Xbox 360 on a 24" LCD

budafied

Gawd
Hey guys,

I'm looking into getting a new monitor. I was considering the 37w3, but its quite a bit out of my range. I run my 360 via VGA cable to my 19" monitor, and it stretches the resolution. I'd like to know a good 24" LCD to use as a pc/360 device. I'd like one that WILL show black bars on the top and bottom to ensure i get true 1080p resolution.

1. What about the westy 2410?

2. DVI, VGA, HDMI, Component? Any i should avoid?

3. Any other suggestions on monitor model/brand?

4. I'd like to keep it under $350 if possible.

I'm very interested in running 360 in 1080p, otherwise i would pick up a cheap 720p TV, so the 1080p is a must in the monitor.

Thanks guys!

I had the Westinghouse 24 inch briefly and hooked my Xbox 360 up to it. It looked good. It scaled to 16:9 mode fine and I got the nice black bars on the top and bottom as I should. Both component and VGA worked at 1080P, but I thought the VGA looked a little better.

Pretty nice monitor. The only reason I didn't keep it is I got two of them with a buzzing noise that bothered me. Some people say they don't have the buzzing, so I guess your experience may vary on that.

I use an NEC LCD24WMCX. It does 16:9 properly over all four inputs (DVI-D, D-SUB, HDMI, Component), and accepts 1080p over Component (that's how my 360's hooked up).

It's a bit pricey at $480, but it's inputs and scaling are worth it. Unfortunately, it's a TN panel with no gloss coating, so the light/dark can be annoying.

I have a Acer P243w 2 ms, No ghosting and it has a Glossy screen Zero Ghosting or Lag input, Plus you can grab them at newegg for $399. Has a Hdmi input whic i have used to play Xbox360 and it looks great. One drawback is that there are no speakers on it.
Pic of Xbox 360 on it

I'm rocking the 2407-HC from Dell, the best of the best IMHO, after trying three others. AVOID THE GATEWAY!

I use the BenQ FP241WZ

IMG_1893.jpg

IMG_1891.jpg

so i take it most people prefer the other brands over the westy?

I've heard some ppl say westy is a low-quality brand. I'm not in this for the beels nad whistles of dell monitors, i just want decent function. but if it costs only like $20 more to get a really nice one over a decent one, i wouldnt pass it up.

should i just wait around until a real good deal pops up on one of these (BenQ, Acer, NEC, etc)?

I have a Acer P243w 2 ms, No ghosting and it has a Glossy screen Zero Ghosting or Lag input, Plus you can grab them at newegg for $399. Has a Hdmi input whic i have used to play Xbox360 and it looks great. One drawback is that there are no speakers on it.
Pic of Xbox 360 on it

Does that monitor scale 1:1? If so it looks like a perfect choise: glossy, hdmi and dvi!

whats the big deal about 1:1 pixel mapping? I'm not even sure what the means lol. Is that what i was referring to above with the black bars in 1080p?

Also, my 360 does not have hdmi (i use VGA), i have a dvi - hdmi cable on the way, so DVI is not necessary on the monitor, but would it be wise to avoid the westy 24" b/c of lack of dvi input, even though i'll have the adapter?

I'm probably gonna wait it out for a deal on the BenQ or look at my local BB for a sale or something (slickdeals.net ftw)

OK, i think i've narrowed it down to the Westy L2410NM and the BenQ G2400W

Any thoughts on which one for my purposes?

Westy has component, VGA, HDMI, no DVI, but i just boguht a DVI-HDMI adapter, so thats fine...

BenQ has VGA, DVI, HDMI, no component

Does component really matter for my purposes? Will 360 look better on VGA than Component?

Which one is better, assuming an equal-ish price???

EDIT: Is 1:1 pixel mapping functional on both, and what does that mean exactly, with regards to 1080p 360 input?

Thanks guys!

so i take it most people prefer the other brands over the westy?

I've heard some ppl say westy is a low-quality brand. I'm not in this for the beels nad whistles of dell monitors, i just want decent function. but if it costs only like $20 more to get a really nice one over a decent one, i wouldnt pass it up.

should i just wait around until a real good deal pops up on one of these (BenQ, Acer, NEC, etc)?

There is a long running thread on the Westy, a lot of good feedback. Overall, most users
are happy with their Westy. The most consistant complaint is the buzzing from the power
inverter when the brightness is turned down. Mine is pretty minor and I barely notice.
However I will say that I wouldn't consider this unit at full price, due to lack of height
adjustment in the stand and the 1-year warranty. When you can get one for less the $400
out the door, then I highly recommend.

well i think i've basically made up my mind

i'll be buying the Westy L2410NM when i get a good deal on it. I would get it from BB if it was in stock at my local one...

I'll be going to BB to see what they got and then waiting it out until antoher sweet deal arises.

Thanks for all the help guys!

i'll be buying the Westy L2410NM when i get a good deal on it. I would get it from BB if it was in stock at my local one...

When you get it, it would be cool to hear your thoughts

A friend was just asking me what 24" he should buy to use with his computer and Xbox 360

Everything.

well i read about 15 pages of the gateway 24" monitor in the thread here on these forums last night and it appears the main issue is backlight bleed so if that's all I can live with it, if it's really bad i'll exchange it at best buy.

i'd be interested to hear what you consider else possibly wrong with it though but just saying everything doesn't really help me out.

well i read about 15 pages of the gateway 24" monitor in the thread here on these forums last night and it appears the main issue is backlight bleed so if that's all I can live with it, if it's really bad i'll exchange it at best buy.

i'd be interested to hear what you consider else possibly wrong with it though but just saying everything doesn't really help me out.

