Odd Vista problem, says incorrect password when connecting to network share

stevieg

Limp Gawd
Heya,

3 Computer Lan config:

1. "server" running XP pro, has been running flawlessly for 2+ years, is my server network share is called "data"
2. "bigbox" Xp professional as well, Z: is mapped to \\server\data
3. "steve" Vista Ultimate, was working for 3+ months of Z: mapped to \\server\data

-All 3 pc's use the same login name and password in "local users and groups" to maintain user acct rights, "authentication passthrough"
-Password has not changed in over a year

one day i got the typical "you cannot access this resource" when trying to access my mapped network drive from vista pc accessing \\server\data, not uncommon so i rebooted, while rebooting i verified that XP pc "bigbox" can access \\server\data no problem.

Upon reboot and trying to access mapped drive again i get a password prompt, keeps failing saying password is not correct(thats odd i just logged in with that password). Sure enough will not accept the password, reset password on server for user acct. Same problem. Try Administrator acct, same thing. Create NEW user acct. Same thing.

Vista PC can access network share on "bigbox"(other XP pro pc) but not server.

ie.
1 can see 2&3
2 can see 1&3
3 can see 2 but not 1

I am absolutely baffled as to why this wont work anymore.

i'm really thinking this is a VISTA issue as it is the only thing that i can think of and i am havent been through inside and out 1000X a day.

Steve

I don't have an answer as to why that happens, but on the rare occasion that this has happened to me, the only solution that I've found to work is to unmap the mapped drive, reboot, and then map it again, supplying a username and password if necessary. Sometimes I have to unshare the shared drive, then reshare it, making sure I update the permissions before I remap on the other machine. I suspect there may be something going on with the computer browser service whenever this situation occurs, but I've never had it happen often enough to force me to dig down to find out what was going on.

yeah I have tried unmapping the connection and rebooting as well. Thats what has me baffled is there is no discernable reason behind it. Its not a firewall problem as all machines can see each other ie. I get a loging prompt when browsing \\server

Steve

The one way I can usually force this problem to occur is to make a fresh install of XP Home with a different username, then try to map a drive off of an XP Pro machine. Even after turning off the security and firewall services on the both machines, the requested username and password won't let me connect until something happens (and I've never figured out what that "something" is), and then all of a sudden I can connect with no problem.

So far with Vista (knock on wood), this hasn't been an issue. I'm able to connect across all my machines with the same username and password (Vista x64, XP, Mac PPC 10.3.9, Mac Intel 10.5.1, and Linux Samba server).

anyone else? Really don't want to have to re-install (not a big deal but i'm lazy)

Steve

usually enabling guest account on xp home machine wil solve this known issue.. with pro connecting to pro this isnt a problem but when you put XP home into the mix you must have a like user profile and password on home system as the pro system or enable guest accounts on the machines so they can communicate.. this is for the XP home versions on the network,, I cant vouch for home version of vista but this has happened since windows 98 I can remeber...

yeah i have encountered these problems in the old windows 98 days but this is between an xp professional machines and vista ultimate x64.

Steve

ok well i made a little progress today, said screw it and formatted/re-installed my vista machine thinking that it was the latest change in my home network and would be the issue.....apparently not because i have the exact same issue after a clean install.

It seems its the target XP machine that is rejecting the username/password, time for a reinstall on that one i guess.

on another note i just built a windows home server and i am incredibly impressed with it.

Steve

Sounds like the same problems I am having but with printer shares. Have not found the problem yet or the fix yet. seems like no one on here knows anything either.

event viewer didnt give me an real information about any denied security attempts but oddly enough it has been recording events for dates up to a week in the future even though when i check the date/time of the machine it is correct now. Also without me touching anything it works now and I can view all shares on the destination XP machine now....

cue twilight zone music....

Steve

Back