GA-EP35-DS3R vs GA-P35-DS3R

evt

Limp Gawd
Seems like the only thing new in the "E-" suffix is that it has a new feature:

"Revolution energy saving design with GIGABYTE Dynamic Energy Saver(DES) technology"

Is there any 'gotchas' for getting this motherboard over the non-E revision? (which is somehow more expensive)

The EP35-DS3R is supposed to be the same as the P35-DS3R rev2.1, but Gigabyte does provide a different bios for each. The benefit of the EP35-DS3R would be a guarantee of a rev2.1 board.

The automatic CPU fan control on the EP35-DS3R does not appear to be functional with the current bios. I don't know if that is true of the P35-DS3R rev2.1 or not.

None of the special "energy saving" features work when your computer is overclocked.

There's really no difference as most people who decide to overclock won't use the DES feature anyways. PLUS, I believe Gigabyte has made the DES feature a free download for its boards.

Personally, I went with the EP35C-DS3R. The C means it can take DDR2 or DDR3 memory. Not sure I need the feature, but I actually got it cheaper than the original at Newegg.

The EP35-DS3R is supposed to be the same as the P35-DS3R rev2.1, but Gigabyte does provide a different bios for each. The benefit of the EP35-DS3R would be a guarantee of a rev2.1 board.

The automatic CPU fan control on the EP35-DS3R does not appear to be functional with the current bios. I don't know if that is true of the P35-DS3R rev2.1 or not.

None of the special "energy saving" features work when your computer is overclocked.

Which bios are you using, F2 or the beta?

Back