Jon855 ---- Hard DC'er of the Month --- January 2008 --- interview

Pocatello

DC Moderator and [H]ard DCOTM x6
Staff member

Jon855 — — HARD DC'er of the Month — — January 2008

Please join me, Pocatello, in congratulating Jon855 for being selected as the [H]ard DC’er of the month for January 2008. This is quite an honor when you consider that the [H]orde has over 1,150 active folders. Jon855 is currently ranked #121 on our team, and he has 1.1 million points.
He is ranked #1,625 worldwide.

In October of 2007 he produced about 281,000 points, while in December of 2007 he produced 230,000 points. In January of 2008 he produced 157,000 points.

And he is progressing up the ranks of our team. Within two months he will jump up to spot #97 on our team with 1.46 million points.

Basic Information:

How many F@H points do you have?

Currently 1,100,000 points.

How about United Devices and WCG points?

I never had been involved with WCG, however, I have been involved with UD in the past. I have not been involved with them for more than two years. UD was the first DC project I've tried besides SETI.

How many boxen do you have? Break this number down between borgs and your personal machines.

Personal:
C2Q w/ SMP for about 3k PPD

Borgs:
18 Borgs in total sorted as followed;
17x C2D w/ 2x reg clients (Lab at a school)
1x dual core something at a friend's house

When did you start folding? What kind of project or projects did you participate in?

Well I started a long time ago with SETI, never really gotten into it, this was maybe at least ten years ago. Not too long after that I got into UD, I remained involved with UD for several months at a time. I lost interest in UD. It was not until a long time later when I got into F@H, at its early stages, I was just an on and off user... It was not until nearly two years ago until I folded regularly.

When did you start folding for the [H]orde?

If I recalled correctly, it was sometimes around my birthday in August 2006 when I started folding for Team 33.

What is your average F@H points per month?

Well, according to HardFolding, I do about 130k per month.

Did you contribute to United Devices?

Yes, a long time ago.

How about WCG?

Nope.

Personal Information:

Name:

Jonathan M

Salem, Oregon
Currently in Rochester, New York

Student

Hobbies:

Folding, Hunting, LAN, I don't know. Ask me again in a year or two, by then hopefully I'll have a better hobby like a woman.

What is your [H]ard OCP username? What is the meaning or significance of your [H]ardOCP username, if any?

Jon855 = Jon - my name, and the numbers represent the count of characters in my first, middle and last name.

Want to link to a picture of yourself?

Sure, I'll have to dig around for a decent one. I'll get back to you on that.

On to the interview:

Congratulations on being chosen the [H]ard DC'er for the month. How does it feel to be chosen by your peers for such a prestigious award?

Well, it feels good. It's always good to be recognized by your fellow peers. I guess the third time's a charm, considering I've been nominated for three months in a row. Sorry BLUEFISH44 :D

Why do you think you were chosen?

Personally I think it has a lot to do with that unknown folder interview which I had conducted a while ago. And also for my terrible smackdown talking and utterly bad borg rousing talk. I'm still working on it guys.

Why do you participate in Distributed Computing?

I just partake in it because it's worthwhile and... well, in light of more recent events which had happened in my family, I've more the reason to contribute my time to the project.

If DC’ing could find a cure for just one disease tomorrow, which one would it be and why?

I cannot weight one against others, any cure is better than none.

What would you like the [H]orde to know about you that might surprise them?

Well, I'm not sure if all knows this already but I'm deaf myself. And the fact that I've been in college for a stinky five years, I'm about to get a crappy Associate Degree... Changing majors too many time is bad.

Where do you see your DC’ing activities in the next year or two?

That's really hard to say, when summer nears, it's very likely I'll lose my borgs... and well I guess I'll just have to do what I can. But I can say this, I do want a farm later down the road.

Have you been successful borging? If so, what kind of borging worked for you? (For example, friends, family, and/or work?)

The majority of my borgs are in a lab at a school. 17 out of 18 are in the lab. Well school seems to be the most stable portion of my contribution when compared to my friends, they are random to say at the least. Hell, every bit helps.

Where do you see the [H]ard DC sub-forum in the near future? Long term?

I think we're going to be seeing some more influx of new folders, returning folders in the near future. Long term, I like it as it is already though I would like to see [H] to back it more often than just say yeah we've got a team and leave it sitting in the corner.

Any ideas on improving the [H]ard DC sub-forum, or suggestions or improvements for our Team?

Nothing much, and if you guys from MPC are reading this, you're on the wrong team.

Is there anything else you would like to add?

Eh... I'm looking for a cooperative / perm work :D I guess nothing else really.

Did I forget to ask you anything?

Not that I can think of.

Can you give us an update on the lab borging? How many machines? Were you able to load any of the SMP clients on the boxen?

Well, I have asked a lab manager for a different lab, he hasn't given me a response as to what his decision is. I'll have to confront him nicely and get it started. Not much I can do if he says no. All of the labs are running WinXP so I'm not too keen on getting SMP on there for two reasons: beta clients and the client doesn't behave well on XP when there's network issues. I will try to replace my existing borgs from regular clients to SMP whenever I can.

On behalf of the [H]ard [H]orde, I thank you as well for your contributions to this team and I thank you for your time to talk about it. Keep on folding! Fold on For The Win!

Fold on For The Cure!

For the [H]orde!

Congratulations once again for being chosen as the [H]ard DC'er of the month.

.:D

Any ideas on improving the [H]ard DC sub-forum, or suggestions or improvements for our Team?

Nothing much, and if you guys from MPC are reading this, you're on the wrong team.

Nice. :p Congrats Jon855!

Congrats Jon855, well deserved for all you do here.

A big pat on the back from me as well. I used to do the genome project years ago, but have just really started with the [H]Folding project this past weekend. You guys are all inspirational to me, and I hope that all this folding and research really pays off in the future for everyone.

Ax

Congratulations again and great interview :) This one is a success compared to your attempts with BLUEFISH44 :D:D

Congratulations Jon.... well deserved.

Nice interview and good luck with your borg!

Thanks for the good read guys,
Congratulations to you Jon855, and thanks to Pocatello for putting it all together.

yeah right, just get a women that dosen't fold for MPC and get her comps folding for the 33

Congratulations Jon!! A great honor truly merited.

Actually, due to the woman I decided to start messing around with lately my main system has been more productive in regards to folding. Then again, she's been keeping me busy and I haven't had a lot of time to play video games lately. :D

You gotta watch 'em though. If you're not careful they'll suck your wallet dry which obviously means you won't have money to build more machines. :(

My woman has money of her own so I don't have to worry about her grabbing for mine. :)

Back