Type Intel Xeon Dual Core E3110
Multi-Core processor technology Dual-Core
64-bit processor Yes
Processor Qty 1
Processor number E3110
Processor socket LGA775 Socket
Clock speed 3 GHz
Processor Manufacturing Process 45 nm
Architecture Features Intel 64 Technology, Enhanced SpeedStep technology, Execute Disable Bit capability, Intel Virtualization Technology
Bus speed 1333 MHz
Thermal Design Power 65 W
Cache Memory
Installed Size L2 cache - 6 MB
Expansion / Connectivity
Expansion Slots Total (Free) None
Compatible Slots 1 x Processor - LGA775 Socket

Looks good ! Wonder what if any mobo's might have a hard time running this chip ?

For the 1000th time...if your board will run the E8400 it will run this 775 socket Xeon CPU. For all intents and purposes there is ZERO difference between these CPUs.

For the 1000th time...if your board will run the E8400 it will run this 775 socket Xeon CPU. For all intents and purposes there is ZERO difference between these CPUs.

wrong, i had a xeon 3060, had tons of problems with it (random reboots etc) because of the cpu microcode. it may work, it may not, but with my experience and others its definitely better to stick to core 2 duos, and processors that are clearly listed as supported for motherboards.

Incorrect. The micro-code is very different. Not all motherboards will work correctly with the Xeon LGA775 CPUs if they don't recognize the micro-code of the CPU.

Funny...I have used no less than 11 Xeon CPUs over the last 3 years and I have never had an issue with them. DFI, Asus, Abit, Gigabyte boards of varying models and BIOS releases with absolutely no problems.

I just ordered the X3110 from buy.com so we will see if this makes 12.

Funny...I have used no less than 11 Xeon CPUs over the last 3 years and I have never had an issue with them. DFI, Asus, Abit, Gigabyte boards of varying models and BIOS releases with absolutely no problems.

I just ordered the X3110 from buy.com so we will see if this makes 12.

It should work in higher end, quality mainboards. Those should have a proper BIOS that supports the Xeon processors. However I wouldn't use a Xeon CPU in a extreme budget rig with some $65 board.

It should work in higher end, quality mainboards. Those should have a proper BIOS that supports the Xeon processors. However I wouldn't use a Xeon CPU in a extreme budget rig with some $65 board.

Indeed.

I was too wondering this.

If we consider that any xeon will work where any C2D will work(subject to personal opinion) is their any advantage to either processor?

I was under the assumption that because of slight differences in between server vs home application, that the xeon was always slower in a gaming rig, but always much faster for I/O type applications(server)

Has anyone noticed or benchmarked The E8400 and the Xeon 3110 in the same system and noticed any performance differences?

does the xeon run cooler?

It shouldn't.

I was too wondering this.

If we consider that any xeon will work where any C2D will work(subject to personal opinion) is their any advantage to either processor?

No, there is not. The processors are identical.

I was under the assumption that because of slight differences in between server vs home application, that the xeon was always slower in a gaming rig, but always much faster for I/O type applications(server)

When comparing LGA771 Xeons to LGA775 Core 2's you are correct but the differences have nothing to do with the CPU and everything to do with the motherboard and memory. Comparing LGA775 Xeons to LGA775 Core 2's you will see idenitcal performance, overclocking and thermals.

Has anyone noticed or benchmarked The E8400 and the Xeon 3110 in the same system and noticed any performance differences?

If the clock speed is the same there will be no difference.

I don't know how many threads I'll have to say this in but the LGA775 Xeons and Core 2's ARE EXACTLY THE SAME!

According to what I've read elsewhere, the CUPID string is identical to the e8400, so it really should be the same chip. A ton of people picked this up yesterday, it's kind of amusing how it got discovered and then sold out in a matter of hours. I'm not sure you can even find them now, people are saying buy.com is out. So I guess we'll see some results in a few days.

Same (overclock) as any E8000s

Heres from Zolkorn (E3110) and mine (E8500)...

screenshot233lf3.jpg

screenshot232he2.jpg

Looks like I'm getting a E3110 for my next build (or a 45nm Quad, whichever comes out as the best price/performance).

Looks like everybody's accepted the fact that they are the same processor, for the most part. With that in mind, I'll assume that it's plagued with the same bullshit temp sensor not functioning properly. Damn, looked good at first, especially that overclock identical to the 8500.

its speculation but they say since they are xeon they are better overclockes and hand voltage better and need less volts because somehow they are made better since they are xeon

the same thing was said about the optys with amd, might be coincidence but out of all the amd chips I had the optys were always the best clockers.

Might not be much validity to it all but thats kind of the consensus. I ahve a xeon 3110 on the way from buy.com for 189.40 shipped. we shall see how it does.

its speculation but they say since they are xeon they are better overclockes and hand voltage better and need less volts because somehow they are made better since they are xeon

the same thing was said about the optys with amd, might be coincidence but out of all the amd chips I had the optys were always the best clockers.

