be paying for the power. ;)

Does anyone have any concrete data on how well the 1MB dual cores fold? I know there's a penalty for going to 2MB from 4MB.. I'm curious to see what the penalty is for going to 1MB, and whether or not that plays a significant role in PPD calculations which may or may not be accurate in here.

I use the info from FahInfo for all my calculations.

For the common protiens at the moment an Allendale will fold a few % slower than a Conroe.
Taking that a Kentfeild is almost equal two Conroes if running two clients in VM so use the Allendale figure.
p2605:- 324 PpDpGhz vs 334 PpDpGhz.
p2653:- 290 PpDpGhz vs 316 PpDpGhz.
For the rarer ones the gap can be a lot bigger.
p2608:- 150 PpDpGhz vs 211 PpDpGhz.

Allendale @2.6 Ghz = 2.6 x 2 x 324 = 1,685 PpD.
Kentfield @3.2 Ghz = 3.2 x 2 x 324 x 2 = 4,147 PpD.

So both 1,600 & 4,000 PpD are not far off.

Luck ......... :D

I just got wiffy approval! New E2160 up and running in a week.

Nice system, let me know how the case is. I was planning on getting a few of those for my linux router and future folding machines. Have fun setting them up!

Well..... here is how it came together.

E2160, 512 RAM and HSF for $114 shipped from Newegg

MSI 945GCM5-F V2 mobo from Amazon $63 w/ free shipping!
- $50 giftcard redeemed from Credit Card
=$13 for mobo

Old case / PSU laying around the house, FREE!

Total cost 127 bucks, no rebates, and hopefully 3ghz X2 for teh [H]ord!

The sad thing is, besides the low RAM, this system might be faster than my main rig.

Well..... here is how it came together.

E2160, 512 RAM and HSF for $114 shipped from Newegg

MSI 945GCM5-F V2 mobo from Amazon $63 w/ free shipping!
- $50 giftcard redeemed from Credit Card
=$13 for mobo

Old case / PSU laying around the house, FREE!

Total cost 127 bucks, no rebates, and hopefully 3ghz X2 for teh [H]ord!

That's great! I'm glad I inspired someone to actually do this.

As I've said numerous times, I'm going to be ordering two on wednesday. I can't wait! :)

I can put together more if some one wants to buy 2 old laptops for cheep from me, and or a HP pocket PC. :D

I want to see how fast this thing is..... I might end up making it my main rig :D

Yes! Get that old stuff out the door so you can build another.

Also, I see you copied my siggy...touche!

-Yama

Does anyone have any concrete data on how well the 1MB dual cores fold? I know there's a penalty for going to 2MB from 4MB.. I'm curious to see what the penalty is for going to 1MB, and whether or not that plays a significant role in PPD calculations which may or may not be accurate in here.

I have a Few E2140's Folding - Linux 64 bit - 1450+/- PPD

I have a Few E2140's Folding - Linux 64 bit - 1450+/- PPD

Just put together my 2160 and I'm getting 1400 ppd est.

How far do you have thoes OC-ed?

I have mine at 1.37v..... maybe I should take it higher ....... :evil:

Just put together my 2160 and I'm getting 1400 ppd est.

How far do you have thoes OC-ed?

I have mine at 1.37v..... maybe I should take it higher ....... :evil:

What OS is this on? You should be getting more.

I've seen people doing 3ghz on stock volts and cooler, but I guess that's just luck. Most of my stuff arrived (building 2 e2160 systems) but I'm still waiting for the cases and flash drives which are in CA.

Let me know how things go!

-Yama

What OS is this on? You should be getting more.

I've seen people doing 3ghz on stock volts and cooler, but I guess that's just luck. Most of my stuff arrived (building 2 e2160 systems) but I'm still waiting for the cases and flash drives which are in CA.

Let me know how things go!

-Yama

I'm running the system naked on my desk with the F@H CD, no OS. I only have 512 mb ram, but I'd think that was enough.
It's taking 18min / %

I can get 2.7ghz without upping volts, but F@H throws errors if I don't up the volts @ 3ghz. From what I've seen anything under 1.4 is safe, y/n?

I guess we can have out own little scrapp fight down here in the sub 100k area :D

You going to put together one of sub $200 folding slave? (or have you already?)

I'm running the system naked on my desk with the F@H CD, no OS. I only have 512 mb ram, but I'd think that was enough.
It's taking 18min / %

I can get 2.7ghz without upping volts, but F@H throws errors if I don't up the volts @ 3ghz. From what I've seen anything under 1.4 is safe, y/n?

IIRC, the max voltage for C2D CPUs is 1.5V when accounting for voltage spikes and the like. So pump up the voltage!

Back