Vista 64-bit SP1 OUT!

It's showing up for me too. "Total: 1 important update, 120.0MB - 711.6MB" :eek:

I have to wait since I'll be moving over to a new motherboard Saturday. I don't want to chance messing up my main desktop before then.

It's showing up for me too. "Total: 1 important update, 120.0MB - 711.6MB" :eek:

on a side note...7.3 years??!?! wow.

Well I guess that's still in the 2000's. But still! That's a long ass time!

I just installed it. Nothing wrong at the moment. Anyone know what kind of updates or upgrades SP1 has?

beside the fact I find out my loading on websites is a lot faster but that maybe because of a fresh restart haha :p

would someone who owns FSX (and, hopefully, Acceleration) be kind enough to benchmark FSX pre-SP1 and post-SP1? That's a big issue for me and pretty much why I've stayed on XP so far (framerates). If FSX finally does well on Vista, I'd be up for it.

Whats in it that we dont allready down load everyday ? Mine says downloading 121.5MB total, so I guess its subjective to what you allready have installed.

wow I like this improvement!

Improves performance over Windows Vista’s current performance across the following scenarios:
• 25% faster when copying files locally on the same disk on the same machine
• 45% faster when copying files from a remote non-Windows Vista system to a SP1 system
• 50% faster when copying files from a remote SP1 system to a local SP1 system

Ran update, SP1 showed up on the second try, downloading now via x64 update. I am assuming that only the x64 update is available because the drivers install better.

I'll be curious to see if Audio CD playback is broken for anyone else besides me.

Oh no; I hope there will be no audio probs either; just got done resolving the X-FI, 4gb, x64 issues (a couple months ago).

I just wish that they hadn't capitulated to the unreasonable expectations of antivirus companies who've forced them to weaken Kernel Patch Protection for.. no apparent reason at all. McAfee were one of the complainants, yet I'm running McAfee Enterprise (I have to use it) on my Vista x64 system quite fine. So apparently things work fine without dangerous kernel-patching, so why couldn't Microsoft just have stood their ground over this? It's not as if Windows Live OneCare has a back-door to patching the kernel that other antivirus companies don't get; it's just a dangerous and unnecessary practice.

Anyone encounter the endless reboots?

Negative. Vista x64 Business Edition.

I got SP1 last night. the time it took felt rather quick, shorter than the hour or more it suggested. The download may look like it froze, but when I paid attention, I found that it downloaded stuff, then it did some things on the HDD, then downloaded more, etc...

So don't fret if it looks like the DL is hanging.

Personally, I haven't worked with it long enough to notice improvements. I did, however, get kicked from my clan's server every 2 minutes while playing CoD4 post SP1 for PB reasons. I have windows firewall disabled before and after, and it was updated before sp1. I actually had to go into my router and forward the ports for Punkbuster, something I never did before due to "gaming mode' in my router.

Otherwise, I hope this stops the hangs and freezes that I had before. One improvement I did notice is CoD4 no longer minimizes to the taskbar right away when I start it. I think that was aero related as it would go from basic back to aero when I left the game.

Oh no; I hope there will be no audio probs either; just got done resolving the X-FI, 4gb, x64 issues (a couple months ago).
It's happened with two different sound cards, so far, so I don't think its driver related or hardware related.

The install is done; nice and long and scarry; I will have to come back in a couple hours to report; 1st reboot was slow. Man, when they deploy this, the long install is going to freak people out.

Anyone know if SP1 for 32bit is out yet? I got an email from Microsoft this morning before work saying that it was, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

I just wish that they hadn't capitulated to the unreasonable expectations of antivirus companies who've forced them to weaken Kernel Patch Protection for.. no apparent reason at all. McAfee were one of the complainants, yet I'm running McAfee Enterprise (I have to use it) on my Vista x64 system quite fine. So apparently things work fine without dangerous kernel-patching, so why couldn't Microsoft just have stood their ground over this? It's not as if Windows Live OneCare has a back-door to patching the kernel that other antivirus companies don't get; it's just a dangerous and unnecessary practice.
"Antitrust." They believed Microsoft were playing unfairly.

