ASUS P5k Won't Boot - Resolution Provided

Taiguy

n00b
Alright, so this past fall I put together a new box after 4 years of not being able to play any of the latest games.

quad core q6600
asus p5k deluxe
crucial ballistic 4gb (4x1) pc2-8500

Everything had been chugging along smoothly until last thursday when there was a power failure overnight. I woke up the next morning to have no display coming from the computer. After reseting, power cycling, and fiddling with the PSU - I had to go leave for a weekend snowboarding excursion.

Hitting the power would give me lights, fans, and the hard disk would spin up - but no beep, or display coming out.

I tried everything I could think of to fix this. None of it worked.

Google pointed me to an old thread on Tom's Hardware where some guys had the same exact problem I was having.

The solution called for replacing the RAM with a single stick of something slower (handily borrowed from a friend). This allowed me to POST and then reset. Placing my RAM back in also allowed for a successful POST/boot afterwards.

What an esoteric remedy... Can anybody explain this?

I'm guessing the power failure caused your DRAM settings to get screwed up. Your ballistix need HIGH voltage. So, using a lower voltage stick, the system can POST, then you can change the voltage to the needed value and swap in your ballistix. Thats some overkill ram for that setup, btw -- but still nice, lol.

Back