NEC LCD2490WUXi-BK for Gaming?

djt

Limp Gawd
I’m looking at buying another monitor for gaming and photo work but have little experience with LCD’s. I have previously owned two Samsung LCD’s a couple of years ago and was very disappointed in them and went back to my 21&22” CRT’s.

I see that the NEC LCD2490WUXi-BK gets very good reviews and was wondering if it would be any good for gaming with a PC, XBOX 360 and PS3?

This monitor excels in all areas besides one. That would be input lag. It displays two frames of circuit delay. It is up to you to decide if that is too great a number. For me, it is.

Thanks for the response. I’m not very knowledgeable when it comes to LCD’s. What would this lag mean to me as far as gaming is concerned?

My other choice I guess is to grab another 21” CRT, it looks like I can probable still purchase a brand new View Sonic G225fB.

If you play slow paced game slike strategy games, it won't mean much at all. If you play fast paced games like Counter-Strike, it could make a difference. Especially if you are a good player. What this means in simple terms is, if your opponent was using a CRT, you would always be 1/30th of a second behind him in everything you do.

This monitor excels in all areas besides one. That would be input lag. It displays two frames of circuit delay. It is up to you to decide if that is too great a number. For me, it is.

Care to back that up with some linkage?

Most displays besides TN panels (even some of them) display ~30ms behind the input signal, if you don't compete online (or for money) it should not effect you at all, if you do you should have a CRT...period.

i had to return me 24" nec because of the input lag. 2 frames is absolute min. i was getting 3-6 frames lag in some cases, you can definitely feel the lag when playing shooters, since you move the mouse, then the screen moves instead of moving together.

spend the money and get the px2611w instead =]

i had to return me 24" nec because of the input lag. 2 frames is absolute min. i was getting 3-6 frames lag in some cases, you can definitely feel the lag when playing shooters, since you move the mouse, then the screen moves instead of moving together.

spend the money and get the px2611w instead =]

The px2611 has it's problems too, mainly panel uniformity and bleed.

What did you use to get your lag numbers on the 2490? What resolution and what connection? Did you try it with overdrive off? In any case 3-6 frames at 60hz would be around 48-96ms of lag.....I smell trout.

I take it from the comments here I might as well forget it when it comes to an LCD that will replace my CRT’s.

I too am interested in this lcd. It seems to have every feature I really need, but I'm wondering about input lag. Does anyone reading this actually have this monitor or has used it? Notnyt, which nec 24 did you have? Nec makes like 4 of them, and they all vary in features/panel type. On the anandtech lcd thread it says lag is estimated at 33ms, but again it's an estimate...

I too am interested in this lcd. It seems to have every feature I really need, but I'm wondering about input lag. Does anyone reading this actually have this monitor or has used it? Notnyt, which nec 24 did you have? Nec makes like 4 of them, and they all vary in features/panel type. On the anandtech lcd thread it says lag is estimated at 33ms, but again it's an estimate...

Notnyt has the 2470WNX (S-PVA), which has been tested to have about the same 33ms lag as the 2490WUXi (H-IPS). So I'm guessing that he would be just as annoyed by the 2490 as he was by the 2470. There was one other 2470 owner in the same thread that was really bothered by it, but the rest of us don't notice it. I don't think it has affected my ability in online games at all; I don't have to lead targets any more than before, and I can still reach out and touch someone at long range with the sniper rifle, even if they're sprinting.

However, I DO notice it instantly when I get on my old 21" CRT; just moving the mouse around the desktop is alot faster and more responsive. So feel it or not, the lag IS there...some people are just more sensitive to it than others.

Notnyt may have found the only answer available at the moment: the Planar PX2611W. 26" wide-gamut IPS with a 5ms response time and less than 16ms of lag for about $300 less than the 2490...

Back