Anyway, I'm running 32-bit Ultimate on a laptop - anybody able to get it yet?

so why couldn't Microsoft just have stood their ground over this? ... it's just a dangerous and unnecessary practice.
Why did MS give in? Two letters: EC. If MS hadn't caved, they probably would have another anti-trust lawsuit against files against them by US based companies to "protect" the consumer. And in the end the result would have been the same, with MS lighter by several hundred million dollars flowing into the EC's coffers. :rolleyes:

I really hope this hole can be disabled, or plugged using another app. I don't ever want any 3rd party processes to hook into the kernel unnecessarily.

Time to install Vista I guess :D I have a habit of waiting for the first service pack before I make my jumps.

I just checked the SP1 details and its still says beta, btw..

I'm encountering audio problems after the update. I will let you know if I've fixed it.

My card is a X-Fi XtremeGamer, and I'm running Vista Ultimate (64-bit)

Hmm this is weird because I'm not getting any updates through windows update. I'm running windows vista business x64 w/ SP1 RC3

Anyone encounter the endless reboots?

The endless reboots weren't from SP1 but from KB937287 which was a prerequisite update. Not having that patch doesn't prevent one from installing SP1, just from installing it via Windows Update.

I have installed KB937287 on four machines now, without issue.

I have just finished installing SP1 via update as well. It was quicker than I expected. about 25 minutes.So far everything is looking good.

Just a reminder to folks about SP1. Installing SP1 basically resets all of Vista's superfetch and tuning information back to day 1. It is possible that you may see performance loss for the first few days until Vista finishes re-tuning itself. It needs to re-learn all of your usage paterns.

Hmm this is weird because I'm not getting any updates through windows update. I'm running windows vista business x64 w/ SP1 RC3

That's because as far as windows update is concerned, you have SP1 installed. If you are running a beta version of SP1 you have to uninstall it through add/remove programs.

Well I fixed my audio problems by reinstalling the drivers. Nothing major.

Everything else is working fine though :)

Does anyone know when they are going to be shipping x64 Vista SP1 on DVDs? I want to upgrade to Vista but I would rather have the DVD with SP1 already instead of having to download it everytime I went to install Vista.

Does anyone know when they are going to be shipping x64 Vista SP1 on DVDs? I want to upgrade to Vista but I would rather have the DVD with SP1 already instead of having to download it everytime I went to install Vista.
You'll have those update files to download and stick on a disc, if needed. Every SP has an option for a stand-alone installer. The TechNet versions come as a single file .exe or a DVD with both x86 and x64 versison on them.

SP1 was out for a day, but was pulled due to KB937287 problems. Here's the blog post.

We've heard a few reports about problems customers may be experiencing as a result of KB937287, the servicing stack update I blogged about last week, and I wanted to provide a quick update for you. Immediately after receiving reports of this error, we made the decision to temporarily suspend automatic distribution of the update to avoid further customer impact while we investigate possible causes.

So far, we've been able to determine that this problem only affects a small number of customers in unique circumstances. We are working to identify possible solutions and will make the update available again shortly after we address the issue.

Customers who may be experiencing this issue can use system restore to correct it or contact 1-866-PC-Safety for help troubleshooting. Additional guidance will be available via Microsoft's free Update Support Center soon.

And I had to share this, too ---
you guys made windows vista un usefull now your trying to break our pc from that issue wow ill be glad if windows 7 woulnt be windows vista because you product is cheap now im going to switch back to winxp

That just cracked me up... not really sure why, but it did...

No, I understand I can slipstream the SP1 in to Vista DVDs and create my own, but do you know when the media with Vista + SP1 will be shipping?

Back