Might not be much validity to it all but thats kind of the consensus. I ahve a xeon 3110 on the way from buy.com for 189.40 shipped. we shall see how it does.

There is no difference between the LGA775 Xeons and the LGA775 Core 2's. I thought this was clear already................

The Opteron vs. Athlon 64/X2's were a different story. Intel doesn't manufacture their processors differently between the two lines.

lol well aside from you SAYING SO nothign was ever made clear about why this is.

what is the difference between what amd did and what intel is doing with the xeons. If you know somethign we dont please tell, i would like to know how you know that. I am not saying your wrong I just would liek to know how you know for sure,

lol well aside from you SAYING SO nothign was ever made clear about why this is.

what is the difference between what amd did and what intel is doing with the xeons. If you know somethign we dont please tell, i would like to know how you know that. I am not saying your wrong I just would liek to know how you know for sure,

Experience tells me they are the same. Just like experience told me that the AMD Opteron (S939) was different from the Athlon 64/X2's. I read up on these things all day, and I've worked with more than a few processors. Though I haven't touched that many LGA775 Xeons, all the ones I have used weren't any worse or any better than their Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad counterparts. Still everything I've read coincides with my experiences.

Dan_D, I think you're going up against a never ending battle here.

Well back in the day the socket 939 Opterons were better than their Athlon counterparts. So many people assume that the Intel server parts are the same way compared to their desktop counterparts. This is simply not true.

Guys;) Please keep the thread clean

Dan is right. This particular 45nm Xeon will be identical with E8000s wolfdale.

i have a xeon on my sig.. running on jiggabyte no problem at all, ill buy another xeon (X3350) when it becomes available..

Purchased the Xeon E3110 from Buy.com, $198 shipped. Received it in ONE day.

The Xeon listed as LGA775 was sold out. There was another one listed as a Socket 771 which nobody was buying . I knew better that any 3XXX Xeon wasn't 771 so I bought it anyway. Sure enough, the Xeon E3110 LGA775 showed up the next day.

Updated my ASUS P5N32-SLI and I now have the equivalent to the E8400.

This is by far the best deal I've seen on a processor in a long time, maybe ever.

I had a Xeon 3060 before this (2.4 GHz) and there is a surprisingly noticable difference playing Half Life 2 with the 3010 (3.0 GHz).

I could have overclocked the 3060 but that would be too easy. I once had it to 3.2 GHz but I don't like the added heat and voltage.

This cpu is an alternative to E8400.

Overclocked the same as any decent batch of E8400. Nothing less, nothing more.

Single-user real life performance will be lower when a server type hardware is used i.e. xeon, scsi cheetah, etc...

Don't believe me ask in storage thread you'll more likely find server admins and similar on there that can give you facts, this thread is mostly for enthusiast.

Not at all with S775 Xeons. They are exactly the same, with a name change.

Purchased the Xeon E3110 from Buy.com, $198 shipped. Received it in ONE day.

The Xeon listed as LGA775 was sold out. There was another one listed as a Socket 771 which nobody was buying . I knew better that any 3XXX Xeon wasn't 771 so I bought it anyway. Sure enough, the Xeon E3110 LGA775 showed up the next day.

Updated my ASUS P5N32-SLI and I now have the equivalent to the E8400.

This is by far the best deal I've seen on a processor in a long time, maybe ever.

I had a Xeon 3060 before this (2.4 GHz) and there is a surprisingly noticable difference playing Half Life 2 with the 3010 (3.0 GHz).

I could have overclocked the 3060 but that would be too easy. I once had it to 3.2 GHz but I don't like the added heat and voltage.

You are absolutely correct about them being the same processor...although they have raised the price on yours to just a tad under $210 ($208.70).

What I'm interested in finding out is your processor's batch code. What did you receive?

From posts that I've seen, Buy.com is shipping Q746A534 to the people that bought the "LGA775" E3110s. Since you bought the one listed as a Socket 771, I was just curious as to what they shipped you.

I realize that it should be the same, but just want it confirmed. :)

From posts that I've seen, Buy.com is shipping Q746A534 to the people that bought the "LGA775" E3110s. Since you bought the one listed as a Socket 771, I was just curious as to what they shipped you.

I bought the E3110 from Buy.com last week and we got it in last Friday. It's socket LGA775. All Xeons that are 3XXX are socket 775 chips.

We put it in a GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L rev 2 board and the system fired right up, recognized the CPU properly and ran at the correct 3 ghz speed. It worked fine on the BIOS it shipped with but we updated it to the latest one. Just setting the FSB to 400mhz had it running at a stable 3.6 ghz. Core temp and Speed Fan give funky looking temps (AC7 pro cooler, properly seated, Antec 900 case). The temps are about 10 - 15 degrees higher than I think they should be: 56º C running Orthos @ 3.6 ghz.

That's the kind of news I was looking for.

Ordered from the same place, and got the same motherboard. :)

Buy.com is sold out now.

In fact, I can't find these anywhere! Nuts.

Edit: $218 shipped at ComputerHQ.com, found it through cnet shopper.

Back