FreeNAS question

Haggles

n00b
If I had a system with one drive with FreeNAS installed, and two other drives in software RAID 1; if I formatted and reinstalled FreeNAS, would it pick up the RAID array and all the content on it.

is the raid 1 software raid using freenas utility? or hardware raid?

if it's software it will work but it won't magically appear, you will need to create new raid1 array with same drives and SAME NAME.

btw you can backup freenas config file, format/reinstall freenas then restore the config. That way all your settings will still be there.

It would be a FreeNAS software RAID.

So in theory I could set everything up, then save a back up of the config file; and if the system drive (not one of the drives in the array) was to die, I could just replace it, reinstall FreeNAS and update with the config file from months ago; and it would find the array and carry of as if nothing had happened.

Thanks

yup exactly like that you restore the config file and everything goes to the way you had it at the time of backup, all drive setups, mount points, usernames passwords, everything

Could anyone out there be so kind as to post a screenshot of FreeNAS's main HTML interface? Is FreeNAS a mini O.S. unto itself?

Very much appreciated...

Andrew D.
www.cdnav.com

Back