Cannot adjust XFX 8800GT fan speed. Help! =(

Sherlock2101

Weaksauce
Hello guys.

I really need your help.
Well, I bought XFX 8800GT Video Card from newegg recently and received it yesterday.
When I turned on the computer, the gpu fan sound quite loud - so I'm suspecting that it's
running at 100% speed. I tried adjusting the fan speed using ntune & rivaturner... but
there's no luck ( meaning I don't see any changes. ) Is there any way for me to fix this
problem? I can't stand it if it's this loud all the time... Its getting on my nerves. =/

I posted a thread about this exact thing last week. I bought a XFX 8800GT Alpha Dog Edition card from NewEgg and it was doing the exact same thing. Once I pulled the cooling assembly off the card, I was able to see that the wires to enable fan speed monitoring and adjustment were not connected, like so:

_DSC0774.jpg

XFX tech support told me that some of these cards made like this. I decided to just install a Zalman VF1000 cooler on mine.

My guess is to prevent the card from overheating because the BIOS would otherwise not spin the fan fast enough.

Anytime you guys have issues like this feel free to shoot me a PM and I can help resolve it. BTW how are the temps with the Zalman installed?

Anytime you guys have issues like this feel free to shoot me a PM and I can help resolve it.
I just wanted a new cooling assembly sent to me, but couldn't that arranged without an RMA. I'll probably just get a couple lengths of cable and some connectors and wire it up myself.

BTW how are the temps with the Zalman installed?
Never gets above 50°C.

By the way, this is Sherlock2101 who posted the thread... ( that's my brother's username
but I decided to sign up for my own username... )

I talked to one of the tech support guy and he told me to RMA the card. I asked him if he knew
what the problem was and he was like " I don't know... " - I was expecting some sort
of an acceptable answer to my question since I thought they're knowledgeable - but I guess the guy
who I talked to wasn't. :rolleyes:

well... thats one way to keep the card cool - that is if you can survive with the sound...
i have my evga running at 90% fan, and a 10" fan spinning at 4k rpm blowing over my mobo..

i dont hear anything with my headset on :)

Back