Good quiet affordable, e8400 heat sink?

eddie500

Gawd
I need a good, quiet and affordable e8400 heatsink that will allow me at least 3.6ghz with the possibility of going higher.

What is the recommended heatsink? What is the recommended heatsink for quiet and affordable? I am not sure if 2 or 3 degrees celcius is worth it for a loud and expensive heat sink.

Thermalright Ultra-120 or Ultra-120 Extreme are excellent options, if a bit pricier.

I think the Zalmans are overpriced for mediocre performance.

$35 - Scythe SCNJ-1100P Ninja Plus Rev.B CPU HSF (optional $7 Thermalright LGA775 Bolt-Thru-Kit; recommended if using w/ quadcore)
$45 - Tuniq Tower 120 CPU HSF
$46 - Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU HS + FBA09A12M - Z ($3)
$50 - ZEROtherm Nirvana NV120 120mm 2-ball UFO Bearing / Transparent CPU Cooler ($10 MIR)
$55 - Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme CPU HS + Scythe S-Flex Fan SFF21E ($15)

The best, of course, is the Ultra120 extreme, but the rest aren't far behind. My personal recommendation goes to the Ultima90, since it performs as good as the other coolers but its smaller, lighter, and easier to install.

I'm running a Coolermaster TX2. During the holidays, they were $2 after rebate. It's taken me to 3.9GHz now. Though my load temps are at 67°. I'm hoping that it just needs to be reseated. Only downside--it's a 92mm fan, so the noise is noticeable, though it's quiter and lower pitched than an 80mm fan.

i just built a computer and got the e8400 with the thermalright true + scythe s-flex 120mm fan.

i would say this setup is very very quiet.

the only problem with the thermalright true is that its not fully secure. when i was putting my fan onto the wired clips, the entire heatsink tilted to the side. i think i put too much thermalpaste, but i could be wrong.

i just built a computer and got the e8400 with the thermalright true + scythe s-flex 120mm fan.

i would say this setup is very very quiet.

the only problem with the thermalright true is that its not fully secure. when i was putting my fan onto the wired clips, the entire heatsink tilted to the side. i think i put too much thermalpaste, but i could be wrong.

Did the heatsink tilt, or did the motherboard bend? Because mine bends the motherboard noticeable when pressed on, but it still makes tight contact with the chip.

I got the thermalright Ultra 90 for the first time.
amazed at the size of it and all the pieces that come with it to attach it
to the processor. daunting.

But now that I have it on ....best move I ever made. SOOOO quiet.

really nice. somebody here recommended it to me and I say thumbs up and thanks.

I got the thermalright Ultra 90 for the first time.
amazed at the size of it and all the pieces that come with it to attach it
to the processor. daunting.

But now that I have it on ....best move I ever made. SOOOO quiet.

really nice. somebody here recommended it to me and I say thumbs up and thanks.

Ultra90 or Ultima90? The Ultra is the old model, while the Ultima is the newer, better model.

Will most of these Heatsinks fit in a standard tower?? I see that most cases are about 200mm wide.

I also have a case with a 200mm fan on the side, so that would be 200mm wide case - 25cm for side cpu fan - 5-10mm for motherboard = 165mm high heat sink, most of those listed above easily are that high.

Will most of these Heatsinks fit in a standard tower?? I see that most cases are about 200mm wide.

I also have a case with a 200mm fan on the side, so that would be 200mm wide case - 25cm for side cpu fan - 5-10mm for motherboard = 165mm high heat sink, most of those listed above easily are that high.

What case do you have and what cooler do you plan on using?

Did the heatsink tilt, or did the motherboard bend? Because mine bends the motherboard noticeable when pressed on, but it still makes tight contact with the chip.

oh no, the motherboard is completely fine. when i was putting on my scythe fan, the actual heatsink "glided" to the left. everything is still flush, but looking directly at the motherboard, the heatsink isnt straight anymore.

im assuming its because i put a little too much thermalpaste.

Back