8800GTS 320 to 8800GTS 512.

Copyright

Supreme [H]ardness
Just picked up an 8800GTS 512 off of newegg. Curious if I will really notice the difference over my 8800GTS 320. I know I can use the step up program if something better comes along soon. Im not intrested in the 9800GX2 as I wont spend that much $ and not sure id like the extra heat and noise along with probably needing a larger PSU.. I assume the 9800GTX if it releases would be the next upgrade?

I just upgraded from 8800gts 320 to 3870x2 (which I got rid of earlier today). I saw your post earlier but couldnt comment as I was waiting for my new card.
Iam now am a proud owner of an EVGA 8800gts g92 as of 30 minutes ago. Well in comparison to the 8800gts 320 = huge difference in Crysis. I played at 1280x 1020 and my highest with the 320 was at medium settings with lots of constant dips in fps to around 18-20 fps. I now can play high at consistent framerates from 35 to 45. Still testing some other games but I think if you game at 1600x1200 you will definitely see a difference from your old card.

Awesome... after selling my old card it was about 83$ out of my pocket for the upgrade.. im kinda wondering where that leaves me for the step up program or if there is a card worth stepping up to in the next 90 days. My little GTS held its own for a while. I was getting a little over 12K in 3dmark06 but some games would take nasty dips with AA turned up. Glad you could give me an idea of the comparison. If you dont mind me asking... why did you return the 3870x2?

I returned the 3870x2 for a few reasons:
1. Flaky performance in games: It would run flawless in parts of the game then it would crap out and dip to unplayable fps.
2. The driver support: AMD is not handling the support at the level I would want it to be. Ask any 3870x2 owner and they will tell you "just wait til the new drivers come out" I bought and paid quite a chunk of money to enjoy the card now, not to optimistically wait and rely on the next 'great' driver.
3. What finally got me over the fence to return it was the news of the 4000 series coming out very soon (to me soon = 3-6 months).

So in all I think the 8800gts is either a good placeholder or a keeper depending on what comes out from either Nvidia or AMD in the coming months.

Your response doesn't surprise me. Ive read this a few times already. Ive done a few systems with 3850's and for the price at the time I was impressed with these cards. The 3870x2 will probably get better with time but everyone keeps saying this is an Ultra killer and its far from it. Ive seen many reviews where the 3870x2 did not do well at all and was even beat by a single 3870. I think Drivers will eventually get it better but by then who knows what will be out. I'm hoping the 8800GTS 512 is all I need for a while. Sometimes I just get sick of upgrades.

I'm hoping the 8800GTS 512 is all I need for a while. Sometimes I just get sick of upgrades.

Oh yeah definitely gonna be good for 2008. I've heard some rumors about the new 9800gtx coming out in Q2 and if it doesnt disappoint and follows the path of its older legendary gtx brother then I think it would be worth stepping up to even if it's $600. Look at the GTX now it still an awesome card after how long its been out. I agree with you on the GX2 I'm not going anywhere near SLI or Crossfire. The technology is still in its infancy imo. Enjoy your new card.

I think you made a wise decision, the 8800GTS 512MB will last you through 2008.

I noticed an immediate difference when I upgraded my 320MB 8800GTS to an 8800GT 512MB.

CoD4 and TF2 now run noticeably smoother and can handle AA and AF easily @ 1680x1050.

Just think, your GTS 512MB is even faster .... ;)

Thanks for the input... maybe I wont have to worry about stepping up afterall. By the end of 2008 ill be looking forward to another tax return lol.

Thanks for the read kyle. Makes me feel better about my purchase. If they do deliver us a 9800GT and GTX I will avoid any reading because I will probably buy one :) Upgrading has become an addiction for me lately.

Back