Full computer freeze HELP needed - Inspiron 530, Q6600 Porcessor, WinXP Pro

Fast_Draw

n00b
I have a New quad core Q6600 Inspiron 530 with WinXP Pro & 4 GB of properly speced RAM

I finally got around to booting up the system and putting all my various programs on the system and putting all settings just right ... and ten this:

It COMPLETELY FREEZES/CRASHES when using either Firefox or FeedDemon. FeedDemon uses IE as its 'internal' browser.

I initially thought this is hardware based b/c it's not as if a single program stops responding, the mouse doesn't move, the hard drive stops seeking, and the screen image remains fixed indefinitely.

I doubt it's the video card b/c it seems somewhat program specific.

I suppose it still could be software based because the only programs where its frozen (well over 2 dozen times) is either Firefox or FeedDemon, both HTML viewers essentially; but I don't know why it would completely freeze everything as opposed to just make the program unresponsive.

I have the latest BIOS, video, and any other drivers that are listed on the dell support site. I've gone so far as to run RAM diagnostics, which say the RAM is fine. I've disabled the Quad core to just 2 core, didn't work. NOTHING is fixing this!

I am clueless, I BEG for your help!

Back