Actually, I didn't have ANY backlight bleed on my FHD2400. The problem was when using the Component or the VGA input, everything was very, very dark. In order for everything to look like a Samsung 245BW at brightness level 50 and contrast level 70, I had to set the Gateway's settings to brightness 100, contrast 98, saturation 90, tint 50. Then the colors were too bright, I'm sure if I left the brightness at 100%, then I would actually get backlight bleeding. I only had the monitor for 4 days and then I returned it, but when using the DVI port on the FHD2400, it looked AMAZING! The 245BW cannot even come close to what the FHD2400 offers when connected via DVI. But when using the 360 via the VGA input on the 245BW and the FHD2400 or the HD2200, the 245BW beats them both out. Hope that helps...

That's odd, i have this monitor as I bought it Monday, I do see the component input is darker than the others but HDMI and VGA for me both are very bright. Aside from some minor backlight bleed on the right hand side and that whole EZTune rotation software not working (when I turn the monitor 90 degrees Windows doesn't flip the picture) i'm happy with it.

From my experience so far the G2400W works as advertised.

I think it boils down to a matter of preference. I haven't seen the P243W in any reviews, but the glossy screen is a nice idea.

So far the G2400W has 1:1 pixel mapping, overscan on/off, and HDMI, DVI, VGA connectors.

I have been happy with it, but I'll let you know about 360 over VGA tonight.

Honestly I think I'd prefer the Acer glossy screen though.

Cheers,

10e

well i'm picking up the Westy L2410NM from Sam's Club for $350 out the door....

I'll let you guys know what i think of it, i'll probably get it sunday

Doesn't do 1:1 with any thing at 1920x1080.

Both PC and 360 stretch vertically to 16:10 similar to that Acer screen shot of the P243 we saw on page 1.

Other things are great. PS3 and PC over HDMI/DVI both work excellently.

Overscan works as advertised as well with HDMI/DVI

Regards,

10e

Forgot to mention,

That was only over VGA. HDMI and DVI work properly with 1080i/p

Weirdly enough 1680x1050 cannot do 1:1 with PC.

10e

I just tried VGA output on my Samsung 245BW. It won't do 1:1 pixel mapping. It stretches the image vertically. Anyway I still prefer how it looks on my NEC 20WMGX². Yes, with that I have to set the display to 1280x786 with an "expanded" reference mode. It's just that the NEC is also a TV, so it has a plethora of modes that most "computer monitors" don't have.

I bought my 245BW just because it was a good deal locally, at $399. I might have been happier with a BenQ G2400W though. Apparently it will do 1080P correctly >> [H]ard|Forum BenQ G2400W thread :)

Actually, I didn't have ANY backlight bleed on my FHD2400. The problem was when using the Component or the VGA input, everything was very, very dark. In order for everything to look like a Samsung 245BW at brightness level 50 and contrast level 70, I had to set the Gateway's settings to brightness 100, contrast 98, saturation 90, tint 50. Then the colors were too bright, I'm sure if I left the brightness at 100%, then I would actually get backlight bleeding. I only had the monitor for 4 days and then I returned it, but when using the DVI port on the FHD2400, it looked AMAZING! The 245BW cannot even come close to what the FHD2400 offers when connected via DVI. But when using the 360 via the VGA input on the 245BW and the FHD2400 or the HD2200, the 245BW beats them both out. Hope that helps...

WHOA! Do NOT put your brightness at 100% if you get the Gateway. Are you trying to burn your eyes? There must be something wrong with the one you used because for everyone else with the FHD2400 100% brightness is downright painful. Also, the backlight problems of this monitor are caused by people who keep their brightness too high. If you get the FHD2400, set your brightness at or below 15%. Trust me, it will still be plenty bright.

WHOA! Do NOT put your brightness at 100% if you get the Gateway. Are you trying to burn your eyes? There must be something wrong with the one you used because for everyone else with the FHD2400 100% brightness is downright painful. Also, the backlight problems of this monitor are caused by people who keep their brightness too high. If you get the FHD2400, set your brightness at or below 15%. Trust me, it will still be plenty bright.

Yeah he must have gotten a defective unit to have to turn up brightness that high, it's plenty bright enough for me at 0. I am in a darker room so I can see maybe if he's in a brightly lit room he'd have to turn it up to 10 or 15 but I can not see a working FHD2400 ever needing to be turned up to 100 brightness, that's just too much.

Update,

The BenQ is being returned and I'm keeping my Westy L2410NM.

The BenQ could not size VGA at 1:1 at 1920x1080 with VGA (PC or Xbox), had one dead green sub pixel that developed a few hours after purchase, and would not return to life after being in sleep mode through DVI, even though my Dell 2005WFP connected to the other port would spring back to life.

The L2410NM does proper 1920x1080 over VGA, HDMI, and component (ie. 1080p) and even though it does not do true 1:1 it does do true aspect with NO overscan on any inputs, so it's staying.

I'm extremely happy with it, and it is the best 24" I've ever had. My only issue is the HDMI sleep problem, which consequently, the BenQ has if I connect my PC via HDMI, where I end up with the BenQ purple splash screen.

Hope that helps reinforce your decision.

10e

Update,

The L2410NM does proper 1920x1080 over VGA, HDMI, and component (ie. 1080p) and even though it does not do true 1:1 it does do true aspect with NO overscan on any inputs, so it's staying.

10e

I don't understand. If it does the correct aspect ratio and does not overscan, then what is it that makes it not 1:1?

O.O.

Back