Good News, P6N SLI + e8400

op1e

n00b
Running Orthos right now, finding proper vcore for stock stability. At bios default it failed instantly. Ran it overnight with a bump in voltage and failed after 2 hours. Bumped up to 1.16 and been priming for 20 mins now, all good so far. Major improvement over e4300@ 3.2 at stock speeds (3x cache). Bios screen said "333 mhz cpu detected, this processor not supported and will blah blah yada yada, continue to boot at 200 mhz?". This is funny, because it said the opposite on my e4300. "200 mhz cpu detected, this processor is not supported...". According to these boot screens, only 1066 are supported, lol.

Wish me luck, hope to hit 4ghz tonight.

I'll never get enough FSB outta this board to get that far. 440-460 is the norm for 680/650i. I'll be very happy with 4.1. Who knows, maybe I get lucky. I've seen the Asus 650i get to 470 or so. I've got the stock intel fan rigged over my northbridge and ram. Still has the crappy NB heatsink though.

445X9 1.41 (1.38 droop) 1.5v NB 1.5v SB 8% FSB/VTT voltage = 4ghz!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Hi,

I am using the P6N SLI with an E6400 and bought now a E8400 CPU. Before I flashed my BIOS to 2.5 (got it from the MSI Customer Service) to be compatible .... but it doesn´t work. As soon as I power on my PC, it shows a black screen, the drive leds are on and I can do nothing, even not the BIOS appears.

Is this the usual behaviour if the BIOS is not compatible with the CPU or is the CPU broken?

Thanks and Regards
Markus

Hi,

I am using the P6N SLI with an E6400 and bought now a E8400 CPU. Before I flashed my BIOS to 2.5 (got it from the MSI Customer Service) to be compatible .... but it doesn´t work. As soon as I power on my PC, it shows a black screen, the drive leds are on and I can do nothing, even not the BIOS appears.

Is this the usual behaviour if the BIOS is not compatible with the CPU or is the CPU broken?

Thanks and Regards
Markus

I have the exact same problem, I contacted MSI and I'm waiting for the answer.
For some stupid reason the official MSI website says that e8400 is compatible with P6N SLI FI... If they don't fix the issue in a timely manner, I'm switching motherboards.

Same problem here. I'm waiting for a reply from MSI, lets see what they got to say for this. As said, according MSI, that mobo should support E8400. That was the whole reason why I bought E8400 instead of Q6600.

Well Ive tried bios 2.5 on my SLI-FI with my e3110 and its a no go for me either . I swapped out my e6420 and q6600 a few times in between just to make sure bios 2.5 was working fine , and both of those booted/worked fine . So it seems that MSI still does not have a working 45nm bios for the Plat or FI . Iam not holding my breath atm for MSI to get a working one either . Most people here and at other forums are reporting the same .

If my q6600 was not running pretty nicely on this board , I'd have gone with another brand/chipset by now . As it stands with the newer Intel pin/format comming later this year , I cant see investing in a new board at this time just to run my e3110 . Guess I 'll save the $$$ and grab another GT for SLi then . :p

Sad that MSI missed the mark on the bios , as it will make me very leary to go with MSI next time around .

MAKE SURE YOU SET SYSTEM CLOCK MODE TO MANUAL in BIOS when you follow these instructions at http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.ph...postcount=2343 otherwise it wont be stable ..my machine kept locking up after 24hrs or so. I switched this bios setting to manual and my machine runs solid now. here is a pic of what your bios should look similar to for this to work http://www.tweaktown.com/popImg.php?img=m650l_11.JPG (obviously your mhz and cpu ratio might be different #s)

Good Luck and dont ever let someone tell you the P6N SLI wont work with the E8400!

Back