My impressions Asus P5N-T Deluxe 780i

xp3nd4bl3

2[H]4U
I've been running on a reference XFX 680i board for a while now and I've been very happy with it. At lower multipliers my 680i is good for better than 450 MHz FSB and it ran my Q6600 perfectly stable at 3.6 GHz (9x400). I could get Windows to boot all the way up to 4.05 GHz (9x450) but it required tons of voltage and wouldn't last long enough to run a benchmark. I managed to get it to run 3DMark at 3.825 GHz but it took 1.55V and it wasn't stable.

Because my 680i board was so awesome I wasn't very excited when I had the chance for a free P5N-T Deluxe. However, after going online and reading bad reviews of this board and reading of a huge number of people who couldn't even install Windows at stock clocks, I just HAD to try it for myself. After getting a board I opened up the box and found exactly what I expected from a pricey Asus board; good layout, great build quality, all the accessories and fixings, etc. After plugging all my crap in the first thing I did was update to the latest BIOS. The built-in BIOS update feature that allows you to browse your attached devices for the BIOS file and update it without having to boot DOS, or dare updating in Windows is totally awesome. After a perfectly clean (and fast) install of Windows I started testing the overclocking and stability. The board had no problem matching my 680i's CPU OC of 3.6 GHz stable. I dropped the multiplier to find the max FSB and was disappointed to see it start losing stability after about 425 MHz. I tried upping the voltages (this board has more voltage options than you can shake a dead cat at) to no avail; 425 MHz was as fast as she'd go.

Out of pure curiosity I figured I'd try this board at its max multiplier and max OC, which made my Q6600 run at 3825 MHz. To my surprise the OC was stable. I started dropping the voltage down and found that it was perfectly stable at 3825 MHz at 1.475V. To get through a benchmark on my 680i board I needed 1.55V at this clock and the system was NOT stable.

So the plus side is; I can overclock further than I could before. The downside is that I think my CPU could go farther (4GHz?!) if the board could run at a higher FSB.

Just wanted to share my experience for those thinking about this board.

Update with pics for those of you graphically inclined.

p5ntdeluxe_int1.jpg

p5ntdeluxe_int2.jpg

p5ntdeluxe_oc.jpg

That was about the same limit my 680i had right around 428 it became unstable.

so, do u reccomend this board?? im gona buy a new pc but im not sure about the board...
hey, is this one the memory that ur using?? http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX19274(ME).aspx
what's your case? can u post a picture with the whole PC!? with monitor, pc, speakers and everything else!?

I would only recommend the P5N-T Deluxe if you were my mortal enemy and you enjoy RMAing flaming pieces of dog shit..

My P5N-T lasted for about a week before it gave up the ghost.. I had the same above OP experience until I woke up one morning to the machine being powered on.. fans on.. but no video.. resets yielded no POST, no beeps.. no nothing.. System powered on the fans but thats all.. RMAd it about a 2 weeks ago and have yet to receive it back from ASUS..

If you like Russian Roulette a la PC this is the board for you!!

WOW, u really like this board :D
but how about the nVGA 780i SLI??

Love it man.. Have had no issues w/ the EVGA whatsoever.. Fingers crossed.. I would prefer solid caps and the nicer heatpipe on the ASUS etc but I have no complaints so far.. If you arent going SLI there really is no compelling reason to buy the 680 or 780i imo.. Stick w/ the P35 boards if you are going single GPU..

You had one board die so they are all shit now?

Like I said before.. If you want to roll the dice go ahead.. Judging by your sig you made a better choice to begin with than I did!! ;) Just my .02 anyways.. Though it's hard to ignore the flame fest of this board and the pages and pages of people w/ the same issues all over the web..

Back