CoD4 stuttering problem

thehum

Weaksauce
This is a problem on a friend's newly built machine. Single player runs great and smooth but multiplayer runs like crap. basically, we open multiplayer and the menu lags. In game frames will stutter and skip, just like in the menu. Even when we start our own server. with nobody on it.

Here's what I've tried:
The microsoft multicore gaming patch. This fixed it. But for whatever reason he uninstalled cod4 and after reinstalling the problem came back. So, after checking the catalyst settings, I disabled Catalyst AI and it ran much smoother, but still stutters, and it's very annoying. Other games run fine. It's just CoD4 multiplayer. And it has nothing to do with internet connection because the menus stutter too.

Any ideas? Thanks.

his rig:
XP pro sp2 updated
Quad Core 2.4ghz
P5NE-SLI
ATI HD5870

ah right he's got 2 sticks (1gb each) of corsair pc6400. Havn't played around with the config yet though.

Check Rage3D/AMD/ATi sites to see if a hotfix driver has been released?

i am having this same problem and its keeping me from playing MP!! SP plays fine, and its not a setting thing because i put everything on low 640x480 same problem. the only way i can get MP to play smoothly is if i reboot the machine and start the game.

It might be a connection issue, has he optimised his settings properly?

not a connection problem, it lags on the menu. updated PB and here is the PB log:

Starting PunkBuster Service Tests (v0.986) (02/28/08 17:29:13)
Checking OS
Windows XP (build 2600, Service Pack 2) 32-bit
Checking PnkBstrA service status RUNNING
Checking PnkBstrA Version OK (1029)
Extracting "PnkBstrB.exe" to:
"C:\Documents and Settings\Rick\Application Data\PnkBstrB.exe"
OK
Checking firewall settings OFF
Is PnkBstrA explicitly allowed?
C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrA.exe NO
Is PnkBstrB explicitly allowed?
C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrB.exe NO
Checking if PnkBstrB is running NOT RUNNING
Getting port for PnkBstrA OK (44301)
Opening socket for packet send OK
Sending version packet to PnkBstrA SENT
Receiving version from PnkBstrA OK
Received 6 bytes from 127.0.0.1:44301
Response = 7062 (ms) Version = v1029
Getting PnkBstrB install instance OK
Sending start packet to PnkBstrA SENT
Waiting for packet from PnkBstrA OK
Received 3 bytes from 127.0.0.1:44301
Response = 13968 (ms) PnkBstrB started.
Load SUCCESSFUL.
Watching for PnkBstrB instance change (2) CHANGED (3)
Getting port for PnkBstrB OK (45301)
Sending version packet to PnkBstrB SENT
Receiving version from PnkBstrB OK
Received 5 bytes from 127.0.0.1:45301
Response = 3000 (ms) Version = 1806
Checking PnkBstrK driver status NOT FOUND
Extracting new PnkBstrK to:
"C:\Documents and Settings\Rick\Application Data\PnkBstrK.sys"
OK
Sending load packet to PnkBstrB SENT
Checking PnkBstrK driver status RUNNING
Stopping PnkBstrK STOPPED
Deleting PnkBstrK OK
Checking PnkBstrK driver status DELETED
Manually stopping PnkBstrB STOPPED
Removing test PnkBstrB file OK

----------------------------------
Tests finished.
i dont know what else to do

Yea, only Athlons X2s require a dual core patch. Intel works fine automatically, I have a Q6600 and no stuttering.

Try "/seta pb_sleep 500", It might be Punkbuster scanning everything too often.

@Shiznit: Do I type that command in the console in-game? And what is the default setting just in case I need to set it back. Thanks.

@Shiznit: Do I type that command in the console in-game? And what is the default setting just in case I need to set it back. Thanks.

Yes, you just open up console once you open up the game. As for default, sorry, not too sure. A friend of mine gave me that same command and cod4 has run smoother for me.

Hmm.. video driver issue? Maybe try an older driver? Or possibly a beta released one? Hope you guys find a fix.

It doesnt matter what default is, you want it at 500 regardless, it's perfectly legal.

Will the "/seta pb_sleep 500" command write it to the config file so it remembers this setting or do I have to type this every time before I play?

itzhobbies, when you try it, please report back, i want to see if it works

Hey Dethman, so I made a couple the changes listed in this thread as well as another thread on the CharlieOscarDelta site. I've experienced almost no stutters...well once the whole time I've played this weekend. The changes I made seem to have helped not only the ping but correcting the stuttering issue.

SDGHOSTMAN recommended these changes on the CharlieOscarDelta site:

First, you should make a backup of your original config file.

Below is the standard folder where your multiplayer config file is located:

My Computer
Local Disk (C) for most people
Program Files
Activision
Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare
Players
Profiles
"Name" (Your player name)
config_mp.cfg (open in wordpad)

Change the following

seta cg_drawFPS "1"
seta cg_drawLagometer "1"
seta cl_maxpackets "100"
seta com_hunkMegs "512" - or half your RAM
seta com_maxfps "125" - set to "333" for high end cards
seta rate "25000"
seta snaps "30"
seta cl_packetdup "0"
seta r_gpusync "0"

(Save)

Also, I have my config file write protected so no permanent config file changes can be made without me doing them manually.

Give it a try, I did and so far everything seems a-ok!

Dont know if you guys know or not but seeming how COD4 is not multithreaded for multicore support. Even though it may run fine you will notice a diffrence with the multithreading enabled. If you do not have a multicore processor do not do this....this is for XP/XP64 users, dont know if Vista will allow it.

Go to the shortcut that was created on the desktop multiplayer. Right click then point to properties. A window should appear giving details about the shortcut. In the target line add +fullproc to the end seperated only by one space....

Example Target: "C:\Program Files\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare\iw3mp.exe" +fullproc

This will enable multithreading in COD4. I knew about this little tweek for other non-multithreaded games and figured it was enable through the machine just as you would set infinity. So my results were staggering to say the least. When a map loads it takes it no more than 2 ms. From launching the game from the shrotcut to getting into a favorite and in server - 5 seconds. So it does have benefits.

IF YOU HAVE NEVER ADDED OR ALTERED THE TARGET LINE IN A SORTCUT, UNSURE IF YOU HAVE A MULTICORE OR SINGLE CORE DO NOT TRY THIS.

Single core PC's will not see a difference. The other 2 suggestions, well, you mess up the line and your shortcut will not find the game and will not launch. Hope this helps anyone out there.

Back